2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
lh13

Re: 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, April 22 - 24

dialtone wrote:
lh13 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 09:25
dialtone wrote: Did he not try 3 times to pass Leclerc in the same spot in Bahrain instead of trying on the 2nd straight?
Failing to overtake someone is your definition of 'foot wrong'? Laughable if that's the case.
well, it is. If 3 times you get baited to give up DRS in the second straight, yeah that's a foot wrong. is it only when Charles does it?
Well here's a bit of explanation for you, and I'm sure it is not going to change your mind.

The reason Max was getting overtaken before turn 4 was because he was taking a compromised line through 1-2. If he stayed behind Charles, then Charles takes perfect line through 1-2, and carries more speed on the straight. That straight is not long enough to overtake for cars with similar pace, even with DRS, especially once defender takes inside line. 2 times out of 3, Charles 'barely' overtook Max who was running a compromised line, so it is safe to assume there was no way Max was going to overtake Charles there unless Charles compromised his exit out of 2, which he wasn't going to do as he was not defending at all into 1.

And you should have known, Charles was carrying 10-15 kph less into turn 1, due to different deployment settings?!. Max would have had to go even slower to keep himself behind Charles, which isn't an easy thing to do/judge when you're driving flat out, and can disturb the rhythm of the driver behind the wheel. He took his chances when he could, its simple as that.

Edax

Hammerfist wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 00:01
Gillian wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 23:00
NL_Fer wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 22:44
Riccardo was solid with Torro Rosso, Redbull and Renault. Maybe he is just a bad match for the McLaren car?
But that would be a bad match with 2 different McLaren's then though.

Maybe Norris just found another gear last year with Riciardo joining (and he already was pretty fast) and the closed up pack makes the gap between the two look worse.

Verstappen had a lot more race pace than Riciardo when they drove together. So if Norris right now has similiar speed as Verstappen had back then (or better) then the gap between Norris and Riciardo makes sense.

In any case he needs to improve because otherwise he's not staying at McLaren.
If you ditch ricciardo who do you bring in that will do a better job?
Norris seems to be a tier 1 driver so its not going to be easy to find someone to match him. Maybe give Piastri a shot? I would love if they did that.
It is not only about doing a better job on track.

The main question is what is he bringing to the team? He is one of the best payed drivers on the grid. I guess Mclaren paid him that much because they expected results and a solid contribution to the development of the car as well as to the team. But it looks from the outside as if Norris is pulling the team, while Ricciardo is desperately trying to figure out the car, and looking for his mojo. And if Netfix is to be believed there is no chemistry between the drivers.

If that picture is even remotely correct then it becomes rapidly appealing to take a chance on the future (eg Piastri) or on someone who can deliver similar results for a lot less money (eg Albon).

dialtone

lh13 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 21:07
dialtone wrote:
lh13 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 09:25
Failing to overtake someone is your definition of 'foot wrong'? Laughable if that's the case.
well, it is. If 3 times you get baited to give up DRS in the second straight, yeah that's a foot wrong. is it only when Charles does it?
Well here's a bit of explanation for you, and I'm sure it is not going to change your mind.

The reason Max was getting overtaken before turn 4 was because he was taking a compromised line through 1-2. If he stayed behind Charles, then Charles takes perfect line through 1-2, and carries more speed on the straight. That straight is not long enough to overtake for cars with similar pace, even with DRS, especially once defender takes inside line. 2 times out of 3, Charles 'barely' overtook Max who was running a compromised line, so it is safe to assume there was no way Max was going to overtake Charles there unless Charles compromised his exit out of 2, which he wasn't going to do as he was not defending at all into 1.

And you should have known, Charles was carrying 10-15 kph less into turn 1, due to different deployment settings?!. Max would have had to go even slower to keep himself behind Charles, which isn't an easy thing to do/judge when you're driving flat out, and can disturb the rhythm of the driver behind the wheel. He took his chances when he could, its simple as that.
Oh boy, where do I even begin... During the passing Charles wasn't carrying 10-15kph less but 30+ kph less, Charles was skimming speed to below 285kph, while Max was well over 310kph using DRS. It's widely known, even by Driver61, that Leclerc was in fact braking to have DRS before T1 and into the second straight, like he did in Jeddah the following race (where it also worked the first time he did it there). I even showed the telemetry for this in the race thread after the race.

