2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313

Re: 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

Wouter wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 14:04
basti313 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 13:26
I mean...it is ok to not show Verstappen, except for some orange guys no one wants to see him anyways.
Is that so?
=P~

Sorry, I just love to play the fiddle on twisted nerves of Ham and Ver fans...my bad... :twisted:
Don`t russel the hamster!

Big Tea

Hammerfist wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 00:01
Gillian wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 23:00
NL_Fer wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 22:44
Riccardo was solid with Torro Rosso, Redbull and Renault. Maybe he is just a bad match for the McLaren car?
But that would be a bad match with 2 different McLaren's then though.

Maybe Norris just found another gear last year with Riciardo joining (and he already was pretty fast) and the closed up pack makes the gap between the two look worse.

Verstappen had a lot more race pace than Riciardo when they drove together. So if Norris right now has similiar speed as Verstappen had back then (or better) then the gap between Norris and Riciardo makes sense.

In any case he needs to improve because otherwise he's not staying at McLaren.
If you ditch ricciardo who do you bring in that will do a better job?
Norris seems to be a tier 1 driver so its not going to be easy to find someone to match him. Maybe give Piastri a shot? I would love if they did that.
I wonder if Bottas would fancy the job?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dialtone

lh13 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 09:25
dialtone wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 04:52
Max so far not a foot wrong all season?
Did he not try 3 times to pass Leclerc in the same spot in Bahrain instead of trying on the 2nd straight?
Failing to overtake someone is your definition of 'foot wrong'? Laughable if that's the case.
well, it is. If 3 times you get baited to give up DRS in the second straight, yeah that's a foot wrong. is it only when Charles does it?

dialtone

Juzh wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:28
atanatizante wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 10:17
https://postimages.org/

ALB was the fastest of all drivers in the speed trap, due to the low DF setup that Williams had to choose for this race but most of all the new rear wing which was the main reason why he couldn`t be overtaken by GAS and HAM.

Then, for those who have F1 TV Pro, just watch how good and settled is the RB18 car over these higher kerbs, particularly on those of Variante Alta, which fuels the rumours saying that RB had developed a passive kind of active suspension given them both the optimum ride height and a smoothly run over the kerbs ...

LEC, when was chasing down PER for the second place saw how goog RB runs over the kerbs, then took a risk and the outcome was that he just was airborne with the car, but certainly, his and other teams will pay close attention to the RB18` suspension now, for sure ...
We weren't watching the same lerclerc onboard then. Leclerc was on a completely different level in Variante Alta. He would gain like 0.5s in there by braking super late and then jumping over those kerbs. Perez in comparison was snail slow, like standing still. He wouldn't dare touching those kerbs while it was partially damp still and had very low confidence on brakes.
Some examples of leclerc gaining bus lengths on various tyres:

again. what even is this, like 1 second gained?

and again. against any other car this would be a slam dunk overtake down the main straight even without drs, but perez gets saved by red bulls op straight line performance.

There's loads of other examples, but you get the point.

As for speed traps. Hamilton actually had the highest speed of anyone at 340 kmh, it's just that speed trap is positioned in a very weird position on this track and not in place where it makes most sense at the end of start/finish straight.
You can really see the superior braking from RBR in tamburello in the last video of yours, I don't think it's any top speed advantage. In the sprint race VER had DRS on multiple laps but unless he was within 0.8 seconds after rivazza 2 he always was too far from LEC to even seem like a pass opportunity before tamburello, and even then he needed full graining in LEC's tyres to maximize the exit from rivazza 2 against him. In multiple laps you can see LEC having to limit his top speed in the main straight too, and it's a self-imposed limit often because top speed at the end of the race is the same (1.8kph between VER and LEC, both sub 300kph so both engines are capable of more, even on high downforce).

Sieper

dialtone wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 16:28
lh13 wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Did he not try 3 times to pass Leclerc in the same spot in Bahrain instead of trying on the 2nd straight?
Failing to overtake someone is your definition of 'foot wrong'? Laughable if that's the case.
well, it is. If 3 times you get baited to give up DRS in the second straight, yeah that's a foot wrong. is it only when Charles does it?
We don’t know why he overtook there in Bahrain. He took Hamilton early too in AD last race last year. I agree it didn’t look like the perfect opportunity, perhaps a point where he can improve, or perhaps this was the best option, we simply don’t know for sure what the reasoning was. But how can that be compared to spinning into the wall.

