2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

Artur Craft wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 14:15
JordanMugen wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 07:08
I don't think the Hankook Ventus name has quite the recognition of the Pirelli P Zero name (despite Ventus tyres now being OEM fit on many performance vehicles, including from Germany), so it would have been a coup for Hankook. A shame, really.
Hankook provided excelent tyres for DTM and Euro F3(much better than Pirelli´s GP3 ones, for my taste)

Anyway, I hate spec tyres. As F1 is not an spec series, unlike Indycar and their spec Firestones/Bridgestones, I think F1 should always have regulation open for tyre war. So sad it´s not like that anymore
DTM cancelled the well payed contract with Hankook because their GP3 tire is too slow. I do not think this is a good advertisement for their quality...
Don`t russel the hamster!

basti313
basti313

SiLo wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 14:51
Why is everyone complaining about tyres? They were fine this weekend. Maybe Hards lasted too long but it gave us some interesting strategies.
???
The only good things were that they recognized that they have an error in the development (C4 useless) and that no tires did not blow up.
The long lasting hard was a bit strange on a surprisingly fast on the Williams. Besides this the graining on the C3 was crazy high. Very bad tire in the race for most teams. C5 useless in the race...
I think the tires looked good in middle east...I fear we see more of these graining issues in Europe.

dialtone
dialtone

basti313 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:09
SiLo wrote:
Why is everyone complaining about tyres? They were fine this weekend. Maybe Hards lasted too long but it gave us some interesting strategies.
???
The only good things were that they recognized that they have an error in the development (C4 useless) and that no tires did not blow up.
The long lasting hard was a bit strange on a surprisingly fast on the Williams. Besides this the graining on the C3 was crazy high. Very bad tire in the race for most teams. C5 useless in the race...
I think the tires looked good in middle east...I fear we see more of these graining issues in Europe.
I don't think that's true at all. Alpine and RedBull were the only 2 teams with serious issues with the C3 and that's because they had the wrong setup in the car. Other teams didn't have problems with it.

basti313
basti313

dialtone wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:20
basti313 wrote:
SiLo wrote:
???
I don't think that's true at all. Alpine and RedBull were the only 2 teams with serious issues with the C3 and that's because they had the wrong setup in the car. Other teams didn't have problems with it.
Everyone who tried a Hard - Medium strategy was grilled by this. Magnussen as well as Alonso, that was the reason for Williams going long. Which was not fast, they were helped by the second SC and the fact that some had to stop again due to the graining.
In the front everyone was managing, Hamiltons tires had a heavy visual stripe on them after pushing and he had a bad lap before his stop due to this graining.

dialtone
dialtone

basti313 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:32
dialtone wrote:
basti313 wrote:

???
Everyone who tried a Hard - Medium strategy was grilled by this. Magnussen as well as Alonso, that was the reason for Williams going long. Which was not fast, they were helped by the second SC and the fact that some had to stop again due to the graining.
In the front everyone was managing, Hamiltons tires had a heavy visual stripe on them after pushing and he had a bad lap before his stop due to this graining.
I'm not seeing such a clear trend on Magnussen, but you keep piling on cars that have had setup issues all weekend.

You can see on lap 10 verstappen just goes a whole chunk slower, and you can see ALO at lap 49 starts degrading off. But Magnussen, while not in great shape, is doing pretty decently for a car with setup issues, and about the same trend as he had on the hards.

Postmoe

dialtone wrote:
basti313 wrote:
SiLo wrote:
???
Medium tires getting grilled in 2-3 laps cannot be, by any means, a desirable standard.
In Bahrein they where crazy inconsistent too, only in SA the tires looked consistent enough to push on them, and SA has a very particular tarmac.

dialtone
dialtone

Postmoe wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:42
dialtone wrote:
basti313 wrote:

???
Medium tires getting grilled in 2-3 laps cannot be, by any means, a desirable standard.
In Bahrein they where crazy inconsistent too, only in SA the tires looked consistent enough to push on them, and SA has a very particular tarmac.
Then do a better job with setup, if you try and setup your car with a low downforce package because you can't pile on more, then don't be surprised when you get graining.

codetower

How is it that some teams had no issues with the mediums? Leclerc, Perez, Russel, Hamilton, Norris, Ricciardo, and a couple of others all did 20+ laps on the mediums.

basti313
basti313

dialtone wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:38
basti313 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I'm not seeing such a clear trend on Magnussen, but you keep piling on cars that have had setup issues all weekend.

https://i.postimg.cc/BJvkKNCw/race-LEC-VER-ALO-MAG.png

You can see on lap 10 verstappen just goes a whole chunk slower, and you can see ALO at lap 49 starts degrading off. But Magnussen, while not in great shape, is doing pretty decently for a car with setup issues, and about the same trend as he had on the hards.
I think this graph is not really telling anything else...and please pull it up like this you see nothing.
Lec was just managing all race. Ver clearly hat the drop, Alo had the drop. Magnussen had ~10laps good tires, did a 1:23 low. After these ~10 laps he struggeled with the graining, dropped to 24 low (so one second off the pace) and in the end he was overtaken by Schumacher, who did constant 23low at this point.
Also the McLarens completely dropped off with Ric reporting the issue.

