Show & Tell

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: Show & Tell

nzjrs wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:56
Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:10

Money isn't everything. 8)
My point was to blockchain the entire software chain, with each team and the FIA running Full nodes. That guarantees all design models, sim data, correlation data, etc is is captured and encrypted to the ledger. Then, any component that a team wants to run on a weekend gets moved to a Media Access portal. The Media then pays a yearly licensing fee to access this data to generate revenue by writing articles and driving traffic and interest to F1.

This fixes lots and lots of F1 issues if you think deeply how this would self-govern rhe Sport and lower costs in F1 by an enormous amount. Crowdsourcing computational capacity from fans running lite nodes on their PC's as well as having a market for merchandise.

To everyone else casually browsing the blockchain, it looks no different than a current web page. I think the only pushback only comes.from those that have a preconceived bias against blockchain Tokens, as they completely ignore the fact that it really is just a distributed computer.
This barely makes any sense. If you want to have the entire software chain 'block-chained' then go ahead and write on-chain verifiable equivalents of every software package used by F1 teams in the sequence of steps in creating a part for the weekend.

In lieu of that then all you have is a distributed file store because the value add is computed is off-chain and the assets then stored on chain. Yay wow its a distributed computer but compute is offchain. Well cool I guess, but you have now made a modern encrypted ftp server with history and a cumbersome access model.

I understand what you want to be able to do, but it fits neither into the existing BC models of digital provenance because the compute steps between the provenance is the value, its not NFT like, its not even really shared state if you cant verify it (see compute off chain). Maybe you could shoehorn it into a zero-knowledge kind of design in order to accomodate off-chain compute and have people peer verify, but its again a mismatch because everyone needs to share the sofware.

Sorry, but it's a bunch of buzzwords as you have described it. The competitive nature means the off-chain compute between all teams will diverge in the persuit of victory, and if you strip away the compute and just have the state then you just have a cumbersome dropbox.
I'd look a bit deeper if you feel this way.

There is a company in the US that is currently doing this (on my recommendation) from design/R&D to production, shipping, inventory management and sales. Their retail locations run nodes on their POS terminals that are an open state machine as well as their main office in Chicago. With the difficulty setting reasonably low (they run authoratitative nodes), they can make blocks every 2ish seconds.

They used the Cosmos chain tech (Ethereum offshoot).

So I get what you are saying, but it really could be done. Bitcoin only has 50K-ish nodes. F1 could legitimately hit 50M with fan incentives.

Postmoe

Zynerji wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 20:09
I proposed exactly this, but mine was way better and monetizable...
My point was to blockchain the entire software stack, with each team and the FIA running Full nodes. That guarantees all design models, sim data, correlation data, etc is is captured and encrypted to the ledger (with no bs mods). Then, any component that a team wants to run on a weekend gets moved to a Media Access portal. The Media then pays a yearly licensing fee to access this data to generate revenue by writing articles and driving traffic and interest to F1.

This fixes lots and lots of F1 issues if you think deeply about how this would self-govern the Sport and lower costs in F1 by an enormous amount. Crowdsourcing computational capacity from fans running lite nodes on their PC's (maybe the teams pay fans in Tokens that can be claimed.for merch/cash) as well as having a standardized market for merchandise and a better host for F1TV.

To everyone else casually browsing the blockchain, it looks no different than a current web page. I think that pushback only comes.from those that have a preconceived bias against blockchain Tokens (Coins), as they completely ignore the fact that it is just a distributed computer, and Crypto Coins are just an early adopter of the technology concept.
As a software editor, I would be for sure interested.
Would your model allow publicly knowing who uploaded and downloaded?
I would make sure data is related to my solution and then I audit everybody.

Some years later the versioning is no good anymore.

Quantum

This wouldn't solve it, unless the blockchain is neural linked to the designers heads. CFD suites that run on a powerful home PC can give good design direction IF the values inputted are known to the designer(s). Blockchain is great and all, but for purposes of policing rules, easily circumvented for anything outside its remit.
"Interplay of triads"

Zynerji

Postmoe wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:16
Zynerji wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

My point was to blockchain the entire software stack, with each team and the FIA running Full nodes. That guarantees all design models, sim data, correlation data, etc is is captured and encrypted to the ledger (with no bs mods). Then, any component that a team wants to run on a weekend gets moved to a Media Access portal. The Media then pays a yearly licensing fee to access this data to generate revenue by writing articles and driving traffic and interest to F1.

This fixes lots and lots of F1 issues if you think deeply about how this would self-govern the Sport and lower costs in F1 by an enormous amount. Crowdsourcing computational capacity from fans running lite nodes on their PC's (maybe the teams pay fans in Tokens that can be claimed.for merch/cash) as well as having a standardized market for merchandise and a better host for F1TV.

To everyone else casually browsing the blockchain, it looks no different than a current web page. I think that pushback only comes.from those that have a preconceived bias against blockchain Tokens (Coins), as they completely ignore the fact that it is just a distributed computer, and Crypto Coins are just an early adopter of the technology concept.

