Russian GP/Mazepin In Jeopardy now???

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DiogoBrand

Re: Russian GP/Mazepin In Jeopardy now???

adrianjordan wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 03:29
Zynerji wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 02:59
This will be over next week, and forgotten soon after.

I mean, Saudi chops up inconvenient journalists. From Putins perspective, he's protecting historically Russian bloodlines from genocide in East Ukraine. I don't agree with what he did, but I can follow his calculations. 🙄
I think you underestimate the situation. Whilst the military action might be over, the sanctions etc will last a long time. They need to in order to reduce the military budget and deter Putin from attacking any NATO members.
The sanctions are there for virtue signalling, not to have any practical effect. Especially since any serious sanction would screw up the sanctioning country as much as, if not more than Russia itself.

Zynerji

Our Secretary of State just announced they are still buying Russian oil, so they aren't going to get involved.

If I read it properly, Putin's algrebra solves when the CIA installed government installed in 2014 is removed, the Ukranian military that has been at war with East Ukraine for 8 years no longer has weapons to commit genocide, and the Formerly Recognized, stable regime is able to run elections.

20 years from now may turn out to be a much safer place without such a pressure point on the nuclear button.
Last edited by Zynerji on 25 Feb 2022, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

cheeRS

Zynerji wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 04:52
Our Secretary of State just announced they are still buying Russian oil.

If I read it properly, Putin's algrebra solves when the CIA installed government installed in 2014 is removed, the Ukranian military that has been at war with East Ukraine for 8 years no longer has weapons to commit genocide, and the Formerly Recognized, stable regime is able to run elections.

20 years from now may turn out to be a much safer place without such a pressure point on the nuclear button.
I'm not sure if English is your second language (please don't take offense), but can you rephrase what you're trying to say?
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

Zynerji

cheeRS wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 04:58
Zynerji wrote:

I'm not sure if English is your second language (please don't take offense), but can you rephrase what you're trying to say?
I'm paraphrasing the various news that I have read. There are clear things that are going on, and purposefully unclear things as well.

I'm saying Putins plan ends when those objectives are met, and in his mind he is actually the good guy, not a tyrant provoking world-ending nuclear war on a lark. He's been pretty consistent on that if you stay up with it.

Let's not forget that from his perspective, he has CIA bio labs on his border, and nuclear weapons within short range. Not to mention the families that live along the border that were divided 60 years ago after the breakup, and his Citizens have been petitioning Putin since 2014 to stop their slaughter. These items are not speculation, they are reported facts.The regime in Kiev was literally caught burning the evidence in office parking lots today.

I don't agree with how Putin's done this as might never makes right, but I can see how he came to the conclusion to invade because he feels that he will be on the right side of history..

cheeRS

Zynerji wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 05:11
cheeRS wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I'm paraphrasing the various news that I have read. There are clear things that are going on, and purposefully unclear things as well.

I'm saying Putins plan ends when those objectives are met, and in his mind he is actually the good guy, not a tyrant provoking world-ending nuclear war on a lark. He's been pretty consistent on that if you stay up with it.

Let's not forget that from his perspective, he has CIA bio labs on his border, and nuclear weapons within short range. Not to mention the families that live along the border that were divided 60 years ago after the breakup, and his Citizens have been petitioning Putin since 2014 to stop their slaughter. These items are not speculation, they are reported facts.The regime in Kiev was literally caught burning the evidence in office parking lots today.

I don't agree with how Putin's done this as might never makes right, but I can see how he came to the conclusion to invade because he feels that he will be on the right side of history..
Understood, thank you for the perspective. As far as the point about burning evidence, does that refer to what Putin stated about 'the slaughter of civilians by the regime' or something to that effect? You seem to be pretty level headed - what's your take on what exactly Ukraine's government has been doing to its people and/or nation?
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

Zynerji

cheeRS wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 05:29
Zynerji wrote:
cheeRS wrote:

Understood, thank you for the perspective. As far as the point about burning evidence, does that refer to what Putin stated about 'the slaughter of civilians by the regime' or something to that effect? You seem to be pretty level headed - what's your take on what exactly Ukraine's government has been doing to its people and/or nation?
I tell ya what. Open Chrome and goto mail.ru or rai.ru. Let it translate, and pick any story about the invasion. Go to the comments section and spend some time reading the anguish stories of what's been going on by the actual people. I don't trust any actual news reporting at this point. I read what the people that are living it have to say.