For me it is hard to not find someone compromised but Leclerc. Once anyone was pushing the graining started. I just think we did not see too much as they were barely pushing on the Mediums.

dialtone
dialtone

basti313 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:25
dialtone wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I think this graph is not really telling anything else...and please pull it up like this you see nothing.
Lec was just managing all race. Ver clearly hat the drop, Alo had the drop. Magnussen had ~10laps good tires, did a 1:23 low. After these ~10 laps he struggeled with the graining, dropped to 24 low (so one second off the pace) and in the end he was overtaken by Schumacher, who did constant 23low at this point.

For me it is hard to not find someone compromised but Leclerc. Once anyone was pushing the graining started. I just think we did not see too much as they were barely pushing on the Mediums.
Here's what you can do: add more downforce to the front wing like Ferrari did on Saturday.

basti313
basti313

dialtone wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:34
basti313 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Here's what you can do: add more downforce to the front wing like Ferrari did on Saturday.
I do not have an F1 car, sorry.
The graining was introduced by a bit higher track temp and got everyone by surprise. I do not think Ferrari was planning for this, they just did not have to push.

I think the solution would rather be a good tire. This stupid graining once the temps change a bit is nothing you see on any other good racing tire.

chrstphrln

codetower wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:03
How is it that some teams had no issues with the mediums? Leclerc, Perez, Russel, Hamilton, Norris, Ricciardo, and a couple of others all did 20+ laps on the mediums.
Think the same. The tires were not the problem. A few cars had just the wrong setup to treat them right.

dialtone
dialtone

basti313 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:57
dialtone wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:34
basti313 wrote:

I do not have an F1 car, sorry.
The graining was introduced by a bit higher track temp and got everyone by surprise. I do not think Ferrari was planning for this, they just did not have to push.

I think the solution would rather be a good tire. This stupid graining once the temps change a bit is nothing you see on any other good racing tire.
Most certainly not accurate again...
https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-ha-alza ... e-a-imola/
Ferrari started with a setup that was going to protect primarily the rear tyres, then long runs in FP2 showed a possibility for graining in the front, more apparent on the mediums. To handle this, between friday and saturday they decided 2 fundamental things. The first: increase front downforce to limit graining. They chose the higher load front wing of the 2 they brought in Australia, the one with the top flap straight rather than slightly cut. Albert park didn't just change layout but also tarmac; Pirelli itself, via Mario Isola, warned since friday that sliding, even with increase in grip, was possibly going to continue during the race since the track wasn't treated with high pressure wash to eliminate excess bitumen. [...] The second a 5 HP increase in the engine to counter the added drag compared to RedBull.
So everyone knew, they bet they could get away with it like in Jeddah, but they did not get away with it.

On top of it worth mentioning that RedBull spent the first 20 minutes of FP2 in box trying to fix their setup after FP1 showed significant balance problems, ultimately it meant that Ferrari was able to do 18 laps on Mediums in FP2, while RedBull did only 14 and maybe this was enough to discover the graining on the Ferrari side.

CHT
CHT

Artur Craft wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 14:15
JordanMugen wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 07:08
I don't think the Hankook Ventus name has quite the recognition of the Pirelli P Zero name (despite Ventus tyres now being OEM fit on many performance vehicles, including from Germany), so it would have been a coup for Hankook. A shame, really.
Hankook provided excelent tyres for DTM and Euro F3(much better than Pirelli´s GP3 ones, for my taste)

Anyway, I hate spec tyres. As F1 is not an spec series, unlike Indycar and their spec Firestones/Bridgestones, I think F1 should always have regulation open for tyre war. So sad it´s not like that anymore
The Bridgestone and Michelin tyre war did turn F1 into a race between 2 tyre companies and the "climax" is perhaps 2005 US GP

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

basti313 wrote:
SiLo wrote:
???
The c1s were quite useless in bahrain. I dont think any conclusions can be made about any compound at this point. The tarmac type and track temperature are big variables as well.