dialtone

Sieper wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 17:02
dialtone wrote:
lh13 wrote:
We don’t know why he overtook there in Bahrain. He took Hamilton early too in AD last race last year. I agree it didn’t look like the perfect opportunity, perhaps a point where he can improve, or perhaps this was the best option, we simply don’t know for sure what the reasoning was. But how can that be compared to spinning into the wall.
I'm not saying they are the same thing, obviously spinning against the wall is much much worse. I'm just responding to the first comment saying that Max never had a foot wrong after 4 races, and I don't think he was perfect through 4. This is also the only mistake by Charles so far, certainly caused by having a slightly inferior car and taking risks to try and gain a spot to 2nd on Perez (he said so). Anyway... As it was premature to say Ferrari was walking away with the WCC and WDC after 3 races, it's premature to say that Charles can't be trusted and is back to making stupid mistakes or somesuch.

basti313

Sieper wrote:
dialtone wrote:
lh13 wrote:
As said before, Hamilton was at least on television on Sunday, barely saw Ver, so no idea if he even drove a good race or was bad like usually.

But I am surprised about this early move discussion. I think it is borderline stupid. We saw in Bahrain, that in any case Lec was just flying through the first corners and Ver lost a lot of time in these corners. If he was behind, there was no way to attack in the second DRS zone, no idea why everyone keeps talking about this.
Same goes for Abu last year. I strongly doubt that there would have been a good chance to attack Ham on the two straights in a way that Ver wins a car length into the braking zone just because the Merc was turned up to the limit. Ham would have simply defended the inside and would have send Ver wide just like Ver did in the first lap. I mean...just look at the bad corner Ham had and still he went alongside with heavy weaving of Ver. That Merc was ballistic on these straights, the early move was the decider.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SmallSoldier

GrizzleBoy wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 23:57
I think it will be interesting to see once these new regs mature a little towards the end of this year if things don't just end up settling into the same pattern as before.

As in, once the teams figure out their cars and the pecking order becomes settled due to less variables like unreliability, experimentation, lack of setup understanding etc, I wonder if the only difference will be cars stuck in position but closer together.

For example, if this race was not a sprint weekend and the teams had more time tobsetup their cars properly, isn't it likely we would have seen far less overtaking than the already minimal amount that we saw.
To be fair, that’s the nature of Motorsports… The faster cars qualify higher up the grid, therefore it will be hard for slower cars to make an overtake attempt… The overtakes happen when fast cars are outside of position.

What the rules hopefully bring is convergence between the teams and a reduction on the gaps, with an smaller gap between fast cars and slow cars, there should be more overtaking / on track action.

fourmula1

Dumb idea: constructors get to pick their starting grid position for the first race, they get to choose in order of previous years constructors championship, after that you drop one position until every car starts one race in every grid position. yikes.

chrisc90

When was the last time LH got lapped during a race?

Michelangelo

chrisc90 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 18:18
Mexico 2017, I guess.

Stu

chrisc90 wrote:
Imola last year?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

zeph

JPower wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 03:08
The damage limitation argument is pure conjecture.
As opposed to your argument which is 100% fact? Got it.

Sieper

basti313 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 17:12
Sieper wrote:
dialtone wrote:

As said before, Hamilton was at least on television on Sunday, barely saw Ver, so no idea if he even drove a good race or was bad like usually.

But I am surprised about this early move discussion. I think it is borderline stupid. We saw in Bahrain, that in any case Lec was just flying through the first corners and Ver lost a lot of time in these corners. If he was behind, there was no way to attack in the second DRS zone, no idea why everyone keeps talking about this.
Same goes for Abu last year. I strongly doubt that there would have been a good chance to attack Ham on the two straights in a way that Ver wins a car length into the braking zone just because the Merc was turned up to the limit. Ham would have simply defended the inside and would have send Ver wide just like Ver did in the first lap. I mean...just look at the bad corner Ham had and still he went alongside with heavy weaving of Ver. That Merc was ballistic on these straights, the early move was the decider.
Certainly was there. And it wasn’t a foregone conclusion otherwise. This is off-topic but just to illustrate that we can’t always know what the reasoning behind attacking is. Calling it a setting wrong foot is quite heavy. Then loosing 2 places at race start is certainly also a wrong step and then Charles made 2 in one race alone.

Sieper

Stu wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 19:12
chrisc90 wrote:
Imola last year?
A little know tidbit, but indeed true. For wholly other reasons though.