Brawn hated high rake cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Brawn hated high rake cars

vorticism wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 22:30
Well he did bring us the double diffuser which optimized the lower rake Brawn GP01, although it was getting challenged by the high rake pullrod severely-coke-bottled RB5. After 2009 the Honda/Brawn/Merc car wasn't aero competitive against it. So is this aversion a slight at Newey? RB were the high rake team.
Or he maybe just prefers the "belly on the ground" look that F1, and other series, had for years before F1 went down the high rake rabbit hole.

No extreme rake here, for example:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vorticism

True although the step plane prevents some of the on-the-ground look, and the '22 tunnel roof has more rake than the most raked flat floors of the post-09 cars did. Also the 'raked' cars had the upper body designed without rake (normal to airflow), the only clue to the rake was the angle of the floor. I guess he's particular about the floor edge relative to the road.

I wonder what he thinks of the space saver spare tire look.
𓄀

Stu

OT, but really wish that they had kept the 13” wheels and reduced the sidewall height to what it is now.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 21:11
OT, but really wish that they had kept the 13” wheels and reduced the sidewall height to what it is now.
Me too. I dont even like the look of the new ones. But it is not going to happen as too many people would have to admit mistakes, and it would probably need a redesign of the cars again
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

carisi2k

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 22:53
vorticism wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 22:30
Well he did bring us the double diffuser which optimized the lower rake Brawn GP01, although it was getting challenged by the high rake pullrod severely-coke-bottled RB5. After 2009 the Honda/Brawn/Merc car wasn't aero competitive against it. So is this aversion a slight at Newey? RB were the high rake team.
Or he maybe just prefers the "belly on the ground" look that F1, and other series, had for years before F1 went down the high rake rabbit hole.

No extreme rake here, for example:
https://www.snaplap.net/wp-content/uplo ... -senna.jpg
That car was full flat bottom and so it was imperative to keep those cars low. With the introduction of the wooden plank after Senna death it became impossible to run that low.

Mattchu

Flat bottomed girl...I`ll get me coat...

vorticism

A most incongruous singer and lyrics pairing; like putting low power density drive systems on a circuit racer.
𓄀