Scorpaguy

...or there is occam's razor, maybe Putin is simply a vicious tyrant, reminiscent of KGB glory of yore, and cares not who he kills in his thirst for conquest.

https://rumble.com/vvsrjy-graphic-video ... CenrP0Sheo

Zynerji

Scorpaguy wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 05:33
...or there is occam's razor, maybe Putin is simply a vicious tyrant, reminiscent of KGB glory of yore, and cares not who he kills in his thirst for conquest.

Sure. It's always easier to dehumanize someone doing something that you disagree with. Let's not forget, Russian President Boris Yeltsin gassed 50,000 Chechnyans at Samashki, and US President Clinton went to his victory celebration simply because he was the first democratically elected leader of Russia.

Names like Hero and Tyrant are assigned by those with no real privilege to do so.

Scorpaguy

Zynerji wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 06:15
Scorpaguy wrote:

Sure. It's always easier to dehumanize someone doing something that you disagree with. Let's not forget, Russian President Boris Yeltsin gassed 50,000 Chechnyans at Samashki, and US President Clinton went to his victory celebration simply because he was the first democratically elected leader of Russia.

Names like Hero and Tyrant are assigned by those with no real privilege to do so.
Please note I purport to possess no special insight as to any world leader's motives, justified or not. I do aver that blowing up little girls on bicycles qualifies as a dehumanizing activity.

PlatinumZealot

Scorpaguy wrote:

Hit the nail on the head.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dialtone

Zynerji wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 05:32
I tell ya what. Open Chrome and goto mail.ru or rai.ru. Let it translate, and pick any story about the invasion. Go to the comments section and spend some time reading the anguish stories of what's been going on by the actual people. I don't trust any actual news reporting at this point. I read what the people that are living it have to say.
Not sure taking information from the comment sections of russian sites isolates you from government propaganda. It's like trusting all the reviews of products you see on Amazon. Are you familiar with fake reviews?

SmallSoldier

Zynerji wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 05:32
cheeRS wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 05:29
Zynerji wrote:

I wouldn’t trust the comment sections on… anything… It doesn’t take much to create a narrative using anonymity and a few “bots” writing whatever story you want out there in the world in whichever medium you want that narrative posted.

JordanMugen

Scorpaguy wrote:

I think in simple terms, Ukraine is an important strategic asset for Russia, and eastern Ukraine is close to Russia culturally (while western Ukraine is not, and increasingly closer to Europe culturally). [Of course, Putin's reputation as a hard man and nationalist, which makes him popular in socially/politically conservative Russia AFAIK, plays a part in the decision making and strategy to reinforce this image, but it is perhaps not the whole story.]

Meanwhile is Ukraine an important strategic asset for the EU or NATO? Not really, as it is not a member of NATO and NATO are not coming to Ukraine's defence. :shock: [The lack of defence is perhaps for various reasons, first that it is not an important strategic asset for NATO, and secondly that it could/would start a world war which would not be worth it given Ukraine is not a strategic asset for NATO.]

So in that way it was perhaps remiss for the EU and NATO to encourage Ukraine to become a member state, serving to antagonise Russia, and then renege on the arrangement. Consider if Canada, Mexico or Cuba were to have a close security relationship with China and host Chinese military bases etc, would the US be pleased? Or if Ireland were to have a close security relationship with Russia, would the UK, France and Netherlands be pleased?

As for not caring about military or civilian deaths, that is true of course, but applies to any politician ordering a war including Western politicians. Civilian deaths are of course abhorrent.

Anyway, I am wildly out of my depth on Geopolitical matters, I think we should leave that to people with politics and history degrees, unless some of you folks paired history or politics studies with your engineering, maths and science degrees.