2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Artur Craft

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

basti313 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:02
DTM cancelled the well payed contract with Hankook because their GP3 tire is too slow. I do not think this is a good advertisement for their quality...
Do you have a source for that?

Hankook tyres are not only fast but durable. I always had the impression that they are much better than Pirellis given how insanely fast DTM was and Euro F3(series which Mick was champion before going to F2, along with Zhou).

On google, I found an article saying they extented their contract with DTM:
https://www.tractionnews.com/hankook-ti ... -dtm-2023/

I think it´s very sad that fellow F1 fans around here disliked the consistent performance of the C4 tyre in Melbourne. I thought that´s what we all wanted?! :wtf:

I´m curious to see how that C4 behaves in Imola´s tarmac(if it will a an option, anyway)

CHT
CHT

Artur Craft wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 05:22
basti313 wrote:
DTM cancelled the well payed contract with Hankook because their GP3 tire is too slow. I do not think this is a good advertisement for their quality...
Do you have a source for that?

Hankook tyres are not only fast but durable. I always had the impression that they are much better than Pirellis given how insanely fast DTM was and Euro F3(series which Mick was champion before going to F2, along with Zhou).

I think it´s very sad that fellow F1 fans around here disliked the consistent performance of the C4 tyre in Melbourne. I thought that´s what we all wanted?! :wtf:

I´m curious to see how that C4 behaves in Imola´s tarmac(if it will a an option, anyway)
I believe F1 tires are purposely designed to favour performance over durability as their objective is to make the race exciting and the outcome less predictable. If F1 tires are made too durable and have no degradation, then there may be no need for tire change or pitstop.

basti313
basti313

Artur Craft wrote:
basti313 wrote:
That is a 2019 post. Last year DTM was on Michelin for performance reasons.
Artur Craft wrote:
What did we want? Tires that can be nursed across a race distance but fall apart in traffic? I did not want this.

Albon was very lucky and smart to stay out of fighting. The other ones in the DRS train behind Stroll killed their tires.
Don`t russel the hamster!

PlatinumZealot

What did we want? Tires that can be nursed across a race distance but fall apart in traffic? I did not want this.

Albon was very lucky and smart to stay out of fighting. The other ones in the DRS train behind Stroll killed their tires.
[/quote]

The only issue I had, and it was a small one, was that the medium tyre was graining on some cars and this was mostly do to the fresh tarmac and the way the cars work. So I reallly can't complain about Pirreli too much here.

The tyres were created from mule cars so meet a certain degradation profile, they can make all of the tyres strong and fast because it would take away all the strategy of keeping the tyres alive and managing stints.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Don’t know if it has been discussed yet but:

With both incidents where drivers pushed another driver off track remaining unpunished (Bot/Str, Alo/Mag) and the so often promised consitency in juding incidents, that means rules of engagement for this year are basically off.

See Palmer's analysis for the Aus GP.

I expect drivers will go back to the dirty pushing the attacker wide and off track at corner exit as he wasnt there tactics to cut off any overtaking attempts.

It's already a lose/lose as they now need to either
-continue the history of inconsitent judging of incidents or
-live with the carnage they create which means racing will suffer

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

the solution to tyres is refueling

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Alonsismo wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 23:52
The problem with refuelling is that it becomes the way of gaining position on track and thus reduces on-track racing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 00:19
Alonsismo wrote:
The problem with refuelling is that it becomes the way of gaining position on track and thus reduces on-track racing.
Or is it just regaining your position due to running light up until that point :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 00:21
Just_a_fan wrote:
Alonsismo wrote:
Or is it just regaining your position due to running light up until that point :mrgreen:
It brought in "strategy" at a time when the on-track racing was basically non-existent. It was as artificial as DRS but at least DRS means cars race on track, not in the pits.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 00:47
Big Tea wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 00:21
Just_a_fan wrote:

It brought in "strategy" at a time when the on-track racing was basically non-existent. It was as artificial as DRS but at least DRS means cars race on track, not in the pits.
TBH I remember the first time when Bernies team tried it and I was enthralled. There were free tyres then though.
It did open up a lot of options but they are mostly closed now. I would like to see it if all the regs preventing a different strategy were removed too. I would also like to see the option of doing the whole race on hard tyres, start to finish, but the very hardest would have to be available every race.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

politburo
politburo

Artur Craft wrote:

You mean to say the C2 tyre right?.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

How about teams have to declare their tyre strategy ~2 laps to the FIA after FP1 and not deviate from it unless weather/rainy weekend. Just like they can’t change gear ratios and engines maps.

If they’ve had to pit early for damage reasons then that’s fine, if they want to take an additional stop then fine. But they have to say we start on tyre X change to tyre Y on lap 15 +-2 laps etc.

I don’t like the idea but it is an idea, however artificial.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

KeiKo403 wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 16:10
How about teams have to declare their tyre strategy ~2 laps to the FIA after FP1 and not deviate from it unless weather/rainy weekend. Just like they can’t change gear ratios and engines maps.

If they’ve had to pit early for damage reasons then that’s fine, if they want to take an additional stop then fine. But they have to say we start on tyre X change to tyre Y on lap 15 +-2 laps etc.

I don’t like the idea but it is an idea, however artificial.
Or just have a single tyre that is capable of being run for the whole race? You can change tyres if you want but you're not required to. If you decide to then you don't get blue flags if your stop drops you in to the pack - you're racing for position because the guys around you don't have to stop.

PlatinumZealot

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 15:37
Don’t know if it has been discussed yet but:

With both incidents where drivers pushed another driver off track remaining unpunished (Bot/Str, Alo/Mag) and the so often promised consitency in juding incidents, that means rules of engagement for this year are basically off.

See Palmer's analysis for the Aus GP.

I expect drivers will go back to the dirty pushing the attacker wide and off track at corner exit as he wasnt there tactics to cut off any overtaking attempts.

It's already a lose/lose as they now need to either
-continue the history of inconsitent judging of incidents or
-live with the carnage they create which means racing will suffer
I think the Bottas / Stroll one was let go becauase Bottas left the door open too wide and also that he managed to pass soon after.

Haven't seen the ALO/MAG yet.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Artur Craft

politburo wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 07:16
You mean to say the C2 tyre right?.
Yeah, C2. My bad :oops:

@basti do you have a link saying DTM switched to Michelin due to performance? I stopped following it a few years ago and didn´t even know they changed to GT3 cars. I would assume they switched to Michelin merely because the french manufacturer has a huge tradition supplying to those cars and others brands cannot match it. But I really don´t think Hankook was a bad tyre and they are gonna supply to Formula E on the next season.