The DRS detection game was a matter of few meters, Max just needed to brake a bit more instead of lounging like he did every single time until he locked his wheels, but he wasn't expecting Leclerc to play like that, he didn't even expect Leclerc to play that way in Jeddah the first time Charles did it, although there he sure learned it for the following 2 times though, even closing his DRS before the detection to avoid passing Charles and giving him DRS back.

Max's point wasn't not to pass in T1, he should have passed in T1 but he absolutely needed to avoid Charles getting DRS for the 2nd straight. I also like how that straight is not long enough to overtake, even with DRS but Charles did it 2 times haha :) and "barely" you say, both times clearly ahead before the corner.

Deployment settings haha :). It's called racecraft and Max didn't have a good showing in Bahrain, but he's not going to make those mistakes again because he's strong.

langedweil

Stu wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 19:12
chrisc90 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 18:18
When was the last time LH got lapped during a race?
Imola last year?
True that ..
HuggaWugga !

lh13

dialtone wrote:
lh13 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 21:07
dialtone wrote:

Oh boy, where do I even begin... During the passing Charles wasn't carrying 10-15kph less but 30+ kph less, Charles was skimming speed to below 285kph, while Max was well over 310kph using DRS. It's widely known, even by Driver61, that Leclerc was in fact braking to have DRS before T1 and into the second straight, like he did in Jeddah the following race (where it also worked the first time he did it there). I even showed the telemetry for this in the race thread after the race.

The DRS detection game was a matter of few meters, Max just needed to brake a bit more instead of lounging like he did every single time until he locked his wheels, but he wasn't expecting Leclerc to play like that, he didn't even expect Leclerc to play that way in Jeddah the first time Charles did it, although there he sure learned it for the following 2 times though, even closing his DRS before the detection to avoid passing Charles and giving him DRS back.

Max's point wasn't not to pass in T1, he should have passed in T1 but he absolutely needed to avoid Charles getting DRS for the 2nd straight. I also like how that straight is not long enough to overtake, even with DRS but Charles did it 2 times haha :) and "barely" you say, both times clearly ahead before the corner.

Deployment settings haha :). It's called racecraft and Max didn't have a good showing in Bahrain, but he's not going to make those mistakes again because he's strong.
I already said its not going to change your mind. You've also ignored that Max was overtaken because of compromised line taken through turn 1-2. If Charles doesn't compromise his line, he's not getting overtaken. Your definition of 'putting a foot wrong' is still laughable. I'm laughing and moving on. Thanks for writing all that and saying basically nothing.
Last edited by lh13 on 26 Apr 2022, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone

lh13 wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 06:09
I already said its not going to change your mind. Your definition of 'putting a foot wrong' is still laughable.
You provided your "facts" but it would be nice to recognize that you had bad memory and maybe try a different way, maybe using how events actually unfolded :).

And yeah, will be tough not to say that he put down his foot wrong when the whole world was impressed at how he fell for the same trick 3 times in a row. Wouldn't have changed much in the end since he DNFd.

lh13

dialtone wrote:
lh13 wrote:
I already said its not going to change your mind. Your definition of 'putting a foot wrong' is still laughable.
You provided your "facts" but it would be nice to recognize that you had bad memory and maybe try a different way, maybe using how events actually unfolded :).

And yeah, will be tough not to say that he put down his foot wrong when the whole world was impressed at how he fell for the same trick 3 times in a row. Wouldn't have changed much in the end since he DNFd.
You don't know why he didn't try into 4. There was some conversation with him engineer about this on the radio, maybe you should check that out.

And I was not explaining how the events unfolded. Just trying to summarize, and mostly got it right.

dialtone

lh13 wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 06:15
dialtone wrote:
lh13 wrote:

You don't know why he didn't try into 4. There was some conversation with him engineer about this on the radio, maybe you should check that out.

And I was not explaining how the events unfolded. Just trying to summarize, and mostly got it right.
As I said the attempt on 4 is irrelevant, he simply should have avoided giving DRS to Charles before T1 by braking a bit instead of blasting +30kph to pass him 3 times in a row lmao.

EDIT: anyway... this is the wrong race thread to discuss this so we should probably give it a rest.

CHT
CHT

Just wondering if F1 drivers are being taught to survive gravel traps.

lh13

dialtone wrote:
lh13 wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 06:15
dialtone wrote: You provided your "facts" but it would be nice to recognize that you had bad memory and maybe try a different way, maybe using how events actually unfolded :).

As I said the attempt on 4 is irrelevant, he simply should have avoided giving DRS to Charles before T1 by braking a bit instead of blasting +30kph to pass him 3 times in a row lmao.

EDIT: anyway... this is the wrong race thread to discuss this so we should probably give it a rest.
Yes, give it a rest because what you're saying is irrelevant to how this discussion started. This is what you wrote:

"Did he not try 3 times to pass Leclerc in the same spot in Bahrain instead of trying on the 2nd straight?"

You said Verstappen put a foot wrong by passing into 1 and not into 4. No mention of 'just avoid giving DRS to Leclerc'. You've conveniently moved away from the point of discuss. I'll stop now.

Andres125sx

Juzh wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 13:05
organic wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:35

Perez said the RB18 was just as quick as Ferrari through the chicane but he preferred not to take any risk at all there whereas Charles was pushing hard. He said this in post-race press conference.

Every time Charles closed up when Perez had a wobble, Perez immediately pulled a gap to him again and then managed the gap whilst taking no risk at the chicane. Just the rb18 having superior pace this weekend even with Leclerc taking maximum risk at the chicane
I've seen the presser. I'm not sure how perez can say with any kind of truthfulness cars were similar there, because as can bee seen quite clearly they were miles apart. No way would he give leclerc so much time willingly if the car was just as good as ferrari in that corner. There's a drs zone detection point just after and taking it easy trough chicane is asking to be overtaken.
That might be true, but reality proved the opposite. It might even be Perez placing the carrot in front of Charles, wich proved to be very effective :wink:

DChemTech

Zynerji wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 13:31
JPBD1990 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:58
I’ve noticed that they’re following the wrong cars in quali too. Not sky’s fault obviously, it’s the world feed…

But it seems like they’re obsessed with Mercedes fall from grace. We’ll follow lewis’ quali lap for P13 while Ferraris and redbulls are literally on hot laps. I want to see those going for pole thanks, not the Mercedes. We’ll see them again I’m sure, but for now it’s time to move on and SHOW THE ACTUAL ACTION

I've watched all 4 races on F1TV this season. And in every race Will and Jolyon make comments during the broadcast of "wrong car" or "not the car we should be watching right now".

Just giving them the software button to pick what cars to focus on could go a long way towards better coverage.
That would be great, but at the moment the video stream is being directed globally, so all channels airing F1 just have to show what they get. There is something to say for that, in terms of homogenizing sponsorship exposure, but also in terms of deciding whether or not to replay incidents (e.g. avoid sensationalist coverage of incidents with potential injury). In essence, the central coverage needs to be improved - if I recall correctly, at the moment the coverage is directed by different individuals in different countries. It may be good to have a single video team (like it may be a good idea to have a consistent team of stewards).

Other than that, I suppose one could provide TV stations with the same capacity as F1-pro viewers, in the sense of following specific cars on board if they think that is more interesting than whatever the main video stream is showing.

Zynerji

DChemTech wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 11:25
Zynerji wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 13:31
JPBD1990 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:58
I’ve noticed that they’re following the wrong cars in quali too. Not sky’s fault obviously, it’s the world feed…

But it seems like they’re obsessed with Mercedes fall from grace. We’ll follow lewis’ quali lap for P13 while Ferraris and redbulls are literally on hot laps. I want to see those going for pole thanks, not the Mercedes. We’ll see them again I’m sure, but for now it’s time to move on and SHOW THE ACTUAL ACTION

I've watched all 4 races on F1TV this season. And in every race Will and Jolyon make comments during the broadcast of "wrong car" or "not the car we should be watching right now".

Just giving them the software button to pick what cars to focus on could go a long way towards better coverage.
That would be great, but at the moment the video stream is being directed globally, so all channels airing F1 just have to show what they get. There is something to say for that, in terms of homogenizing sponsorship exposure, but also in terms of deciding whether or not to replay incidents (e.g. avoid sensationalist coverage of incidents with potential injury). In essence, the central coverage needs to be improved - if I recall correctly, at the moment the coverage is directed by different individuals in different countries. It may be good to have a single video team (like it may be a good idea to have a consistent team of stewards).

Other than that, I suppose one could provide TV stations with the same capacity as F1-pro viewers, in the sense of following specific cars on board if they think that is more interesting than whatever the main video stream is showing.
Maybe the AWS sponsor can build an AI director, based upon deltas, that would catch all of the action?

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

chrisc90

Got to love Max's humour.