2022 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: 2022 car comparison thread

Ferrari with overall narrower floor entry. Look to the 'snapdragon' fins/bargeboards.

𓄀

LM10
LM10

Red Bull (RB18) and Mercedes (W13) are both allegedly 15kg over the minimum weight, Ferrari (F1-75) is 10kg above it, McLaren (MCL36) and Haas (VF-22) 5kg.

Most teams are trying to reduce the weight by not using too much paintwork on their car.
A complete paintwork is around 6kg.

Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin both have black rear/front wings. Sponsor logos are glued onto the carbon fibre structure.

Red Bull had zero paintwork on the lower two wing elements after the Bahrain tests, Mercedes removed the black paint off the three flaps after the Barcelona tests. McLaren removed some of their orange paintwork too. Williams isn‘t using blue paintwork on the cockpit side.

#tami. #AMuS

Marble
Marble

Any pics showing the higher ride hight of the W13 compared to say the RB 18 ?

vorticism

𓄀

GTO99

I see that there is a 2nd Alpha fw nose behind the one in front, but WOW their fw elements are HUGE compared to RB.
:shock:

GTO99

Anyone know why Alpha have decided to put the FIA logo on their nose?

Spacepace

GTO99 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 04:34
Anyone know why Alpha have decided to put the FIA logo on their nose?
It's on Ferrari's too

TimW
TimW

From the car threads. Red Bull:

Mercedes:

I am surprised how big the differences are. The Mercedes looks rather vanilla, the Red Bull much less overall volume under the floor. Would be thankful if somebody can shed some light on what the philosophies could be behind both.

Vanja #66

TimW wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 09:01
https://i.imgur.com/NM0WLh3.jpg

Mercedes:
https://f1i.autojournal.fr/wp-content/u ... _w13_5.jpg

I am surprised how big the differences are. The Mercedes looks rather vanilla, the Red Bull much less overall volume under the floor. Would be thankful if somebody can shed some light on what the philosophies could be behind both.
Floors seem to be similar only to the extent of how the rules are defined. To me it looks like the lowest point of the tunnels is lower on Mercedes, up to 20mm or even more maybe, which should give them a lot more downforce. However, it obviously gives them bouncing problems and yet no advantage in mid- and high-speed corners.

Red Bull rounded all the edges in the floor with big radii, I'm very surprised Mercedes didn't do this. This can have a large influence on floor performance in roll and yaw, i.e. in corners.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

TimW wrote:

Mercedes:

The Red Bull has a turning vane at the rear of the floor - at least that's what it looks like the green feature is. I'm amazed that's allowed and, if it is, I'm amazed no one else is doing it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 11:42
TimW wrote:

Mercedes:

Floors seem to be similar only to the extent of how the rules are defined. To me it looks like the lowest point of the tunnels is lower on Mercedes, up to 20mm or even more maybe, which should give them a lot more downforce. However, it obviously gives them bouncing problems and yet no advantage in mid- and high-speed corners.

Red Bull rounded all the edges in the floor with big radii, I'm very surprised Mercedes didn't do this. This can have a large influence on floor performance in roll and yaw, i.e. in corners.
I wonder if the large lateral "shoulders" in the lower section of the floor on the Red Bull help too. The Merc has the classic streamlined smooth shape but the Red Bull has very deliberate change in that lines up with the rear of the front strakes. It reminds me of an area-ruled design detail from aircraft design.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vorticism

GTO99 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 04:33
I see that there is a 2nd Alpha fw nose behind the one in front, but WOW their fw elements are HUGE compared to RB.
:shock:
It's interesting isn't it? The Alfa wing looks shorter from the front, when mounted on the car, yet it's deeper in plan view.
𓄀

vorticism

Re: Mercedes W13

AA_2019 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 12:45
Looking at it with the naked eye they need the Red Bull Suspension secrets.

Merc are too busy trying to adapt their models to try to create purposing in the sims, but that will take too long I fear.
I don't think RB secret lies in their suspension. Seems too easy, I'd think all teams have a handle on understanding heave forces.
𓄀

AA_2019
AA_2019

vorticism wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 16:16
AA_2019 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 12:45
Looking at it with the naked eye they need the Red Bull Suspension secrets.

Merc are too busy trying to adapt their models to try to create purposing in the sims, but that will take too long I fear.
I don't think RB secret lies in their suspension. Seems too easy, I'd think all teams have a handle on understanding heave forces.
Red Bull have a suspension system that changes above 250 KPH to control purpoising. The FIA had to inspect it at the Barcelona preseason test
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

vorticism

AA_2019 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 16:34
Red Bull have a suspension system that changes above 250 KPH to control purpoising. The FIA had to inspect it at the Barcelona preseason test
Might have just been a quota article for a journalist. In the vid Juzh posted the RB looks glass smooth through a section where the Ferrari was bouncing. I suspect that it's an aero dominated phenomenon; that we'd see just a hint of it on the RB. Switching out heave dampers seems like much to easy a fix.
𓄀