2022 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
senja

Re: 2022 car comparison thread

But, they have the least amount of time in aero tunnel and CFD, and they probably developed last year's car longer than others... And they are not used to work with small budget.

The years of domination means nothing in completely new era.
I can see them behind some cars.

mclaren111

senja wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 04:15
But, they have the least amount of time in aero tunnel and CFD, and they probably developed last year's car longer than others... And they are not used to work with small budget.

The years of domination means nothing in completely new era.
I can see them behind some cars.

That would be wonderful...

wogx

Mercedes has the bulkiest RW main plane on the grid. Is that a good thing?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

f1rules

mrluke

Isn't it just a max downforce wing? I'm sure they could use a skinnier one if they wanted?

Motörhead

That’s an uncluttered Mclaren front suspension set-up!
Comparing it to the Merc and Ferrari, it’s night and day…..

LM10

Motörhead wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 19:31
I’m asking myself if McLaren have changed their suspension layout radically because of aero or mechanical reasons in the first place?

Motörhead

I think I’ve read somewhere, perhaps on this forum that James Key has said it’s mostly to do with aero.
Apparently, the larger wheels make the decision of pull-rod/Push-rod negligible. I’ve read that somewhere on here as well. If so, it’s win-win. (Hopefully)
You have to hand it to Mercedes, looking at the height of the top lip of their sidepod, and comparing it to the top of the chassis, they’ve done a great job on the packaging. The Mclaren is lower than most. Hopefully there’s room to slim the Mclaren top lip a tad.

AeroDynamic

A question:

out of all the cars so far, lets say a team get their concept wrong and need to shift it in a completely different direction..

which teams would have the most work to do to change their direction? I'm talking about packaging and body.

and which teams may have the more adaptable package that would be easier to shift?

JordanMugen

Motörhead wrote:
Ferrari may be using the steering arm as "flap" for the wishbone and vice versa. Recalling that the air is being upwashed by the front wing and doesn't hit the suspension at zero angle of incidence, even though the suspension arms have to be neutrally cambered.

The Alpine does seem like the 'oddest one out' as the only car without its radiator inlet pushed either as far forward as permitted or nearly as far forward as permitted.

sendit

LM10 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 19:37
Motörhead wrote:
I’m asking myself if McLaren have changed their suspension layout radically because of aero or mechanical reasons in the first place?
McLaren claim its for aero reasons but I have also heard that the pull rod lowers the Center of Gravity which sounds like its more mechanical reason than Aero.

SmallSoldier

sendit wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 07:50
LM10 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 19:37
Motörhead wrote:

McLaren claim its for aero reasons but I have also heard that the pull rod lowers the Center of Gravity which sounds like its more mechanical reason than Aero.
Actually, Key’s comments are that the changes to the suspension are unrelated to aero, they focused on the suspension before they could focused on aero (during the 2020 season)… The aero followed the suspension philosophy and not the other way around

BlueCheetah66

AT with a decent amount of rake compared to the others

djos

Wow, the side Pod entries on the RedBull are insane!

"In downforce we trust"

lio007

Some great comparison of RB18 and W13 by @AlbertFabrega