Should Hamilton get a penalty for missing the ceremony?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should Hamilton get a penalty for missing the ceremony?

Yes
36%
No
62%
Undecided
No votes
Awaiting the FIA AD report
2%

Total votes: 66

NathanOlder

Re: Should Hamilton get a penalty for missing the ceremony?

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:55
shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:40
codetower wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:38

Not only do they need to be consistent, but I think they also need to be fair. As I mentioned, I don't think it should be any type of "race" penalty such as grid drop, points, etc. If the rules do state that the drivers MUST be present, and penalties can be imposed, then I think just letting it slide will make this new leadership no different than the last. It's an opportunity to turn the page and show that things are going to be different.
No, there is nothing in the rule where it states not attending a party will lead to penalties. I am happy to correct my self if u can show the rules
I had a quick google, and one instance I could find was Vettel missing the National Anthem in 2017 in Japan. Perez and Riccardo for missing the one in China aswell. They all got reprimands, so if things are consistent (big ask?) then hamilton should get a reprimand for missing out on the gala.
But these probably fall under the rules at an official sporting event aka a race. A gala a week after the season is officially closed is something different.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

McL-H wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:21
He signed the conditions to participate in the sport. One condition is you have to attend the price ceremony if you come 1st, 2nd or 3rd. He did not show up, so he did not hold on to his side of the agreement. If the FIA does not penalise him, expect no one to show up in the future.
He also signed up to compete under a set rule book. That wasn't upheld first, so he could argue he had no obligation to uphold his side of the deal.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

This thread just needs to be locked. It helps nobody, it's it the past and we can't learn anything from it.
Felipe Baby!

Watto

SiLo wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 14:18
This thread just needs to be locked. It helps nobody, it's it the past and we can't learn anything from it.
Yeah not really ever going to achieve anything; I think he should have gone but don't think its much of a big deal anyway. Move on. Its only going to enflame the situation

the EDGE

SiLo wrote:
I disagree… it’s making it very easy for me to identify people to add to my ignore list so I don’t have to read the drivel they write elsewhere… like shooting fish in a barrel 🤣🤣🤣

diffuser

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 01:15
McL-H wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:21
He signed the conditions to participate in the sport. One condition is you have to attend the price ceremony if you come 1st, 2nd or 3rd. He did not show up, so he did not hold on to his side of the agreement. If the FIA does not penalise him, expect no one to show up in the future.
He also signed up to compete under a set rule book. That wasn't upheld first, so he could argue he had no obligation to uphold his side of the deal.
Let's not go back to the Masi years, "Let's have the driver come and be psychoanalysed, did he really try and not cross that line? aaaawww, lets not give him a penality cause he tried or whatever reasoning". If there is a rule then he should get penalised. Since it didn't have anything to do with racing, it should be a fine. A 3 place grid penalty at the start of the bahrain GP would be dumb but if that's the rule, that's the rule. If Merc disagree they can challenge to change the rule FOR NEXT TIME. Cause for this time, that's what they signed up for. I hate all the grey area in the rules.

I can't beleive that F1 let that stuff Max and Horner were saying in the garage about Masi and the Stewards always ruling against them be allowed on the Netflix DTS. You know I get they were being filmed in thier garage but you could tell they new they were being filmed. In the NHL that would have cost each of them about 1% of thier Salary. You see when Horner was arguing his case to Masi during the race he was animated and that's fair. Once Masi ruled, there was respect. Horner might not have been happy with the call but he accepted it. There should be rules against bad mouthing the Stewarding.

izzy

SiLo wrote:
I think it is quite interesting, and amusing too. It's the context that FIA are going to launch their Report into on Friday, so it's still relevant, and the fact the thread is still going and has all these posts shows to me how much media power Lewis has, and why imo FIA won't give him any punishment. If they did, I reckon there'd be quite a negative reaction in F1 generally, and it'd just set up a stage for Lewis and Toto to explain why, and motivate them to use it.

So it's a bit the opposite of what the OP had in mind I think :D