I would say that each teams NFT(part data) would be named for themselves. You could tie WCC points to it and such if you wanted.

Zynerji

Quantum wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:19
This wouldn't solve it, unless the blockchain is neural linked to the designers heads. CFD suites that run on a powerful home PC can give good design direction IF the values inputted are known to the designer(s). Blockchain is great and all, but for purposes of policing rules, easily circumvented for anything outside its remit.
The "crunchers" just follow the rules of the Smart Contract. I will admit to just being the general consultant on this project instead of managing the team, so I'm sure they sorted stuff in some way, but I have no details outside of testing the proof-of-concept they trialed through 2021. I was told by a developer, however, that it operates very similar to a distributed MMORPG server.
Last edited by Zynerji on 21 Feb 2022, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Postmoe

Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:20
Postmoe wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I would say that each teams NFT(part data) would be named for themselves. You could tie WCC points to it and such if you wanted.
A lot of companies will not be keen on revealing the tools they use. This is very sensitive information which can lead to massive financial risk.

Zynerji

Postmoe wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:24
Zynerji wrote:
Postmoe wrote:

A lot of companies will not be keen on revealing the tools they use. This is very sensitive information which can lead to massive financial risk.
That's the point!

You can't import a model into my concept, so there is no expensive tool-chain advantage for any team. If it wasn't an original genesis from the chain software, it becomes illegal, as the NFT wouldn't exist. It would just be the rule that all parts must originate on-chain. If an ERC20 token of the ERC721(NFT) isnt sent to the Media Portal, it cannot run on track. Then its just randomly scrutinizing 3 parts on each car after the race for conformity.

In a lot of ways, this is already happening. Some just don't want the level playing field that they claim is best for F1.
Last edited by Zynerji on 21 Feb 2022, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Postmoe

Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:28
Postmoe wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

That's the point!

You can't import a model into my concept. If it wasn't an original genesis from the chain software, it becomes illegal, as the NFT wouldn't exist. It would just be the rule that all parts must originate on-chain. And a random 3 parts are scrutinized on each car after the race for conformity.
Sorry, I got lost.
If there is data in your blockchain, and it is publicly accessible, then you can at least infer what software did it. And that can be dangerous.

Maybe I got it wrong.

Zynerji

Postmoe wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:32
Zynerji wrote:
Postmoe wrote:

That's the point!

You can't import a model into my concept. If it wasn't an original genesis from the chain software, it becomes illegal, as the NFT wouldn't exist. It would just be the rule that all parts must originate on-chain. And a random 3 parts are scrutinized on each car after the race for conformity.
Sorry, I got lost.
If there is data in your blockchain, and it is publicly accessible, then you can at least infer what software did it. And that can be dangerous.

Maybe I got it wrong.
The blockchain would have it's own design and sim tools built into it as a front end. There would be zero 3rd party software involved after this change.

It would be a fully custom suite that would be solely owned and operated by the FIA, and then they can expand to all categories of racing under their umbrella.

https://medium.com/coinmonks/the-blockc ... lives%20on.

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:35
Postmoe wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

That's the point!

Sorry, I got lost.

Maybe I got it wrong.
The blockchain would have it's own design and sim tools built into it as a front end. There would be zero 3rd party software involved after this change.

It would be a fully custom suite that would be solely owned and operated by the FIA, and then they can expand to all categories of racing under their umbrella.

Yip, this is my point. You acknowlege the cart before the horse problem. You have to build the everything on chain-ish.

You've got to do the compute on chain or you have just made a bad distributed server with only provenance on the data not how it got there. Yay I guess.

Inventory and POS are the hello world for this because its barely fungible. COS had their run as the enterprise L2 with short block times in 2020 ish but thats passe these days.

Regardless, you have an impedance mismatch because an F1 car is funged by 1000s of engineers daily with off-chain compute. You think it's smart pushing that to the nodes, but thats what the modern approach of pushing it to ZKPs does. It doesn't match the verified compute model cause no one will agree on the compute and it doest fit the NFT model cause you've got the right-click jpeg problem.

Basically it just doesn't fit.

What's was your advisor and vesting deal BTW? Curious to see how they valued your idea. I could see what you describe getting funded a while ago, POS and supply chain was cool for a while, but I don't think it would have done so this run. Hard to say, market was hot.
Last edited by nzjrs on 21 Feb 2022, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 20:12
Zynerji wrote:
Postmoe wrote:

Sorry, I got lost.

Maybe I got it wrong.

Yip, this is my point. You've got to do the compute on chain or you have just made a bad distributed server with only provenance on the data not how it got there. Yay I guess.

Inventory and POS are the hello world for this because its barely fungible. COS has their run as the enterprise L2 with short block times in 2020 ish.

