2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Las Vegas 2023

Scorpaguy wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 15:05
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 06:54
and a big “nationalism” mentality that made it hard for them to adopt something that wasn’t born in the US to begin with…
...yep, there are still quite a few over here that view the introduction of soccer as a communist plot (actually only being half sarcastic) :?
Lol… That’s another sport that has always struggled to break through

DChemTech
DChemTech

CrazyCarperF1 wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 16:15
I don't know whats worse? Another American race or another street circuit. Surely neither is needed.
Maybe this is F1s April fools?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 12:03
In India there is no sports evolution at all.
There's this little sport called cricket. Not everyone's heard of it, perhaps. In India, they have the India Premier League which is a cricket league. Here's a snap shot of its brand value growth:
Now tell me there's no sports evolution.

As for the market, India, along with China, have huge populations that want to buy quality products. They represent the market of the future. Getting in to those markets now is the intelligent thing to do for anyone that wants to grow their brand over the next 20 years.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 15:27
Dull looking layout. DRS fly-bys will be order of the day.
Exactly so. Turn 1 is a proper corner albeit a hairpin. T2 is an acceleration zone. T3 is likely to be pretty much flat or a slight lift before accelerating again, T4 is nothing, then flat to T5 which is a 90degree corner. T6 will be a balancing act for some cars although the top cars will be rapid around there, T7 and T8 are flat although braking for T9 may be interesting if they're really fast in T8. T9 is basically a 90degree corner. Then flat out through "turn" 10 before a fiddle through T11 and 12/13 before being flat all the way to T1 again (T14 is a nothing kink).

Based on these turn numbers:

Passing using DRS ought to be as simple as you like. There are 3 straights and any one of them with a DRS zone will make for easy passing, especially the light-years long run from T9 to T11.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mogster

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 16:24
basti313 wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 12:03
In India there is no sports evolution at all.
There's this little sport called cricket. Not everyone's heard of it, perhaps. In India, they have the India Premier League which is a cricket league. Here's a snap shot of its brand value growth:
https://i.ibb.co/j5g7Ffy/image-2022-04-01-152129.png
Now tell me there's no sports evolution.

As for the market, India, along with China, have huge populations that want to buy quality products. They represent the market of the future. Getting in to those markets now is the intelligent thing to do for anyone that wants to grow their brand over the next 20 years.
After the surprise $15M tax bill LM were landed with last time there’s no way F1 will be going back to India in the near future.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 06:49
B) From 1950 until 1991, the US was host to a Formula 1 race uninterrupted
C) From 1950 until 1991, there were more races held in the US than in any other country, since in several seasons there 2 races held in the US)… UK/Britain also had 2 races held in the same season
yes

the Indy 500 counted for the WDC 1950-60
(but as it counted Indy-rules cars for the WDC almost no F1 cars were there - & the WDC was of course F2 in 1952/53)
but didn't count for what we now call the WCC (which started in 1958)

US GPs at Sebring 1959 and Riverside 1960 were F1 rules and WDC (so yes there was then 2 US WDC rounds)

the US GP then at Watkins Glen thereafter (1961-1980)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Tommy Cookers wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 01:02
SmallSoldier wrote:
C) From 1950 until 1991, there were more races held in the US than in any other country, since in several seasons there 2 races held in the US)… UK/Britain also had 2 races held in the same season
yes

(but as it counted Indy-rules cars for the WDC almost no F1 cars were there - & the WDC was of course F2 in 1952/53)

US GPs at Sebring 1959 and Riverside 1960 were F1 rules and WDC (so yes there was then 2 US WDC rounds)

I just wanted to provide a counter argument to the “F1 was only raced in Europe” argument… It did start in Europe, it was and is for the most part European based, but it has always tried to be a Global Sport… And the US has always been an important market for them, it isn’t a new strategy.

Now, I’m not advocating for any races to be replaced by one in the US, but I do have a hard time understanding the arguments against it and so far, I have not really seeing a rational one.

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 06:36
Tommy Cookers wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 01:02
SmallSoldier wrote:
yes

I just wanted to provide a counter argument to the “F1 was only raced in Europe” argument… It did start in Europe, it was and is for the most part European based, but it has always tried to be a Global Sport… And the US has always been an important market for them, it isn’t a new strategy.

