McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
_DM_

Re: McLaren MCL36

_cerber1 wrote:
20 May 2022, 15:10
I like the new form better, I hope it is just as effective.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTM3tAwWQAE ... name=large
https://app.box.com/s/q5spszjrnzag2crtmajagvsl4kiza3ip
Like a Ferrari?

Emag

_DM_ wrote:
21 May 2022, 12:15
_cerber1 wrote:
20 May 2022, 15:10
I like the new form better, I hope it is just as effective.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTM3tAwWQAE ... name=large
https://app.box.com/s/q5spszjrnzag2crtmajagvsl4kiza3ip
Like a Ferrari?
Nope, just a downwashing channel.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
21 May 2022, 10:34
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 May 2022, 21:30
diffuser wrote:
20 May 2022, 20:20

From what I've read, the problem with the narrow bod or a design with a large exposed floor is porposing. You can't keep the floor from flexing and being sucked down too low in certain areas and stalling. While with large sidepods you can have as many stays under the sidepods as you need.
McLaren wasn’t really suffering from Porpoising from with a narrow sidepods… The larger (wider) sidepods seem to help with front tire wake management and reduce drag generated by the rear tires
Well, there is that. The wider sidepods get used to control the airflow to the rear.

We're they not having porpoising cause their ride height was higher that it should have been and sacrificing DF? That is the questions.
If I’m not wrong, McLaren was driving their car lower than anyone else from day 1 of testing, porpoising hasn’t been an issue for them so far. And they haven’t had a need for stays on the floor either.

Having a “wide sidepod” concept may allow you to use stays, but is not the reason why teams choose that philosophy

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 May 2022, 16:07
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 May 2022, 21:30

McLaren wasn’t really suffering from Porpoising from with a narrow sidepods… The larger (wider) sidepods seem to help with front tire wake management and reduce drag generated by the rear tires
Well, there is that. The wider sidepods get used to control the airflow to the rear.

We're they not having porpoising cause their ride height was higher that it should have been and sacrificing DF? That is the questions.
If I’m not wrong, McLaren was driving their car lower than anyone else from day 1 of testing, porpoising hasn’t been an issue for them so far. And they haven’t had a need for stays on the floor either.

Having a “wide sidepod” concept may allow you to use stays, but is not the reason why teams choose that philosophy
I know they were having porpoising problems early. Looks like Merc is getting it to work finally.

GrizzleBoy

diffuser wrote:
21 May 2022, 16:26
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I know they were having porpoising problems early. Looks like Merc is getting it to work finally.
Hmmm I think I have to agree with smallsoldier on this one.

Since the first test when they ended up with the fastest time, they were first team I could hear the have their cars plank skip merrily along the ground and see no bouncing at all.

It's still the same even now imo. You can hear the plank skipping along on the straights and no porpoising.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I remember the articles from the “shake up” (Barcelona testing) this year and everyone was trying to point out how and why McLaren weren’t showing showing signs of porpoising, while at the same time they were running the car very low compared to others… McLaren never had bit porpoising issues (not like what we were watching from Ferrari, Mercedes, etc)

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 May 2022, 16:32
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I remember the articles from the “shake up” (Barcelona testing) this year and everyone was trying to point out how and why McLaren weren’t showing showing signs of porpoising, while at the same time they were running the car very low compared to others… McLaren never had bit porpoising issues (not like what we were watching from Ferrari, Mercedes, etc)

Yeah I can see the old articles show the floor changes they made the fix before the season started.

M840TR

The whole front brake saga really illustrates how much old equipment has held the team back. Not only has it slowed development in general but probably also closes off many opportunities because the guys can't confidently innovate without high risk of failure. I really think the new tunnel & simulator could be a game changer. We've seen with the 35M what they can do once assured the development direction is solid.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
24 May 2022, 14:32
The whole front brake saga really illustrates how much old equipment has held the team back. Not only has it slowed development in general but probably also closes off many opportunities because the guys can't confidently innovate without high risk of failure. I really think the new tunnel & simulator could be a game changer. We've seen with the 35M what they can do once assured the development direction is solid.
Did someone actually come out and say that the front brake problem was caused by the OLD wind tunnel/ Equipment? McLaren have argubaly had the best brakes over the last decade. I find it hard to beleive that they screw them up one year and all of a sudden it's the old equipment's fault?

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
24 May 2022, 16:11
M840TR wrote:
Did someone actually come out and say that the front brake problem was caused by the OLD wind tunnel/ Equipment? McLaren have argubaly had the best brakes over the last decade. I find it hard to beleive that they screw them up one year and all of a sudden it's the old equipment's fault?
It's an inability to accurately simulate their impact in real-world, all the same I think.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:22
diffuser wrote:
24 May 2022, 16:11
M840TR wrote:
It's an inability to accurately simulate their impact in real-world, all the same I think.
You maybe right, I maybe crazy but it just might be a lunatic you're looking for....

Still find it hard to beleive that 10 out of 10 years on the same equipement they build top 3 brakes then in the 11th year it goes wrong and it's the equipment. Especially not knowing if they move someone new to that section or something. Lots of room for error in that argument.

Lucky

diffuser

Lucky wrote:
24 May 2022, 23:51
I guess Monaco is just all turns made up of the turns in the final chicane ? They didn't take the whole last sector, just the chicane????

I love the tool but that's an absolute garbage of a stat. Norris has been very fast at chicanes at every race this year. Problem is they lose a ton of time everywhere else in Spain's sector 3.

mclaren111

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 May 2022, 16:32
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Maybe that's why we're so slow... :(

SmallSoldier

The MCL36 for Monaco:

Via: Albert Fabrega