2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mattchu

Re: 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

It will be very intersting if it does turn out to be wet in parts of the weekend. Ground effect is the same (pretty much) whether the surface is wet or dry surely?
Some cars may sort of gamble that wet tyres are going to be mainly used so will drop the car by the 5mm height mentioned, this could cause "issues" if slicks are used, others may keep it at the same height they`ve been using and take any hit which wet tyres and the resulting height changes bring!

Although it probably won`t make much difference in the end, save for a few outliers!

Big Tea

Mattchu wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 14:36
It will be very intersting if it does turn out to be wet in parts of the weekend. Ground effect is the same (pretty much) whether the surface is wet or dry surely?
Some cars may sort of gamble that wet tyres are going to be mainly used so will drop the car by the 5mm height mentioned, this could cause "issues" if slicks are used, others may keep it at the same height they`ve been using and take any hit which wet tyres and the resulting height changes bring!

Although it probably won`t make much difference in the end, save for a few outliers!
Are they not allowed to make those adjustments in Parc Ferm if a wet race is called?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mattchu

Big Tea wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 18:14
Mattchu wrote:

Are they not allowed to make those adjustments in Parc Ferm if a wet race is called?
Pretty sure they`re only allowed to change things like brake ducts, radiator ducts and tyres but can`t mess with suspension components or lower the ride height...

Big Tea

Mattchu wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 19:54
Big Tea wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 18:14
Mattchu wrote:

Pretty sure they`re only allowed to change things like brake ducts, radiator ducts and tyres but can`t mess with suspension components or lower the ride height...

Right, thanks. I thought as the wet tyre was slightly larger it was allowed, but that could even have been the old tyre.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

napoleon1981

JPBD1990 wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 05:46
Rain looking like a possibility this weekend. Given where Ferrari seem strong - low to medium speed and under traction, a layman has to assume rain would play to their strengths.

I also have to assume it would help merc who, at least in race trim, seem to have similar strengths to the Ferrari. Rain would slow them down a bit maybe making porpoising less of an issue?

Redbull with an understeery balance and favouring low-load wings and high top speeds, one assumes, would struggle…

But that’s just my best guess. Can’t wait to watch it unfold. Even as an Aussie who just got to watch his favourite team dominate in aus, I’m happy that f1 is back in Europe and some order can be restored to my sleep schedule.
While i can follow your reasoning, there is also the aspect of turning on the rain tires and getting those in the right temp range. This might be even more important, and is largely an unknown. Maybe the RB puts more energy in there based on last race?

Artur Craft

erudite450 wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 15:16
MtthsMlw wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 12:47
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 12:10
Does the winner of the sprint still start first on Sunday? When they first said that the pole was awarded in the qualifying I was confused
Yes, sprint still sets the grid for the race.
How does that work exactly? "Well done. You are credited with pole but you won't start on pole."
Not only that´s illogical but it will be inconsistent too. Before, people that were quickest on qualifying but did not start the GP on pole, were not given the "pole statistic"(for instance, Schumacher on 2012 or Leclerc last year, at Monaco), but now they will #-o

erudite450

Artur Craft wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 04:39
erudite450 wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 12:47

Yes, sprint still sets the grid for the race.
How does that work exactly? "Well done. You are credited with pole but you won't start on pole."
Not only that´s illogical but it will be inconsistent too. Before, people that were quickest on qualifying but did not start the GP on pole, were not given the "pole statistic"(for instance, Schumacher on 2012 or Leclerc last year, at Monaco), but now they will #-o
I couldn't agree more!

erudite450

Saturday seems a nailed on wet day with a 100% chance of rain at the moment on Google. The rest of the weekend might be dry or changeable. Good decision by most teams not to take updates to Imola. It might be a wild weekend.

basti313

erudite450 wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 08:57
Artur Craft wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 04:39
erudite450 wrote:

I couldn't agree more!
I still can not understand why they are not simply running a Q for the Sprint on Friday and a Q for the race on Sunday. If you just look at the timetable of this weekend it is ridiculous. Some action in the morning with much too much stretch between and then for a normal spectator nearly 2 hours noting until the pit lane opens....
I would never buy a ticket for this in Imola...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Wouter

erudite450 wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 09:01
Saturday seems a nailed on wet day with a 100% chance of rain at the moment on Google. The rest of the weekend might be dry or changeable. Good decision by most teams not to take updates to Imola. It might be a wild weekend.
Most wheater sites say the same.

Friday morning 100% and from 4 pm 75% - 85% chance of rain
and Saturday morning dry and from 4 pm 20% - 30%.
The Power of Dreams!

JPBD1990

Interesting. Our first taste of wet weather running looking more likely. Smart money would have to be on Ferrari? But I’m really interested to see how wet running suits Mercedes. If they go well it should confirm their car is extremely high downforce but maybe draggy as some have suggested. If redbull go well, maybe it confirms that they’re putting more energy through their tyres.

Ferrari have been horrific in the wet since about 2006 so I’m interested to see if the seemingly fundamental strength and versatility of the F1-75 does translate to a wet track.

Given McLaren and Alpine seem to prefer higher speed tracks and flowing corners, one assumes they’d like the wet less…

Haas is also interesting. I wonder where they’ll shake out in the wet. Alfa should go well being very light. I’ve got a small bet on Bottas finishing top 6. Wish me luck!

deadhead

Fri wet, Sat-Sun looking dry according to

https://darksky.net/forecast/44.3559,11.716/ca12/en

They are usually very good

erudite450

Too bad! If a driver "out-qualifies" his machinery, there are then two chances for him to be dragged down to earth unfortunately.

KeiKo403

I'm interested to see what impact the wet weather has with regards to visibility for following drivers. Would we (aero people (of which I am not)) get a better understanding of what the cars are doing aero wise from looking at the water being expelled from under the car?

Roman

Don't get your hopes up too soon with regard to rain. My forecast says quite heavy rain Thursday night and Friday morning but from 12.00 o'clock onwards little to no rain. Could mean intermediates at best.