Regardless, you have an impedance mismatch because an F1 car is funged by 1000s of engineers daily with off-chain compute. You think it's smart pushing that to the nodes, but thats what the modern approach of pushing it to ZKPs does. It doesn't match the verified compute model cause no one will agree on the compute and it doest fit the NFT model cause you've got the right-click jpeg problem.

What's was your advisor token and vesting deal BTW? Curious to see how they valued an idea. I guess they would have given more to the VCs but depends in what era you raised.
The company that I advised on this was part of a general restructure contract, this was not the primary item. Actually, looking back, it turned out to be the easiest part because everyone was happy to ditch the old, broken, hop-scotch-across-multiple-softwares approach that gutted their productivity. Recommending BC as a future-proof software platform was not paid for separately. Also, it is a private chain, so there is no monetizable Tokens involved.

I'd love a deeper discussion as to why F1 couldn't do similar, as I am not an expert in BC by any means. I only have the data from meeting with the in-house devs that were hired for the project. I did ask a few questions, as F1 seemed a similar candidate, and it all seemed plausible. I mean, they have POS systems checking out customers that are also crunching the chemical/physics simulations for the R&D department, so fans running CFD nodes seemed reasonable.

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 20:19
nzjrs wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Yip, this is my point. You've got to do the compute on chain or you have just made a bad distributed server with only provenance on the data not how it got there. Yay I guess.

Inventory and POS are the hello world for this because its barely fungible. COS has their run as the enterprise L2 with short block times in 2020 ish.

What's was your advisor token and vesting deal BTW? Curious to see how they valued an idea. I guess they would have given more to the VCs but depends in what era you raised.
The company that I advised on this was part of a general restructure contract, this was not the primary item. Actually, looking back, it turned out to be the easiest part because everyone was happy to ditch the old, broken, hop-scotch across multiple softwares approach that gutted their productivity. Recommending BC as a future-proof software platform was not paid for separately.

I'd love a deeper discussion as to why F1 couldn't do similar, as I am not an expert in BC by any means. I only have the data from meeting with the in-house devs that were hired for the project. I did ask a few questions, as F1 seemed a similar candidate, and it all seemed plausible. I mean, they have POS systems checking out customers that are also crunching the chemical/physics simulations for the R&D department, so fans running CFD nodes seemed reasonable.
What you pitched sounds like a sensible design.

However the basic impedance mismatch is that a company (or certain verticals) should be internally collaborative and F1 is internally competitive so the standardization incentives are not aligned. There is no way to have the F1 teams all use the same software for everything, and any deviation from this makes it an off chain problem subject to all my complaints. You can't have a system that requires some central party to out-engineer the competitive industry of F1 in order to make a tool the competitive industry of F1 must then use.

I'm sure you could architect something out that just did BC stuff for content, but I think that's not a better improvement than the show and tell stuff. In fact, a cynic would say they could just literally monetise some show and tell reveal direct to NFT and I'm sure they have lined up some partner to make that lazy play later this year.

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 20:29
Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 20:19
nzjrs wrote:

The company that I advised on this was part of a general restructure contract, this was not the primary item. Actually, looking back, it turned out to be the easiest part because everyone was happy to ditch the old, broken, hop-scotch across multiple softwares approach that gutted their productivity. Recommending BC as a future-proof software platform was not paid for separately.

What you pitched sounds like a sensible design.

However the basic impedance mismatch is that a company (or certain verticals) should be internally collaborative and F1 is internally competitive so the standardization incentives are not aligned. There is no way to have the F1 teams all use the same software for everything, and any deviation from this makes it an off chain problem subject to all my complaints. You can't have a system that requires some central party to out-engineer the competitive industry of F1 in order to make a tool the competitive industry of F1 must then use.

I'm sure you could architect something out that just did BC stuff for content, but I think that's not a better improvement than the show and tell stuff. In fact, a cynic would say they could just literally monetise some show and tell reveal direct to NFT and I'm sure they have lined up some partner to make that lazy play later this year.
I think FIA has enough money to work with industry heavyweights (Dassault, NX, OpenFOAM) for bespoke variants of their software for this exercise.

But you are correct. Those that compete on a level with an intrinsic cheating mentality will always want to keep secrets.

Now we get to the TRUE power of a self- balancing system in such an environment. An even playing field where a true meritocracy can stand and be admired by millions of people with zero drama.

Sounds like my kind of sport, tbh...😏

And you CAN make them all use the same software. It can be added to the Concorde, but better just to just have the FOM mandate it like the tyre supplier.

If anyone quits over it, too bad. The racing will be fine without them!

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 20:43
Now we get to the TRUE power of a self- balancing system in such an environment. An even playing field where a true meritocracy can stand and be admired by millions of people with zero drama.
As a tool developer and a fan of meritocracy I think innovation in simulation and software should be as rewarded as innovations in their design output is.

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 20:50
Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 20:43
As a tool developer and a fan of meritocracy I think innovation in simulation and software should be as rewarded as innovations in their design output is.
Sure. Let's make a new sport for that, and not try to muddy a Pinnacle one just for half-credit.