Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DinkLv
DinkLv

Re: Red Bull RB18

Red Bull's floor after FP1. A very unique bargeboard layout and well-refined diffusion tunnel as well. Are the silver strakes legal? The diffusion curve and CoP could probably be determined through these two images.

Last edited by DinkLv on 08 Apr 2022, 10:45, edited 4 times in total.

Stu

Andi76 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 20:42
Craig Scarborough just posted a rear suspension layout, probably similar to the RB18s. He adds that RBR reaction bar may has his own spring as it has a linear sensor mounted to it, creating a dual rate heave spring effect.

I’m not so sure. It would depend on how the torsion bar is anchored. If the sketch is correct. The “heave spring” is beneath the anchor point and would not rotate.
I think that what has been labelled as a “heave spring” is the anchor-point for the torsion bars (it is certainly adjustable for length (pre-load/ride-height control?) and looks as though it totally decouples the primary torsion bars from roll (these may well only work in heave?).The dampers on the top of the gearbox are what I would expect from a decoupled roll/heave system. I would expect that if there are individual wheel dampers they are out of shot, but they may not be required.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

DinkLv wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 08:04
Red Bull's floor after FP1. Very unique bargeboard layout. The red line seems like the start for a concave area. Is the silver strake (marked in green) legal?

https://i.imgur.com/NM0WLh3.jpg
Adrian will have the poor lads drawn and quartered for this :lol:

etusch

DinkLv wrote:
Red Bull's floor after FP1. Very unique bargeboard layout. The red line seems like the start for a concave area. Are the silver strakes (marked in green) legal? The diffusion curve and CoP could probably be determined through these two images.

Very surprised how they carry this very important part of car so openly. I am sure they know very well that it will be pictured

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I'm suprised this metallic strip is allowed in the regulations. I think Merc have some sort of vane around that area, but I wonder if this might be more than just a vortex generator. Maybe it's something like a skirt, or helping with the floor running close to the ground without touching.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Vanja #66

DinkLv wrote:
Red Bull's floor after FP1. A very unique bargeboard layout and well-refined diffusion tunnel as well. Are the silver strakes legal? The diffusion curve and CoP could probably be determined through these two images.

https://i.imgur.com/LGvSpN7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XhvP8YR.jpg
Really interesting geometry of internal walls around the chassis to the rear, with several stepped sections. Hard to determine the entire geometry, even with top-view photo. Might be aimed at reducing drag, I've tried something similar once with an aerospace project. Maybe I'll try to make a rough blunt-body tunnels with similar geometry to see what happens.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Bandit1216

DinkLv wrote:

Can I conclude the 1st channel serves floor seal purpose, the 2nd a bit of both and the 3rd is mainly the low pressure, high air speed downforce generator?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

SiLo

Owen.C93 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 11:28
I'm suprised this metallic strip is allowed in the regulations. I think Merc have some sort of vane around that area, but I wonder if this might be more than just a vortex generator. Maybe it's something like a skirt, or helping with the floor running close to the ground without touching.

https://i.imgur.com/wWc9BRm.png
We need to get some of the guys that are more familiar with the rule looking at this, surely they aren't legal?
Felipe Baby!

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 08:43
DinkLv wrote:
Red Bull's floor after FP1. Very unique bargeboard layout. The red line seems like the start for a concave area. Are the silver strakes (marked in green) legal? The diffusion curve and CoP could probably be determined through these two images.

Very surprised how they carry this very important part of car so openly. I am sure they know very well that it will be pictured
Seems to suggest that maybe it is not that big a deal. Perhaps their magic lies elsewhere?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Lefty8
Lefty8

SiLo wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 12:30
Owen.C93 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/wWc9BRm.png
We need to get some of the guys that are more familiar with the rule looking at this, surely they aren't legal?

if not legal how then would it pass scrutineering at 3 GP?

vorticism

Given their sidepod ramps and this surprise strake it seems like RB are still leaders at working with the tire-diffuser-floor complex.
Last edited by vorticism on 08 Apr 2022, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

PlatinumZealot

DinkLv wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/XhvP8YR.jpg
It's a masterpeice by Newey again. Gentle fondling of the airflow. Not the brutish diverting that you see on other cars.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Owen.C93 wrote:

Yes. I thought this ride height limiters were banned??

Unless... It is above the reference plane?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gandharva

To me it looks more and more like the car lacks downforce (compared to F1-75) or they cannot add more because of engine deficit.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

So..
The inner most, largest vane stops quite short of the floor edge.
Its vortex sheds off the tip, exits the floor through the first U shape cutout, then immediately re-enters the floor at the second cut, joining up with a the vortex being shed from that rearward vane..
Possibly