Should Hamilton get a penalty for missing the ceremony?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should Hamilton get a penalty for missing the ceremony?

Yes
36%
No
62%
Undecided
No votes
Awaiting the FIA AD report
2%

Total votes: 66

chrisc90

Re: Should Hamilton get a penalty for missing the ceremony?

shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:16
chrisc90 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:13
shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 19:56

But where does it say that there is sanctions for not attending?
It just says they must attend. But where does it state this leads to sanctions??

I can't find any thing anywhere

Perhaps it's time to just close the chapter of the farce from 2021 AD. Wasn't robbing him of the championship is enough for all his haters? Didn't everyone got what they want? :roll:
It doesn't list it for other things either such as jumped starts, incorrect grid positioning, safety car rulings/overtaking etc etc. So I think because it doesnt say a penalty will be imposed, isnt something to take for granted that they cant issue a reprimand for it.
I didn't know Lewis was driving his f1 car to the gala :roll: :lol:
All those things u mentioned have rules were the stewards can sanction them. Unlike the gala stuff! Unless u r saying they have drive their f1 car to gala and have to do a pitstop there? =P~
What I am saying, is there are instances in the sporting code that doesn't have a penalty attached to them....such as the examples I have given.

Its a mandatory requirement that a driver attends the prize ceremony.

shamyakovic

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:35
shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:16
chrisc90 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:13

It doesn't list it for other things either such as jumped starts, incorrect grid positioning, safety car rulings/overtaking etc etc. So I think because it doesnt say a penalty will be imposed, isnt something to take for granted that they cant issue a reprimand for it.
I didn't know Lewis was driving his f1 car to the gala :roll: :lol:
All those things u mentioned have rules were the stewards can sanction them. Unlike the gala stuff! Unless u r saying they have drive their f1 car to gala and have to do a pitstop there? =P~
What I am saying, is there are instances in the sporting code that doesn't have a penalty attached to them....such as the examples I have given.

Its a mandatory requirement that a driver attends the prize ceremony.
Those comes under racing and doesnot cover a fancy party! That's what I am saying

codetower

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 18:13
codetower wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 17:10
Rules are in place and should be enforced, no matter who breaks the rule. If there is no penalty, then what's to stop any other driver from just skipping the next gala? If the FIA doesn't mind, then change the rule.
So long as all rules are enforced fully going on from here. They haven't been for some time, of course.

For a sport that has been somewhat "generous" in what it considers to be something that needs to be enforced, suddenly doing so now would look a little crass and even a little like they are making an example of him.
Not only do they need to be consistent, but I think they also need to be fair. As I mentioned, I don't think it should be any type of "race" penalty such as grid drop, points, etc. If the rules do state that the drivers MUST be present, and penalties can be imposed, then I think just letting it slide will make this new leadership no different than the last. It's an opportunity to turn the page and show that things are going to be different.

shamyakovic

codetower wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:38
Just_a_fan wrote:
codetower wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 17:10
Rules are in place and should be enforced, no matter who breaks the rule. If there is no penalty, then what's to stop any other driver from just skipping the next gala? If the FIA doesn't mind, then change the rule.
So long as all rules are enforced fully going on from here. They haven't been for some time, of course.

For a sport that has been somewhat "generous" in what it considers to be something that needs to be enforced, suddenly doing so now would look a little crass and even a little like they are making an example of him.
Not only do they need to be consistent, but I think they also need to be fair. As I mentioned, I don't think it should be any type of "race" penalty such as grid drop, points, etc. If the rules do state that the drivers MUST be present, and penalties can be imposed, then I think just letting it slide will make this new leadership no different than the last. It's an opportunity to turn the page and show that things are going to be different.
No, there is nothing in the rule where it states not attending a party will lead to penalties. I am happy to correct my self if u can show the rules

Big Tea

I thought all penalties affecting racing had to be set by the stewards of that race? If that is correct, then no one can give a penalty affecting results for something that did not happen on track or during the race. In the unlikely event of any action, would it not have to be financial, or at worse points on licence?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:40
codetower wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

No, there is nothing in the rule where it states not attending a party will lead to penalties. I am happy to correct my self if u can show the rules
I had a quick google, and one instance I could find was Vettel missing the National Anthem in 2017 in Japan. Perez and Riccardo for missing the one in China aswell. They all got reprimands, so if things are consistent (big ask?) then hamilton should get a reprimand for missing out on the gala.

codetower

shamyakovic wrote:
codetower wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I haven't read the rules, I was just answering a question in the forum. If these aren't the rules, then I stand corrected; It's a not-issue, and he ABSOLUTELY shouldn't get a penalty.

Someone posted what I assumed to be an accurate section of the rulebook that stated they needed to be there, and penalties may be imposed. I just don't want this new leadership to go down the same paths as the last and ignore or make up rules as they feel at any time.

shamyakovic

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:55
shamyakovic wrote:
codetower wrote:

I had a quick google, and one instance I could find was Vettel missing the National Anthem in 2017 in Japan. Perez and Riccardo for missing the one in China aswell. They all got reprimands, so if things are consistent (big ask?) then hamilton should get a reprimand for missing out on the gala.
Those are the rules for a race weekend..where they can be punished for missing all their media obligations.

