CFD - 2022 Ferrari F1-75 (sidepod analysis)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
FDD
FDD

Re: CFD - 2022 Ferrari F1-75 (sidepod analysis)

Any opinion that F1-75 is struggling from the new TD?

Andi76
Andi76

Re: CFD - 2022 Ferrari F1-75 (sidepod analysis)

FDD wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:37 pm
Any opinion that F1-75 is struggling from the new TD?
I do not think so. Spa is a special track that requires a special set-up. Also teams run their cars as high as possible anyway, because of the compression at Eau Rouge, the bumps at 15 and the kerbs at 14. Because of that there was no real impact of this TD. One could now think that the RB probably is the only car that works at high ride heights, but Ferrari has already proven that their car also works well at high ride height, too. But it was visible that Red Bull was able to run their cars lower than the competition. They also still use some rake and their aero is based around that, what probably has resulted in aerodynamics that in general work better at higher ride heights(compared to the competition). That probably has given them an advantage in downforce and tyre degradation.

I think there is something about their suspension that they can run their car lower. I have the feeling that they also have found something in the summer break in relation to the tyres and how make maximum use of them. With the new cars suspension set-up and making maximum use of the tyres can make a huge difference. Two main determinants are tyre temperature and contact frequency. These work in opposite directions. As temperature rises, the compound becomes softer. As contact frequencies rise, the compound becomes harder. Getting to the point at which the tyres achieves its ideal state is therefore a delicate balancing act. The higher the contact frequency, the more temperature you need to compensate in order to keep the tyre at its intended compound softness. You must control these variables. Contact frequency is about how the loads react upon the rubber. Because rubber is a viscoelastic material, the way it reacts is not consistent. Up to a point the rubber will accept incoming energy and react against it, trying to spring back in the opposite direction to the load and thereby creating grip. Beyond that point the rubber cannot regain shape quickly enough to absorb the next input of load. This has the effect of stiffening and hardening the compound, breaking the process down and causing the tyre to slide. Tyre temperature is largely to do with the amount of energy the tyre is absorbing - though track temperature plays a significant part. As the tyre accepts the loads, so the energy is absorbed and this creates heat. Keeping the tyre exactly at the point where it achieves its vitreous transition and thereby achieves its ideal, intended compound softness all the time is a balancing act and can obviously give a massive advantage. The season has shown that Ferrari has problems in that area, as does Mercedes. Red Bull understands this best and in Spa they probably completely nailed it. With the new tyres this is very hard as the ideal window where the contact frequency is in harmony with temperature is very narrow. I think Red Bull further improved their understanding. This and being able to run their car lower than the competition was responsible for them being exceptionally fast. I can be wrong, but i think Red Bulls huge superiority at Spa was track related and multiplied by several factors. It will be closer in Zandvort, but i think Red Bull has found something in relation to tyres and suspension that gives them an advantage and they now have the fastest car. Reshaping their engine-cover , and adapting something of the "Ferrari-School of thinking" to their concept(maximise airflow to the beamwing and rear-wing), may have helped downforce and traction, too.

There are also rumours about that RB/Honda made a huge step with their Powertrain, while Ferrari made a step back with their last evolution or reduced the power for reliability reasons. In terms of Ferrari i do not think there is any truth in these rumours, as the gap to the other teams did not really change.