McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
haza

Re: McLaren MCL36

I find it strange there in the renders at all it’s a massive upgrade

f1rules

i just spotted it also, mclaren has done this in the past of showing renders of future updates, one thing though, disregard the fw, they always use the same basic render where the elements are nothing like the real deal, the sidepods however im sure thats the real deal, diffuser probably not

MrGapes

probably a bit of artistic license applied here we think?

f1rules

from the past they always used same fw and diffuser is a generic one i think, but sidepods no doubt for real, they would not waste time constructing something just for the fun of it and which 98% dont give a xxxx about, but really big update for sure, some comments

> front bib is changed and will be interesting to se closeups
> I think the ramp has been extended even further back
> updated wing conditioners
> venturi channels updated incl inlet
> floor edge im unsure about, if they show the real deal
> Sidepod design updated, more undercut, interesting if they had to move some of the electronics placed in that area, which was a lot

Definitly the biggest update of the year and a clear sign of whats to come for next year, a baby rb clone :-)

Oh yeah, the colors, the worst ive ever seen on a mclaren i think, horrible in every way, but if the upgrade works i dont care

f1rules

sidepod ramp extension, the curvature seems more straight and extends longer?

and about the fw, they dont even bother to fit the basic wings to their original endplate design :-) its been like that all year long, they just cut out the real wing elements and paste the generic

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 11:11
Yeah interesting intakes that share some features with the RB ones and interesting vertical splitter
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdpryixXwAA ... ame=medium
Cockpit looks a little closer to the front wheels

PhillipM

I would assume the monocoque is the same there, I know I've not been around much but those would have been hard to hide from the manufacturing floor :lol:

Macklaren

So what do you guys think overall - Did McLaren abandon their philosophy and go down a Ferrari + RBR route?

Sidebar: I think the colors are fine... It is something different but I really hope they go back to papaya and dark blue next year instead of this neon stuff

f1rules

yes they did(rb), and for sure its the route theyll chose for next year. Had it not been for their forward radiator layout, im sure theyd gone for a even more rb inspired solution, with more undercut but due to packaging reasons its not possible, its good rb once again can set the standard alle the others will copy :D and sad when youre a 20+ year mclaren fan, but no problem we have key who every year is so surprised about the gains the other teams made...

SmallSoldier

If the renders are close to the end product, the most interesting change for me would be in the width of the sidepods, which were still on the “slim” side compared to the rest of the field up to the current iteration (bar Mercedes of course)

Blackout

f1rules wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 12:46
> Sidepod design updated, more undercut, interesting if they had to move some of the electronics placed in that area, which was a lot
To where? Dont forget that the reason they have that ultra slim splitter is because they moved all the electronics and stuff, that is usually placed in the splitter, to the sidepods.
The question marks for me are:
- why did they place their cooling components so far forwards?
- why didnt they use Merc's water air intercooler that was designed for this compressor, like the other Merc teams did, and continued with air-air interccolers that are placed so for from the engine?
- why they dont use big undercuts on the monocoque sides like most teams do, and opted for this monolithic monocoque shape instead?

All these points are obviously related, but what's the route cause? probably the monocoque shape..

RB who has the same split-turbo layout and also uses air-air intercoolers did the complete opposite. They did everything to put the coolers as close as possible to the compressor etc.

Regarding the new small undercut under the new extended sidepod lower lips, they hade some empty space there
Last edited by Blackout on 27 Sep 2022, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier

Blackout wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 18:02
f1rules wrote:
To where? Dont forget that the reason they have that ultra slim splitter is because they moved all the electronics and stuff, that is usually placed in the splitter, to the sidepods.
- why didnt they use Merc's water air intercooler that was designed for this compressor, like the other Merc teams did, and continued with air-air interccolers that are placed so for from the engine?
- why they dont use big undercuts on the monocoque sides like most teams do, and opted for this monolithic monocoque shape instead?

All these points are obviously related, but what's the route cause? probably the monocoque shape..

RB who has the same split-turbo layout and also uses air-air intercoolers did the complete opposite. They did every thing to put the coolers as close as possible to the compressor etc.
https://i.imgur.com/lLGD9fV.jpg

Regarding the new small undercut under the new extended sidepod lower lips, they hade some empty space there
https://i.imgur.com/A1kGw0k.jpg
They may not have had to move much… Their sidepods were still very narrow from a top view perspective, making them wider would create the undercut without the need to move the electronics.

diffuser

f1rules wrote:
from the past they always used same fw and diffuser is a generic one i think, but sidepods no doubt for real, they would not waste time constructing something just for the fun of it and which 98% dont give a xxxx about, but really big update for sure, some comments

> front bib is changed and will be interesting to se closeups
> I think the ramp has been extended even further back
> updated wing conditioners
> venturi channels updated incl inlet
> floor edge im unsure about, if they show the real deal

Definitly the biggest update of the year and a clear sign of whats to come for next year, a baby rb clone :-)

Oh yeah, the colors, the worst ive ever seen on a mclaren i think, horrible in every way, but if the upgrade works i dont care

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdqAHM5XkAE ... name=large
The pictures from above show a Alpine type channel down the top./back of the sidepods but the side shot doesn't?

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 18:02
f1rules wrote:

RB who has the same split-turbo layout and also uses air-air intercoolers did the complete opposite. They did everything to put the coolers as close as possible to the compressor etc.
https://i.imgur.com/lLGD9fV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/A1kGw0k.jpg

I think what he's seeing is that the sidepod lower front entry section now starts at the same distance forward as the upper part. They've taken that and sculpted it in to a more gradual curve. Plus the new picture's sidepods are wider that the original release sidepods lending itself to looking like a larger undercut. The truth is the under cut is the same, it's the overcut forward and outward(horizontally) that has grown.

PhillipM

Expecting only a couple tenths, even with this package apparently, so might only be a wash with Alpine's upgrades coming too, sounds like it might also be mainly to get the concept in and refined before next year, would tie in with why they're making the new rear wing to test I guess.