2022 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2022 car comparison thread

Interesting that the top one - McLaren? - doesn't take the floor entry across to the tub keel. Air from there is pushed up on top of the floor instead. Everyone else takes keel air under the floor.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 06:17
Beam wing and Diffuser comparison of Merc, Ferrari and RB.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMSIv6yXoAg ... ame=medium
Interesting to see RedBull using less than the allowed diffuser dimensions. Rounded top corners and some attempt to achieve lateral expansion in to the tyre wake as on previous generation cars.

I won't be surprised to see all cars go this way. It'll be contrary to what the rules are trying to achieve but that's F1.

Perhaps a rewording of the diffuser regs will tighten this area up, although not sure how that would be done.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AeroDynamic

_cerber1

OO7
OO7

Blackout

The Merc and Alpine cockpit and driver seem to be positioned much more forward than many cars
https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/fr/ ... 68405.html

Longley
Longley

If I remember correctly a more forward cockpit increases the length of the Venturi tunnels (-> higher downforce) but the management of the front tires turbulence is more difficult due to the shortened distance to the sidepods.

So Alpine and Mercedes are aiming for longer tunnels with their concepts.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

What I always find amazing is when on SM and people take 1 look at a car and act as if how it looks means anything. I’ve lost count of how many ‘Newey’s a genius’ comments I’ve seen. The RedBull could be the class of the field but claiming that after 1 photo? Insanity.

AeroDynamic

endplate winglet comparison

Marble
Marble

Andi76
Andi76

Restomaniac wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 23:40
What I always find amazing is when on SM and people take 1 look at a car and act as if how it looks means anything. I’ve lost count of how many ‘Newey’s a genius’ comments I’ve seen. The RedBull could be the class of the field but claiming that after 1 photo? Insanity.
I agree. The Red Bull definetely has a lot of great solutions, but saying it is the fastest...thats not possible. Not with 1 picture and not with 100. Saying Newey is a genius - he definetely is, but if this car is a masterpiece and he did a phenomenal job - no one can say this right now. And as every F1 Designer also Newey sometimes does wrong. In 2009 he missed the loophole of the double-diffusor. The MP4-18 was a disaster. In 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 his concepts and aerodynamics were inferior to Ferraris. Also Newey was not able to design a championship winning car between 2014 and 2020. His cars sometimes had some serious design problems. Anyway - personally i think the Red Bull is a very good car and, together with the Ferrari, is the best car. The Red Bull has the more extreme solutions, but the Ferrari has the more exciting and more unique concept, also with great solutions. The Ferrari and the Red Bull are the most extreme cars of 2022 in my opinion. And i think they will be rewarded for their bold approach. But thats only an opinion. No one can say by now who has the best car.

But i think what one can say is that the 2022 cars are more beautyfull that all the F1 cars since 2006.

f1316
f1316

Is it fair to say that only Mercedes and Williams are now continuing the previous “smaller is better” sidepod philosophy? Perhaps Mclaren still are to an extend (but consciously going wider at the front) whereas everyone else is make a choice not to have the smallest, tightest sidepods they could have.

Fascinating.

jjn9128

Longley wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 23:32
If I remember correctly a more forward cockpit increases the length of the Venturi tunnels (-> higher downforce) but the management of the front tires turbulence is more difficult due to the shortened distance to the sidepods.

It doesn't change the location of the floor anymore - it used to be the floor was defined from the C-C chassis plane - now it's from the front axle line.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Longley
Longley

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 19:38
Longley wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 23:32

It doesn't change the location of the floor anymore - it used to be the floor was defined from the C-C chassis plane - now it's from the front axle line.
Thanks for the clarification!
So what would then be the motivation? Having more space for packaging of engine, gear box, etc for slimmer sidepods?

jjn9128

Longley wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 23:07
Thanks for the clarification!
So what would then be the motivation? Having more space for packaging of engine, gear box, etc for slimmer sidepods?
I'm not entirely sure. It won't make the nose slimmer or anything because that's got a minimum length/width. It might make the chassis narrower at the entrance to the tunnels so you can play about a bit more with shapes.

This is the effect of changing the A-A position from 85mm ahead of the front axle line (it can be up to 100mm ahead of the front axle line) to 50mm behind it. It's not a major change. You pretty much just get less coke bottle to play with.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica