2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

MeteoGroup are saying heavy rain overnight Thursday-Friday, dry Saturday, showers Sunday.

Seems we’ll most likely see rain sometime in the weekend but when?

SiLo

Mogster wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 12:35
MeteoGroup are saying heavy rain overnight Thursday-Friday, dry Saturday, showers Sunday.

Seems we’ll most likely see rain sometime in the weekend but when?
If there are cars on track, the rain will miraculously stop most likely :lol:
Felipe Baby!

Wouter

Ventusky and Windy both indicate the following:
During FP1 4.2 mm of rain and during qualifying 0.4 - 0.7 mm of rain.
Dry from Friday 6 pm to Sunday 4 am. Then light rain until 3/4 pm. Only Windy.
Ventusky says Sunday morning around Imola thunderstorms and rain and round 2 pm light rain.

So the teams have to choose a wet weather setup for FP1, don't they?
After FP1 the car goes into Parc Fermé. If it gets dry during the weekend, what exactly can they change about the setup?
The Power of Dreams!

SiLo

Wouter wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 13:57
Ventusky says Sunday morning around Imola thunderstorms and rain and round 2 pm light rain.

After FP1 the car goes into Parc Fermé. If it gets dry during the weekend, what exactly can they change about the setup?
i don't think they change too much between wet and dry setup, usually its more wing and if they are running very low, the might increase the ride height a bit, but the wet tyres usually do that themselves enough anyway.

What will be interesting is seeing if the teams having to run high already suddenly become a lot more competitive when it is wet.
Felipe Baby!

TimW
TimW

https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/openchar ... 2204241500

I think ecmwf forecasts are one of the most reliable. A wet weekend seems quite likely.

Interesting if the first practice is very wet. I wonder if anyone will dare to put updates on their car then.

PlatinumZealot

KeiKo403 wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 09:27
I'm interested to see what impact the wet weather has with regards to visibility for following drivers. Would we (aero people (of which I am not)) get a better understanding of what the cars are doing aero wise from looking at the water being expelled from under the car?
If it's less turbulence behind the cars the spray should be clearer I guess.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 15:17
KeiKo403 wrote:
I'm interested to see what impact the wet weather has with regards to visibility for following drivers. Would we (aero people (of which I am not)) get a better understanding of what the cars are doing aero wise from looking at the water being expelled from under the car?
But will it be lifted and cleared, or will we just have a tyre spray wall like following a truck on motorways?

Once it was lifted on the old cars, the wake would move it off the line, but without this will it just fall back down or worse, hang in the air?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

SiLo wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 14:11
Wouter wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 13:57

i don't think they change too much between wet and dry setup, usually its more wing and if they are running very low, the might increase the ride height a bit, but the wet tyres usually do that themselves enough anyway.

What will be interesting is seeing if the teams having to run high already suddenly become a lot more competitive when it is wet.
Thanx.
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Big Tea wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 17:15
PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 15:17
KeiKo403 wrote:
But will it be lifted and cleared, or will we just have a tyre spray wall like following a truck on motorways?

Once it was lifted on the old cars, the wake would move it off the line, but without this will it just fall back down or worse, hang in the air?
You got me thinking.... Theortically!! .... The spray might be worse if directly behind. But better if you are to the side since they say the this year the wake is sucked more strongly inward and then upward in more of a rooster tail. So it should hang in the air higher...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Chuckjr

Wow a wet FP1 would make it that much more difficult for teams who are bringing updates to their car. I’m thinking Merc will REALLY want to evaluate their bouncing antidotes and likely Macca who are needing to bring updates ASAP to stay within sight of the pack. With it being a sprint race weekend, that makes things all the more complicated. This will make FP1 very exciting to watch. I’m curious if Merc or Macca can make any step forward this weekend because most of the teams will bring huge updates to Barcelona, and making a jump now would offer an advantage going into Spain — especially re correlation.
Watching F1 since 1986.

InsaneX_Badger

TimW wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 14:21
https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/openchar ... 2204241500

I think ecmwf forecasts are one of the most reliable. A wet weekend seems quite likely.

Interesting if the first practice is very wet. I wonder if anyone will dare to put updates on their car then.
I drive past their headquarters everyday from work and I've been using their forecasts every since I knew about them 😅

erudite450
erudite450

Chuckjr wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 06:55
Wow a wet FP1 would make it that much more difficult for teams who are bringing updates to their car. I’m thinking Merc will REALLY want to evaluate their bouncing antidotes and likely Macca who are needing to bring updates ASAP to stay within sight of the pack. With it being a sprint race weekend, that makes things all the more complicated. This will make FP1 very exciting to watch. I’m curious if Merc or Macca can make any step forward this weekend because most of the teams will bring huge updates to Barcelona, and making a jump now would offer an advantage going into Spain — especially re correlation.
Mercedes are not bringing anything to Imola.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

djos

Nope!
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

I dont think anyone was going into T17 side by side so it's a completely pointless change. If anything they should add another DRS zone from T15 to T17.