2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

Dee wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 08:44
"That's quite literally gaining 1s during VSC, and the lap times also check out. Not sure the difference between your "1.4s moments after VSC was pulled in" and "sudden gap of only 0.8 almost immediately thereafter". Anyway..."

The poster explained to you that the VSC was over, Leclerc misjudged the ending and lost time to Max

Max never went over the delta so him gaining time was never on him but Charles
I think that's irrelevant, I never accused Max of having done something illegal. If the gap that was 1.6s became 0.8s then something for Leclerc to learn for the next time. However without VSC Max wouldn't have gained those 0.8s so for all intents and purposes it was basically gained due to VSC even if it was a second after it ended.

basti313
basti313

dialtone wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 09:24
Dee wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 08:44
"That's quite literally gaining 1s during VSC, and the lap times also check out. Not sure the difference between your "1.4s moments after VSC was pulled in" and "sudden gap of only 0.8 almost immediately thereafter". Anyway..."

The poster explained to you that the VSC was over, Leclerc misjudged the ending and lost time to Max

Max never went over the delta so him gaining time was never on him but Charles
I think that's irrelevant, I never accused Max of having done something illegal. If the gap that was 1.6s became 0.8s then something for Leclerc to learn for the next time. However without VSC Max wouldn't have gained those 0.8s so for all intents and purposes it was basically gained due to VSC even if it was a second after it ended.
So "in VSC" now means "due to VSC"?

But I am anyways not sure what direction you are heading with your argumentation. It is neither in any point clear that the gap closing in this round played any role given how Ves closed the gap further...to me it looks just like managing before VSC and afterwards they were all-in with a clear pace advantage for the RedBull.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Juzh

dialtone wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 02:37
Juzh wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 00:35
On a different topic, how come this wasn't a penalty for magnussen? straight up crossing white line and then entering pitlane, yet nothing came of it. Remember how Tsunoda got hit with double penalty for crossing the line in austria 2021? This new race direction seems very inept.
The rule states:
d) Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the Stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited.
Considering that Ricciardo's car was right in front of the pit entry line, Stewards decided that it was force majeure and decided not to award any penalty.
I agree this explanation could be used in this case, however I'm leaning more towards race direction simply missing it during the race while being preoccupied with other things and just letting it slide afterwards. I checked FIA documents and there's not one mention of this incident.
Makes a mockery of hamilton's race actually since he decided to play it fair and got wrecked on strategy because of it. I find it odd mercedes didn't put any kind of protest against magnussen.

chrisc90

The pitlane was still open when magnusson pitted. The pit lane was closed when Hamilton wanted to be in.

What is there to protest over?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 11:06
The pitlane was still open when magnusson pitted. The pit lane was closed when Hamilton wanted to be in.

You're not allowed to cross the white line when entering the pitlane, you have to be inside it the whole way down. However, as someone else has correctly mentioned there were two cars trundling along the inside lane, so if he had been inside the white line he would've been dangerously close to collecting one of them. Nothing to see here really. Merc messed up by not pre-empting that the VSC, they got a bit greedy and were waiting for the vsc to be called to save the most amount of time and it came back to bite them. they should've just gambled and darted in. They would've done half the pit stop under VSC and probably would've ended up 6. I'm a little confused as to why they didn't call it. I was yelling at the tv for them to box, because it was clear the pitlane would probably be closed because of where the cars were stopping. Guess having dozens of strategists in mission control can sometimes hamper quick decisions, reacting immediately to a situation.

basti313
basti313

bonjon1979 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 11:15
chrisc90 wrote:

You're not allowed to cross the white line when entering the pitlane, you have to be inside it the whole way down. However, as someone else has correctly mentioned there were two cars trundling along the inside lane, so if he had been inside the white line he would've been dangerously close to collecting one of them. Nothing to see here really. Merc messed up by not pre-empting that the VSC, they got a bit greedy and were waiting for the vsc to be called to save the most amount of time and it came back to bite them. they should've just gambled and darted in. They would've done half the pit stop under VSC and probably would've ended up 6. I'm a little confused as to why they didn't call it. I was yelling at the tv for them to box, because it was clear the pitlane would probably be closed because of where the cars were stopping. Guess having dozens of strategists in mission control can sometimes hamper quick decisions, reacting immediately to a situation.
Please check the team radios...Merc wanted to pit, Ham was distracted and missed the call.

There is also no general issue with crossing the line, it is just restricted to reduce security issues with late crossing. The "no drive" zone was the green and white line with the addon, that one must not pass it after committing to enter the pits.

Similar to crossing the line slightly, example Lec, as long as there is still a clear differentiation who is entering and who not everything is fine.
Don`t russel the hamster!

LM10
LM10

There is nothing to discuss about regarding the Magnussen incident, in my opinion. He crossed the white line, but clearly because Ricciardo was on the left. And he could pit because the pit lane was open.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

langedweil wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 22:22
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 14:44
jz11 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 14:33

the way I understood it is that teams can't argue any more about it with stewards, but they can give it up on their own before the official decision is made, so if the case is more or less clear and situation allows it - teams can act without orders from above, but if they don't, then they are at full mercy of the stewards, which usually results in a harsher punishment

this is a big improvement on the previous situation where they would endlessly argue and haggle like they are on a market, which IMO was unacceptable, waiting for official ruling every time would turn this into kindergarten level of event

this situation was close, drivers couldn't really 100% see it themselves from their perspective, and that Sainz message him saying he was ahead or not was just drama build up, he literally couldn't see if he was or wasn't in front, you could only see it from the outside
but here again RedBull cleverness coming into play.
They wanted to protect their 2nd placed car by leaving Checo on 3rd.
This kind of games should be considered by Race Control.
Sainz had no opportunity to possibly attack 2nd place driver at restart. Here Max Verstappen
BTW like Abu Dhabi... :shock:
My oh my ...
Same comment made by JPalmer at F1TV.
So what...

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

basti313 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 11:55
bonjon1979 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 11:15
chrisc90 wrote:

Please check the team radios...Merc wanted to pit, Ham was distracted and missed the call.

There is also no general issue with crossing the line, it is just restricted to reduce security issues with late crossing. The "no drive" zone was the green and white line with the addon, that one must not pass it after committing to enter the pits.

Similar to crossing the line slightly, example Lec, as long as there is still a clear differentiation who is entering and who not everything is fine.
Oh yea, Hamilton seemed to be about to report the slow moving car as they called him to box and he missed it

PlatinumZealot

saviour stivala wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 13:25
MGU-K Harvests/harness waste kinetic energy from rear brakes that would otherwise go to waste. If the brakes are not activated there cannot be any waste kinetic energy recovered from rear brakes. Simply put. the brake pedal is the 'switch' that acrivates MGU-K harvesting.
They will harvest in lift and coast if that setting is enabled too. F1 front brakes are extremely aggressive so that actually upsets the car too much if you want to start harvesting earlier. So lift an coast with mguk on the rear helps add a bit more energy before you apply the agressive front brakes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Harvesting other then when using the brakes (using the brakes means using the brake pedal) is not harvesting energy from the brakes that would otherwise have gone to waste.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Do we have a thread more suited to this braking discussion chaps?

It's not quite Jeddah, is it? ;)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM