2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

Hammerfist wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 00:01
Gillian wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 23:00
NL_Fer wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 22:44
Riccardo was solid with Torro Rosso, Redbull and Renault. Maybe he is just a bad match for the McLaren car?
But that would be a bad match with 2 different McLaren's then though.

Maybe Norris just found another gear last year with Riciardo joining (and he already was pretty fast) and the closed up pack makes the gap between the two look worse.

Verstappen had a lot more race pace than Riciardo when they drove together. So if Norris right now has similiar speed as Verstappen had back then (or better) then the gap between Norris and Riciardo makes sense.

In any case he needs to improve because otherwise he's not staying at McLaren.
If you ditch ricciardo who do you bring in that will do a better job?
Norris seems to be a tier 1 driver so its not going to be easy to find someone to match him. Maybe give Piastri a shot? I would love if they did that.
Sainz did a better job before him.
Some rumors argue about Alonso as a replacement idk how fast he still is.
If I was Seidl-Brown I would go for Bottas/Vettel

Evo2racer
Evo2racer

zeph wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 21:21
To gain one point, Leclerc/Ferrari threw away seven, smh
Once again the entire Ferrari team are cracking under pressure !

One reason more why they won’t win any titles this year…

What a race by the RB team and Max damn they were unbeatable today!

Artur Craft

Rikhart wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 16:49
Really nice race, they might as well just scrap DRS altogether imho. Let's see them really work for those overtakes.
chrisc90 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 21:17
DRS was on for probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the race. Yet there was still only a handful of overtakes. Cant blame DRS not being active for ruining the race. Maybe drivers should actually have to fight to overtake and not rely on DRS. I think we probably saw more overtakes without it than with it.
basti313 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 23:44
I think the race was better without DRS. There were more "attempts". With DRS we either had fly by moves or the DRS train.
chrisc90 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 23:46
Absolutely. I dont think we need DRS in all honesty. The cars can follow well enough with the new regs without having to use DRS to pass.

Even with DRS, there was very little overtakes in the mid field.
What a relief to read those posts after so many ones complaining about the lack of DRS

This track has always been horrible for overtaking. Still, the cars can clearly follow closely(less turbulent air) but the slipstreaming is still strong once you get close enough as you could see on Russell overtake over Magnussen, for instance, which was without DRS.

The race was entertaining, we had some very nice genuine battles. If your idea of a good race is to have phony, pointless, meaningless passing all the time, then that´s exactly my idea of a dull one

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Evo2racer wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 00:19
zeph wrote:
Once again the entire Ferrari team are cracking under pressure !

One reason more why they won’t win any titles this year…

What a race by the RB team and Max damn they were unbeatable today!
Yeah good boy Max is only cracking under a Merc pressure. Seen last year 😉

zeph
zeph

JPower wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 22:09
zeph wrote:
No, it was to gain 3 points(potentially 4). Almost worked too. If he had a decent pitstop P2 was in the cards. They knew Perez would react to him pitting to undercut as well.
Maybe, but I think P2 was a stretch, they just didn’t have RBR’s pace today, for whatever reason.

Playing the armchair expert here, but I think they should have recognized today was about damage limitation and just collecting safe points rather than fireworks, especially with Sainz’ lap one exit.

I understand that is hard though, especially at Imola with all the tifosi there expecting a continuation of their excellent start of the season.

maxxer
maxxer

Artur Craft wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 00:25
Rikhart wrote:
Really nice race, they might as well just scrap DRS altogether imho. Let's see them really work for those overtakes.
chrisc90 wrote:
DRS was on for probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the race. Yet there was still only a handful of overtakes. Cant blame DRS not being active for ruining the race. Maybe drivers should actually have to fight to overtake and not rely on DRS. I think we probably saw more overtakes without it than with it.
basti313 wrote:
I think the race was better without DRS. There were more "attempts". With DRS we either had fly by moves or the DRS train.
chrisc90 wrote:
Absolutely. I dont think we need DRS in all honesty. The cars can follow well enough with the new regs without having to use DRS to pass.

What a relief to read those posts after so many ones complaining about the lack of DRS

This track has always been horrible for overtaking. Still, the cars can clearly follow closely(less turbulent air) but the slipstreaming is still strong once you get close enough as you could see on Russell overtake over Magnussen, for instance, which was without DRS.

The race was entertaining, we had some very nice genuine battles. If your idea of a good race is to have phony, pointless, meaningless passing all the time, then that´s exactly my idea of a dull one
On sky they kept nagging about drs not being available , but welcome to F1 i rather see proper overtaking then this DRS back and forward

Zynerji

Good race. I think we may be a bit spoiled by the sheer amount of excitement from the first 3 races, however.

And I think it is time to make DRS a rear-limited choice for the drivers.

IE: Time to make it unlimited.

JPower
JPower

zeph wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 00:53

Maybe, but I think P2 was a stretch, they just didn’t have RBR’s pace today, for whatever reason.

Playing the armchair expert here, but I think they should have recognized today was about damage limitation and just collecting safe points rather than fireworks, especially with Sainz’ lap one exit.

I understand that is hard though, especially at Imola with all the tifosi there expecting a continuation of their excellent start of the season.
They had enough pace to undercut Perez. Holding him off was a different story. I don't fault them for going for it at all. Charles just dropped the ball.

The damage limitation argument is pure conjecture. If Charles had finished in P3 close to Perez, people would ask why Ferrari didn't try a more radical strategy. If the pit stop was 2.5s and he ended up holding off Perez for P2, the strategist looks like a genius. You rely on the team and driver to execute and neither did.

fritticaldi

DRS was denied for the 1st time in 4GPs on the race Ferrari was starting behind. The officials didnt want Ferrari to take a big lead in the two championships.

PlatinumZealot

Max so far not a foot wrong all season?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dialtone
dialtone

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 04:52
Did he not try 3 times to pass Leclerc in the same spot in Bahrain instead of trying on the 2nd straight?

silver
silver

fritticaldi wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 03:28
DRS was denied for the 1st time in 4GPs on the race Ferrari was starting behind. The officials didnt want Ferrari to take a big lead in the two championships.
You didn't hear what Sainz said when asked about it. He said, FIA has to manage the risk vs reward and last year there was a massive crash when the track was wet and considering that, they played it safe. He also said, while the track was drying, the white line was still wet.

lh13
lh13

dialtone wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Did he not try 3 times to pass Leclerc in the same spot in Bahrain instead of trying on the 2nd straight?
Failing to overtake someone is your definition of 'foot wrong'? Laughable if that's the case.

Mogster

Artur Craft wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 00:25
Rikhart wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
basti313 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

The early overtakes without DRS were on a wet/damp track. If anything this event emphasized why DRS is still needed.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Bottled the qualy at Jeddah but apart from that he's maximizing the potential of the car contrary to the Ferrari boys