McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zxof
zxof

Re: McLaren MCL36

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 07:30
I know there is a lot of questions in regards to the choice of sidepod concept from McLaren, but from this view I really like how it looks… Hope they get the concept to work

https://i.imgur.com/61U5Ybd.jpg

Vía XPB NextGen-Auto
Two of the faster teams have a considerable size sidepods so it's not all about "slimming them down".

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

zxof wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 15:02
SmallSoldier wrote:
I know there is a lot of questions in regards to the choice of sidepod concept from McLaren, but from this view I really like how it looks… Hope they get the concept to work

Vía XPB NextGen-Auto
Two of the faster teams have a considerable size sidepods so it's not all about "slimming them down".
Not disagreeing, clearly the wide sidepod concept has shown more benefits this season and going for the slimmest package is not showing the same amount of performance.

I would argue that a lot of focus is placed on the sidepods, but the downforce generated from the floor might be more critical… Since the teams with slimmer sidepods (McLaren, Mercedes) aren’t create as much DF from the floor, they are been forced to run more front and rear wing, therefore more drag and the penalties that come with it… While still missing DF compared to the likes of Ferrari and RBR.

zxof
zxof

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 16:07
zxof wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 15:02
SmallSoldier wrote:

Vía XPB NextGen-Auto
Not disagreeing, clearly the wide sidepod concept has shown more benefits this season and going for the slimmest package is not showing the same amount of performance.

I would argue that a lot of focus is placed on the sidepods, but the downforce generated from the floor might be more critical… Since the teams with slimmer sidepods (McLaren, Mercedes) aren’t create as much DF from the floor, they are been forced to run more front and rear wing, therefore more drag and the penalties that come with it… While still missing DF compared to the likes of Ferrari and RBR.

Yep, I get your point.

Ericd735i
Ericd735i

Maybe someone smarter than me can answer. Watching onboards the car looks just too stiff and understeery up front in the low speed corners. In a normal car I’d say they need to soften the front spring/anti-roll bars, but I know you have to have some spring rate to counter the downforce. Is there a reason they can’t run softer for more mechanical grip and the heave dampers counteract the compression from the aero?

JordanMugen

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 16:07
The sidepod shape dictates the pressure distribution on the top of the floor, and the downforce generated by the floor is of course based on the pressure differential between the top and the bottom of the floor, so I don't think the "downforce generated from the floor" is independent of the sidepod shape.

JordanMugen

What is the advantage of the McLaren splitter design? Why would you want to send that clean, central air flow not underneath the car but rather out to the sides?

scheffers
scheffers

JordanMugen wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 04:53
What is the advantage of the McLaren splitter design? Why would you want to send that clean, central air flow not underneath the car but rather out to the sides?
Regulations, these 'splitters' are used to create vortexes on the floor edge...

mclaren111

Nice Close-up...

Pity it doesn't work...

Emag
Emag

mclaren111 wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 12:42
Nice Close-up...

Pity it doesn't work...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FO3mFn0X0A0 ... ame=medium
It does work. That's not the problem they have though.

BassVirolla

scheffers wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 06:46
JordanMugen wrote:
Regulations, these 'splitters' are used to create vortexes on the floor edge...
Not for regulations; other cars are taking the air from the splitter (a.k.a. tea tray) under the floor. The MCL36 takes that air over the floor, from the center to the outside, in front of the sidepods. Probably for outwashing front tire wake.

What are essentially used to shed vortexes along the floor edge are the strakes.

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 12:50
mclaren111 wrote:
Nice Close-up...

Pity it doesn't work...

Ok... I thought it was our floor... What is our problem ?

Marc.W

mclaren111 wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 13:58
Emag wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 12:50
mclaren111 wrote:
Nice Close-up...

Pity it doesn't work...

Ok... I thought it was our floor... What is our problem ?
The floor is quite a sizeable area 😂

Emag
Emag

According to the team, they are missing downforce, and quite a lot of it.

Obviously, they can have plenty of downforce from the wings so you have to assume they are missing underfloor downforce, and the reason why, I can't tell you because it could be many things. Probably even the team doesn't know 100% why, otherwise they would have a fix ready soon.

But the area you showed, is a detail on the outer edge which helps seal the floor (I think). And it wouldn't make much sense for the thing that is supposed to increase the floor efficiency to be the culprit behind the lack of its efficiency.

Plus, Ferrari brought a very similar design in Bahrain for their car, so we can be certain it's theoretically sound at least.

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
I think releasing some air from the side, will encourage air flow from the front. It's a manipulated Venturi efdfect.

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 15:45
According to the team, they are missing downforce, and quite a lot of it.

Obviously, they can have plenty of downforce from the wings so you have to assume they are missing underfloor downforce, and the reason why, I can't tell you because it could be many things. Probably even the team doesn't know 100% why, otherwise they would have a fix ready soon.

But the area you showed, is a detail on the outer edge which helps seal the floor (I think). And it wouldn't make much sense for the thing that is supposed to increase the floor efficiency to be the culprit behind the lack of its efficiency.

Plus, Ferrari brought a very similar design in Bahrain for their car, so we can be certain it's theoretically sound at least.

Thanks for the info... :D