Now, I’m not advocating for any races to be replaced by one in the US, but I do have a hard time understanding the arguments against it and so far, I have not really seeing a rational one.
Australia and NZ have had quite an impact on F1. There have been 17 Formula One drivers from Australia 9 from NZ.

Bramham and Mclaren were started by Anzacs and there were several other designers and builders in F1 and other formula such as Raynard Ron Tauranac, and lots more that slip my mind.

57 American drivers according to Wiki. I remember Penske and Parnelli, Gurney and am sure there were more teams too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren111

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 15:47
Scorpaguy wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 15:05
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 06:54
and a big “nationalism” mentality that made it hard for them to adopt something that wasn’t born in the US to begin with…
...yep, there are still quite a few over here that view the introduction of soccer as a communist plot (actually only being half sarcastic) :?
Lol… That’s another sport that has always struggled to break through

Well, it is boring as hell... :mrgreen:

And the injury acting is enough to make anyone vomit... :wink:

McL-H
McL-H

Wouter wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 09:41
Terrible layout! Another streetcircuit and a another nightrace! :x

Stop whining, please. What do you expect? To go to Las Vegas, race The Strip and then do so during daytime? You would consider a day race in Las Vegas better than a night race? Honestly.. some people could make a living out of complaining.

mclaren111

I've never watched Drive to Survive... Never Will...

Not much interest in Netflix from me... :D

Wouter

McL-H wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 15:43
Wouter wrote:

Stop whining, please. What do you expect? To go to Las Vegas, race The Strip and then do so during daytime?
You would consider a day race in Las Vegas better than a night race?
Honestly.. some people could make a living out of complaining.
Excuse me?! Do YOU decide if I like night races?! Do YOU decide if I like this boring layout?! Do YOU decide if I like street racing?!
So you decide if anyone here is positive or negative about a night street race in Las Vegas?!
Have already heard so many people who don't like a street circuit in Las Vegas, even people who live close to Las Vegas
don't want to go there.
So you can only comment here if you are positive about a street race in Las Vegas? :roll:
The umpteenth boring street race at night instead of on one of the many beautiful circuits with a nice layout,
good flow, where they can REALLY race!
The Power of Dreams!

McL-H
McL-H

Wouter wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 16:33
McL-H wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Stop whining, please. What do you expect? To go to Las Vegas, race The Strip and then do so during daytime?
Excuse me?! Do YOU decide if I like night races?! Do YOU decide if I like this boring layout?! Do YOU decide if I like street racing?!
So you decide if anyone here is positive or negative about a night street race in Las Vegas?!
Have already heard so many people who don't like a street circuit in Las Vegas, even people who live close to Las Vegas
don't want to go there.
So you can only comment here if you are positive about a street race in Las Vegas? :roll:
The umpteenth boring street race at night instead of on one of the many beautiful circuits with a nice layout,
good flow, where they can REALLY race!
I don’t decide anything, other than that I am done with negative people seeking for ways to complain about literally everything. Nightrace, dayrace; permanent track, street track; Europe, Asia, US. If you don’t like one combination this week, you might like another combination next week. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. There are 23 races on the calendar and I enjoy some tracks more than others.
Zandvoort: daytime, Europe, permanent track. It is all you want — and it’s just as thrilling as Monaco. The combination of track factors doesn’t need to mean anything for the excitement of the races. People didn’t expect Baku to produce anything worthwhile either before we even had 1 race.

Wouter

McL-H wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 18:01
Wouter wrote:
McL-H wrote:
I don’t decide anything, other than that
I am done with negative people seeking for ways to complain about literally everything.
Then you shouldn't have responded to me, because I don't belong to that category.
I'm only negative about racing on some sort of oval with some 90 degree turns on the streets of Las Vegas and I'm allowed to.
The Power of Dreams!

mclaren111

Wouter wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 19:16
McL-H wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 18:01
Wouter wrote:

I don’t decide anything, other than that
I am done with negative people seeking for ways to complain about literally everything.
Then you shouldn't have responded to me, because I don't belong to that category.
I'm only negative about racing on some sort of oval with some 90 degree turns on the streets of Las Vegas and I'm allowed to.

Totally agree... We pay a lot of money to watch F1...