I am surprised nobody issued any penalties for Lewis missing his post race media duties..that will be worth a reprimand

shamyakovic

codetower wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:00
shamyakovic wrote:
codetower wrote:

I haven't read the rules, I was just answering a question in the forum. If these aren't the rules, then I stand corrected; It's a not-issue, and he ABSOLUTELY shouldn't get a penalty.

Someone posted what I assumed to be an accurate section of the rulebook that stated they needed to be there, and penalties may be imposed. I just don't want this new leadership to go down the same paths as the last and ignore or make up rules as they feel at any time.
That opening post is misleading

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:06
chrisc90 wrote:
shamyakovic wrote:

Those are the rules for a race weekend..where they can be punished for missing all their media obligations.

I am surprised nobody issued any penalties for Lewis missing his post race media duties..that will be worth a reprimand
Well, there is that aswell. So effectively 2 missed mandatory appearances. I personally feel that there should be a reprimand, otherwise it opens the floodgates for other drivers to not show up because they cant be bothered, dont fancy answering questions after a bad race, or what not. I think the circumstances around the failure to show are irrelevant.

shamyakovic

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:10
shamyakovic wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Well, there is that aswell. So effectively 2 missed mandatory appearances. I personally feel that there should be a reprimand, otherwise it opens the floodgates for other drivers to not show up because they cant be bothered, dont fancy answering questions after a bad race, or what not. I think the circumstances around the failure to show are irrelevant.
I agree with post race media presence at AD 2021.
But the fancy FIA dress up party is outside the race weekend and there is no rule to punish him for that.

Frankly the FIA has closed the chapter on the gala. It's just some people are not satisfied with robbing Lewis of his championship and want more blood... I know the last 8 years have been savage for the haters.. maybe taking a yoga class will help. :mrgreen:

SmallSoldier

Stu wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:25
shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:19
Stu wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:18

You’re not adding anything much to this debate: please go back and re-read the OP, then respond appropriately.
Ok, I have read it
Could anyone tell me where is the rules it states that not attending the gala will lead to penalty?
There is implication in the phrase “must”, that is not there with “should”. It does not mention whether any sanction will be imposed; but the use of “must” is quite strong and leads to “I wonder what would happen if I don’t?”,when viewed in the negative.
Agreed… But, it could simply a fine, not related to what was posted in terms of “Sanctions”… Very different.

If the question is should Lewis get a fine, slap on the wrist or an e-mail stating he did wrong… I agree, he shouldn’t have missed the Gala if he was supposed to attend… If the question is if he should get any kind of penalty that will influence him on track (reprimands, points on his license, 10 second penalty, grid positions, etc)… That’s absurd.

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:15
chrisc90 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:10
shamyakovic wrote:

I agree with post race media presence at AD 2021.
But the fancy FIA dress up party is outside the race weekend and there is no rule to punish him for that.

Frankly the FIA has closed the chapter on the gala. It's just some people are not satisfied with robbing Lewis of his championship and want more blood... I know the last 8 years have been savage for the haters.. maybe taking a yoga class will help. :mrgreen:
Only thing I can say is that the FIA included a 'must attend' phrase in that line of the code for a very valid reason. Whilst it doesnt directly state drivers/constructers who fail to attend should be penalised, im sure there will be sanctions for breaking the code, otherwise it wouldnt be worth having or adhering to if breaking the 'code' went unpunished.

I think the last paragraph was a bit uncalled for in terms of the discussion, Its not about the previous 8 years, or having hate for one driver, its the principle of following the rules.

chrisc90

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:17
Stu wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:25
shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:19

Ok, I have read it
Could anyone tell me where is the rules it states that not attending the gala will lead to penalty?
There is implication in the phrase “must”, that is not there with “should”. It does not mention whether any sanction will be imposed; but the use of “must” is quite strong and leads to “I wonder what would happen if I don’t?”,when viewed in the negative.
Agreed… But, it could simply a fine, not related to what was posted in terms of “Sanctions”… Very different.

If the question is should Lewis get a fine, slap on the wrist or an e-mail stating he did wrong… I agree, he shouldn’t have missed the Gala if he was supposed to attend… If the question is if he should get any kind of penalty that will influence him on track (reprimands, points on his license, 10 second penalty, grid positions, etc)… That’s absurd.
The reason I included the sanctions section on there, is that I believe(d) that the sanctions section of the sporting code would be relevant to that document. Its a bit like a breach of the technical regs, and having a sanction from the sporting code or vice versa. It would seem relevant that a breach of the code, would be punished in the sanctions listed within that document.

McL-H

He signed the conditions to participate in the sport. One condition is you have to attend the price ceremony if you come 1st, 2nd or 3rd. He did not show up, so he did not hold on to his side of the agreement. If the FIA does not penalise him, expect no one to show up in the future.