2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
wogx

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

F1 needs changes to stop DRS “cat-and-mouse games” – Horner

Formula 1 should change DRS zones where necessary to prevent drivers slowing excessively as they approach detection points, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has said.

While disputing the lead during last weekend’s race in Jeddah, Charles Leclerc and Max Verstappen repeatedly slowed ahead of the DRS detection point before the final corner, each wanting to be last across the line to gain a benefit from it.
https://www.racefans.net/2022/03/29/f1- ... es-horner/
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

PlatinumZealot

Horner is such an.... He won those cat and mouse games and then he rubs salt in Ferraris wounds after. Same way he handled the Masi farce.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

wogx wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 13:51

Formula 1 should change DRS zones where necessary to prevent drivers slowing excessively as they approach detection points, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has said.

While disputing the lead during last weekend’s race in Jeddah, Charles Leclerc and Max Verstappen repeatedly slowed ahead of the DRS detection point before the final corner, each wanting to be last across the line to gain a benefit from it.
Easy. Tell the driver not to do it. Fixed
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

wogx wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 13:51

Whatever happened to "let them race" Christian? Suddenly it's a bad idea when it's your drivers that it potentially works against. Horner flip flops with the wind.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

piast9

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 15:18
Whatever happened to "let them race" Christian? Suddenly it's a bad idea when it's your drivers that it potentially works against. Horner flip flops with the wind.
I don't care what Horner said. In my opinion if it is routinely possible to use DRS to overtake back someone who've just overtook you on the previous DRS zone then there is something wrong with the DRS zones on that particular circuit or with DRS at all.

Just_a_fan

piast9 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 17:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
I don't care what Horner said. In my opinion if it is routinely possible to use DRS to overtake back someone who've just overtook you on the previous DRS zone then there is something wrong with the DRS zones on that particular circuit or with DRS at all.
If the cars are matched around a circuit such that they can stay close enough to overtake and retake then it is working as desired by "the fans" and the FIA/FOM. There's lot of overtaking and that is what everyone wants, or so they tell us.

As for the to-and-fro between two drivers such as on Sunday, that's what racing is in most formulae / series.

Leclerc knew his opponent's strength - straight line speed - so he ensured that he got the benefit of DRS on the following straight. That then allowed him to get back in front in time for the part of the track that suited his car. I actually found that to be clever racing. That Max figured it out too, meant that they then had to try something unusual to gain advantage. Again, that's racing.

The only real problem is if it had happened just after a back marker - both overtaking and then slamming on the anchors would have been potentially very unpleasant.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

lh13

Just_a_fan wrote:
piast9 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 17:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
If the cars are matched around a circuit such that they can stay close enough to overtake and retake then it is working as desired by "the fans" and the FIA/FOM. There's lot of overtaking and that is what everyone wants, or so they tell us.

As for the to-and-fro between two drivers such as on Sunday, that's what racing is in most formulae / series.

Leclerc knew his opponent's strength - straight line speed - so he ensured that he got the benefit of DRS on the following straight. That then allowed him to get back in front in time for the part of the track that suited his car. I actually found that to be clever racing. That Max figured it out too, meant that they then had to try something unusual to gain advantage. Again, that's racing.

The only real problem is if it had happened just after a back marker - both overtaking and then slamming on the anchors would have been potentially very unpleasant.
The current config of DRS zones at Jeddah is unfair imo. The driver behind does the hardwork by keeping up with the leading driver through the turns to get the benefit of DRS, and before the last corner, leading driver lets him through to overtake again without doing the hardwork. DRS zones should be separated by at least some corners, this will solve the 'cat and mouse' problem. If one driver overtakes, the other should keep up to get the benefit on the next DRS zone.

Ideally, there should be 2 DRS zones, on different sides of the track, like COTA, Bahrain etc.

Alexf1

Think that after a few races with these new reg cars the amount of DRS zones and their length will be reviewed like was regularly done in the past. Too early days to conclude but indeed it seems like they don't need 2 consecutive straights with long DRS zones this year.

Big Tea

Its probably not that much different from the days of slipstreaming . Before all the turbulence
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Dee
Dee

I don't know why people are whining about the DRS

As I see it, both wins are due to both teams getting the setup right and their drivers carrying out the potential of the car

Bahrain: Power circuit but high tyre deg - advantage downforce - advantage Ferrari

Jeddah: Power circuit with low tyre deg - advantage topspeed - advantage Red Bull

Both teams had choices about how much downforce to put on the car and won because of it

kptaylor

I saw the question earlier in this thread but never saw the answer. What do the regs say about Leclerc's rear lights being out for the first part of the race? Is this directly addressed in the regs? The F1 feed commentators talked about it and wondered if it might mean a penalty, but then they dropped it and never answered their own question. Had me wondering what the answer really is!

Dee
Dee

kptaylor wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 22:13
I saw the question earlier in this thread but never saw the answer. What do the regs say about Leclerc's rear lights being out for the first part of the race? Is this directly addressed in the regs? The F1 feed commentators talked about it and wondered if it might mean a penalty, but then they dropped it and never answered their own question. Had me wondering what the answer really is!
14.3 says that rear lights must be working throughout but it says nothing about what happens if they are not

codetower

Dee wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 22:39
kptaylor wrote:
14.3 says that rear lights must be working throughout but it says nothing about what happens if they are not
Were they genuinely not working, or did Max just assume they weren't working properly? Perhaps Charles wasn't harvesting when Max thought he should be.

etusch

I think DRS must not be a device which leaves overtaker as victim of overtaken guy. So he should be able to defend his gained position with DRS one lap more after overtake. Yes we want to see more overtake but overtake should be based on talent and clever. ( this race was containing these )
My another opinion is Fia should produce a procedure that fast clearing track and start race again as soon as possible. In the same way, lapped cars must take their real race position under sc without overtaking sc. And they must do it when they are starting to line up after sc. By this way sc period will be shortened. Like 3 Drs zone or 2 at some circuits, there must be 3, 2 place for sc to leave track and start race.
I know some Hamilton fans will dislike this idea. But when you think without stucking that race, it is very logical. This can be favour or punish everyone.

kptaylor

codetower wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 23:03
Dee wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 22:39
kptaylor wrote:
Were they genuinely not working, or did Max just assume they weren't working properly? Perhaps Charles wasn't harvesting when Max thought he should be.
Thanks Dee and codetower. Not sure if they weren't in fact working as Palmer dropped the discussion and never returned to it.