2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

Anyone else think that Sky need to expand their coverage of the cars in the race? I think we had about 20 laps of them following one car and commentary.

Aesop

dialtone wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 05:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 04:52
Max so far not a foot wrong all season?
Did he not try 3 times to pass Leclerc in the same spot in Bahrain instead of trying on the 2nd straight?
He said he didn't have the traction to even try a pass on the seconde straight.

Leclercs spin yesterday was his second pointcosting fault this year. He arguably could have won Jeddah had he had a normal free practice to learn about tyredeg.

atanatizante

ALB was the fastest of all drivers in the speed trap, due to the low DF setup that Williams had to choose for this race but most of all the new rear wing which was the main reason why he couldn`t be overtaken by GAS and HAM.

Then, for those who have F1 TV Pro, just watch how good and settled is the RB18 car over these higher kerbs, particularly on those of Variante Alta, which fuels the rumours saying that RB had developed a passive kind of active suspension given them both the optimum ride height and a smoothly run over the kerbs ...

LEC, when was chasing down PER for the second place saw how goog RB runs over the kerbs, then took a risk and the outcome was that he just was airborne with the car, but certainly, his and other teams will pay close attention to the RB18` suspension now, for sure ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

sunny1304r

Last edited by sunny1304r on 25 Apr 2022, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

Thank you, but the link doesn't work. I read it yesterday and I think you mean this article:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russe ... /10183028/
The Power of Dreams!

silver

chrisc90 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 09:39
Anyone else think that Sky need to expand their coverage of the cars in the race? I think we had about 20 laps of them following one car and commentary.
There is something wrong indeed! I don't understand how the race director forgets the protagonists and cover a back of the field battle MORE.

There is a meme on that!
Last edited by silver on 25 Apr 2022, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

JPBD1990

I’ve noticed that they’re following the wrong cars in quali too. Not sky’s fault obviously, it’s the world feed…

But it seems like they’re obsessed with Mercedes fall from grace. We’ll follow lewis’ quali lap for P13 while Ferraris and redbulls are literally on hot laps. I want to see those going for pole thanks, not the Mercedes. We’ll see them again I’m sure, but for now it’s time to move on and SHOW THE ACTUAL ACTION

Juzh

atanatizante wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 10:17
https://postimages.org/

ALB was the fastest of all drivers in the speed trap, due to the low DF setup that Williams had to choose for this race but most of all the new rear wing which was the main reason why he couldn`t be overtaken by GAS and HAM.

Then, for those who have F1 TV Pro, just watch how good and settled is the RB18 car over these higher kerbs, particularly on those of Variante Alta, which fuels the rumours saying that RB had developed a passive kind of active suspension given them both the optimum ride height and a smoothly run over the kerbs ...

LEC, when was chasing down PER for the second place saw how goog RB runs over the kerbs, then took a risk and the outcome was that he just was airborne with the car, but certainly, his and other teams will pay close attention to the RB18` suspension now, for sure ...
We weren't watching the same lerclerc onboard then. Leclerc was on a completely different level in Variante Alta. He would gain like 0.5s in there by braking super late and then jumping over those kerbs. Perez in comparison was snail slow, like standing still. He wouldn't dare touching those kerbs while it was partially damp still and had very low confidence on brakes.
Some examples of leclerc gaining bus lengths on various tyres:

again. what even is this, like 1 second gained?

and again. against any other car this would be a slam dunk overtake down the main straight even without drs, but perez gets saved by red bulls op straight line performance.

There's loads of other examples, but you get the point.

As for speed traps. Hamilton actually had the highest speed of anyone at 340 kmh, it's just that speed trap is positioned in a very weird position on this track and not in place where it makes most sense at the end of start/finish straight.

organic

Juzh wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:28
atanatizante wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 10:17
https://postimages.org/

We weren't watching the same lerclerc onboard then. Leclerc was on a completely different level in Variante Alta. He would gain like 0.5s in there by braking super late and then jumping over those kerbs. Perez in comparison was snail slow, like standing still. He wouldn't dare touching those kerbs while it was partially damp still and had very low confidence on brakes.
Some examples of leclerc gaining bus lengths on various tyres:

again. what even is this, like 1 second gained?

and again. against any other car this would be a slam dunk overtake down the main straight even without drs, but perez gets saved by red bulls op straight line performance.

There's loads of other examples, but you get the point.

As for speed traps. Hamilton actually had the highest speed of anyone at 340 kmh, it's just that speed trap is positioned in a very weird position on this track and not in place where it makes most sense at the end of start/finish straight.
Perez said the RB18 was just as quick as Ferrari through the chicane but he preferred not to take any risk at all there whereas Charles was pushing hard. He said this in post-race press conference.

Every time Charles closed up when Perez had a wobble, Perez immediately pulled a gap to him again and then managed the gap whilst taking no risk at the chicane. Just the rb18 having superior pace this weekend even with Leclerc taking maximum risk at the chicane
Last edited by organic on 25 Apr 2022, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

Charles taking more risk, worked a few times but when Perez made a mistake Charles closed right up. Perez soon pulled the time back up to 1.5 seconds within a couple laps.

Unfortunately for Charles, the risk didn’t fully pay off and almost cost him any points at all

Juzh

organic wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:35

Perez said the RB18 was just as quick as Ferrari through the chicane but he preferred not to take any risk at all there whereas Charles was pushing hard. He said this in post-race press conference.

Every time Charles closed up when Perez had a wobble, Perez immediately pulled a gap to him again and then managed the gap whilst taking no risk at the chicane. Just the rb18 having superior pace this weekend even with Leclerc taking maximum risk at the chicane
I've seen the presser. I'm not sure how perez can say with any kind of truthfulness cars were similar there, because as can bee seen quite clearly they were miles apart. No way would he give leclerc so much time willingly if the car was just as good as ferrari in that corner. There's a drs zone detection point just after and taking it easy trough chicane is asking to be overtaken.

TNTHead

Wouter wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:29
Thank you, but the link doesn't work. I read it yesterday and I think you mean this article:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russe ... /10183028/
I wonder whether F1 teams need to comply with any physical labor limits, like whole body vibrations limits. I have done quite some surveys in crane cabines where they needed to comply on the limits in for instance ISO 2631-1. Any vibration above 1 m/s2 between 4-10 Hz is unwanted for health.

basti313

JPBD1990 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:58
I’ve noticed that they’re following the wrong cars in quali too. Not sky’s fault obviously, it’s the world feed…

But it seems like they’re obsessed with Mercedes fall from grace. We’ll follow lewis’ quali lap for P13 while Ferraris and redbulls are literally on hot laps. I want to see those going for pole thanks, not the Mercedes. We’ll see them again I’m sure, but for now it’s time to move on and SHOW THE ACTUAL ACTION
Yes, the world feed was horrible, never seen it that bad...
They basically every time cut away from any action. You could see it on the timing which battles they are not showing. Once someone came into DRS like the overtakes on Vet or what Lec did later, you could bet that they show again Hamilton.

I mean...it is ok to not show Verstappen, except for some orange guys no one wants to see him anyways. But that the fight Perez vs. Leclerc was mostly not shown and it took long to even show Charles in the wall is a bit strange.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Zynerji

JPBD1990 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:58

I've watched all 4 races on F1TV this season. And in every race Will and Jolyon make comments during the broadcast of "wrong car" or "not the car we should be watching right now".

Just giving them the software button to pick what cars to focus on could go a long way towards better coverage.

Wouter

basti313 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 13:26
I mean...it is ok to not show Verstappen, except for some orange guys no one wants to see him anyways.
Is that so?
The Power of Dreams!