Show & Tell

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RZS10

Re: Show & Tell

keyword "major" - what is or isn't a major component i wonder

nevill3

I also think that the different wing configurations teams use will have to be declared eg. Monza or Monaco spec.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

LHamilton

Absolute ass. So --- bad. Don't like that AT ALL.

I'm not suprised though with how much F1 is trying to get the entertainment aspect in there. First the Sprint races, now this. Won't be long til F1 is a shadow of itself. My taste for it is starting to sour. The thing that it has got for it are the new regs. If those "fail" then yeah..

nzjrs

Wonder how it is enforced and how long we see a rival team protest another for not declaring a new part.

nevill3

No mention of penalties as far as can see but breaking the sporting regulations usually means fines I think.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Chuckjr

Like 2014 regs...this isn’t going to go how the FIA think it’s going to go.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Pat Pending

A 'brief description of major upgrades' is not the same as an explanation of how they work and why they are beneficial. I expect all that will be said is something along the lines of 'Lewis had a new front wing with a bigger upper element fitted today' etc. So very little different from before.

the EDGE

Pat Pending wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 10:47
A 'brief description of major upgrades' is not the same as an explanation of how they work and why they are beneficial. I expect all that will be said is something along the lines of 'Lewis had a new front wing with a bigger upper element fitted today' etc. So very little different from before.
Well different in the respects that team have previously said noting... but that's just 1 small part of this new initiative, the fact that the cars will be put on show for the media before P1 at every GP is very different indeed.

No more will we have team's staff crowding around the car for the sole purpose of preventing cameras from snapping details, Newey must be fuming!

Pat Pending

the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:02
Pat Pending wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 10:47
Well different in the respects that team have previously said noting... but that's just 1 small part of this new initiative, the fact that the cars will be put on show for the media before P1 at every GP is very different indeed.

No more will we have team's staff crowding around the car for the sole purpose of preventing cameras from snapping details, Newey must be fuming!
I concur

Just_a_fan

RZS10 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 18:39
That's the key question. Is a small change in the shape of a floor inlet strake "major"?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

the EDGE

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:38
RZS10 wrote:
That's the key question. Is a small change in the shape of a floor inlet strake "major"?
Regardless of the change, teams still have to show cars, even if there are no changes at all... so why does it matter?

Just_a_fan

the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:38
RZS10 wrote:
Regardless of the change, teams still have to show cars, even if there are no changes at all... so why does it matter?
They show the cars in a position determined by the race director. And then the rules say:
During this period a senior technical or sporting
representative of the Competitor must be available for a period of at least 10
minutes to describe to the media all major aerodynamic and bodywork component
updates
made to their car following the pre-Event Automobile Display.
(my highlight).

So what constitutes something that must be described? Is a small change to a strake a "major aerodynamic component update"?

Will the RD say "that's major", "that isn't major"?

Also, note that the RD decides what position the car is displayed in which presumably means he can decide to show e.g. the diffuser, or the sidepod area clearly.

How long before the RD is accused of favourably hiding one team's components? I bet it won't take long.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 20:09
I proposed exactly this, but mine was way better and monetizable...
Money isn't everything. 8)

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:10
Zynerji wrote:
My point was to blockchain the entire software stack, with each team and the FIA running Full nodes. That guarantees all design models, sim data, correlation data, etc is is captured and encrypted to the ledger (with no bs mods). Then, any component that a team wants to run on a weekend gets moved to a Media Access portal. The Media then pays a yearly licensing fee to access this data to generate revenue by writing articles and driving traffic and interest to F1.

This fixes lots and lots of F1 issues if you think deeply about how this would self-govern the Sport and lower costs in F1 by an enormous amount. Crowdsourcing computational capacity from fans running lite nodes on their PC's (maybe the teams pay fans in Tokens that can be claimed.for merch/cash) as well as having a standardized market for merchandise and a better host for F1TV.

To everyone else casually browsing the blockchain, it looks no different than a current web page. I think that pushback only comes.from those that have a preconceived bias against blockchain Tokens (Coins), as they completely ignore the fact that it is just a distributed computer, and Crypto Coins are just an early adopter of the technology concept.
Last edited by Zynerji on 21 Feb 2022, 18:58, edited 2 times in total.

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:10
Zynerji wrote:
My point was to blockchain the entire software chain, with each team and the FIA running Full nodes. That guarantees all design models, sim data, correlation data, etc is is captured and encrypted to the ledger. Then, any component that a team wants to run on a weekend gets moved to a Media Access portal. The Media then pays a yearly licensing fee to access this data to generate revenue by writing articles and driving traffic and interest to F1.

This fixes lots and lots of F1 issues if you think deeply how this would self-govern rhe Sport and lower costs in F1 by an enormous amount. Crowdsourcing computational capacity from fans running lite nodes on their PC's as well as having a market for merchandise.

To everyone else casually browsing the blockchain, it looks no different than a current web page. I think the only pushback only comes.from those that have a preconceived bias against blockchain Tokens, as they completely ignore the fact that it really is just a distributed computer.
This barely makes any sense. If you want to have the entire software chain 'block-chained' then go ahead and write on-chain verifiable equivalents of every software package used by F1 teams in the sequence of steps in creating a part for the weekend.

In lieu of that then all you have is a distributed file store because the value add is computed is off-chain and the assets then stored on chain. Yay wow its a distributed computer but compute is offchain. Well cool I guess, but you have now made a modern encrypted ftp server with history and a cumbersome access model.

I understand what you want to be able to do, but it fits neither into the existing BC models of digital provenance because the compute steps between the provenance is the value, its not NFT like, its not even really shared state if you cant verify it (see compute off chain). Maybe you could shoehorn it into a zero-knowledge kind of design in order to accomodate off-chain compute and have people peer verify, but its again a mismatch because everyone needs to share the sofware.

Sorry, but it's a bunch of buzzwords as you have described it. The competitive nature means the off-chain compute between all teams will diverge in the persuit of victory, and if you strip away the compute and just have the state then you just have a cumbersome dropbox.