Spa is going to look significantly different this year!

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MattWellsyWells
MattWellsyWells

Re: Spa is going to look significantly different this year!

SiLo wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 16:00
koolway wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 15:46
SiLo wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 14:13
You'd think they could have it gravel for F1, and then tarmac for what ever else they need. Or even if its large sheets of some composite, grippy material that is removed and replaced with gravel for certain weekends. I feel like a car rolling over is less dangerous than one being bounced back into the path of other cars doing 170mph
How would you fill the min. 25cm left by the gravel removal ?
whether it's gravel or a "solid" run off, it must be leveled with the adjacent track, otherwise it will be a launch platform to the sky, or induce some roll-overs. So when you make a choice, you cannot switch easily.
Large composite plates that are just screwed into the ground that are 25cm thick. I feel like having more modularity to race tracks would really benefit them in being able to host multiple types of races. I don't mean Paul Ricard in terms of track layout, although some extras like are being added in Austria would be useful.
I've always thought something like this would be a good way of solving the track limits problem. You just need a half meter wide panel that bolts down at the edge of the track with grass/astroturf on it for cars. Then it can be replaced with a concrete/tarmac one for bike racing. Not sure how feasible it would be to do it for a whole gravel trap though.

notsofast
notsofast

If we're capable of sending a telescope to L2, we should certainly be able to use electronic means to determine whether a car has left the track. If the stewards had the balls to apply the correct penalties, we wouldn't have to ask for gravel and grass.

adrianjordan

mzso wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 13:54
adrianjordan wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 02:07
Right, so he was bounced back onto the track where the fatal collision occurred so moving the barriers back and changing the angle of them reduces the risk of this happening.

Anything that reduces the risk of an accident is a good thing.

Policing of track limits is a separate issue entirely and should not mean they don't take steps to make circuits safer.
Still no. The fatal collision happened off the track.
And it still has no relevance to radillion, because it happened after.
It was a chain of events that started at Radillion.

Saying otherwise is like saying that Domino's delivering pizza to my house has nothing to do with me ordering Domino's pizza.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mzso
mzso

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 18:00

Saying otherwise is like saying that Domino's delivering pizza to my house has nothing to do with me ordering Domino's pizza.
It has nothing to do with radillon, and especially nothing with the inside run-off. Two Drivers slowed when they saw someone going slow, and a third one didn't. All three used the run-off after radillon as it was the circuit.

adrianjordan

mzso wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 19:44
adrianjordan wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 18:00

It has nothing to do with radillon, and especially nothing with the inside run-off. Two Drivers slowed when they saw someone going slow, and a third one didn't. All three used the run-off after radillon as it was the circuit.
And why was that person going slow? Because they'd gone off at Radillion and been thrown back onto the track.

But I can see you have your own version and we'll never agree, so I'll leave this here.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mzso
mzso

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 22:59
And why was that person going slow? Because they'd gone off at Radillion and been thrown back onto the track.

But I can see you have your own version and we'll never agree, so I'll leave this here.
You can twist it all you want you won't be less wrong. Alesi spun because of damage and was driving slow, nothing in particular to Radillon.