Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Redragon

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 07:49
langedweil wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 03:37
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:11

It wouldn’t be much different than what is happening today, with the caveat that Piastri will cost way less than Daniel, not much lost for McLaren if that’s the case.
Well, the first year he'll be more expensive than Ricc by itself, as it's the buyout + salary ?
A lot of assumptions made in regards to the amount of the buyout, which would depend on the clauses in his contract (performance clauses), in addition, if Daniel has another ride, McLaren won’t be paying the full amount (or potentially any amount at all)… If McLaren pays Daniel his full salary, they could make him seat the 2023 season and I don’t think Daniel would like that.

So, most probably a reduction of cost for McLaren for the second seat
I think that's the normal scenario but if Riccardo didn't know until this week and doesn't have other team or plan. He is the one with leverage. He can accept the pay out and he is free without team and then negotiate from there another contract salary on top of the pay out. Or he is forcing Mclaren to stay 1 year more by not accepting the pay out and have time to search for other team.

The reason probably is not made public yet is because Mclaren is looking for a team or solution for him which would be the one softing the pay out. Now would that team and project be convincing for Riccardo to accept? that's the pickle that Mclaren is in and Piastri tweet clarification have created. Because if Piastri move wasn't public convincing him to go other team or project would have been easier.

Redragon

I got a feeling that despite Gasly been already announced as Alpha Tauri. That Gasly finish on Alpine, Riccardo takes his seat at Alpha Tauri with the hope to replace Perez at some point and be back into Redbull while he helps with his experience the Redbull youth or next generation.

Because Alpha romeo probably continues with Zhou after this interview saying he is happy leaving Alpine family https://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/20 ... b4581.html

So Riccardo has two options Alpha Tauri or Alpine and i don't see him going back

djos

Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 12:43
I got a feeling that despite Gasly been already announced as Alpha Tauri. That Gasly finish on Alpine, Riccardo takes his seat at Alpha Tauri with the hope to replace Perez at some point and be back into Redbull while he helps with his experience the Redbull youth or next generation.

Because Alpha romeo probably continues with Zhou after this interview saying he is happy leaving Alpine family https://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/20 ... b4581.html

So Riccardo has two options Alpha Tauri or Alpine and i don't see him going back
Marko has it in for Daniel for leaving RBR, he won’t be given any RedBull seat imo.
"In downforce we trust"

taperoo2k

djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 12:51
Redragon wrote:

Marko has it in for Daniel for leaving RBR, he won’t be given any RedBull seat imo.
Alpine looks like the most likely option for Riccardo at this point in time. Never say never in F1 though, I doubt
anyone ever expected to see Alonso back at McLaren. However I expect if the Red Bull Porsche deal happens, they'll want somebody as talented and consistent as Verstappen in the second seat. Which either means Norris or Piastri (if he lives upto the hype). If McLaren want to keep Norris and Piastri they'll have to deliver a car capable of challenging for wins by then.

Big Tea

Redragon wrote:

Should we rule out Dan going to USA?
He is not going to do Formula E.
He could possibly consider tin-tops, but I can not really see it unless there is something else involved.
Not much else left, unless he fancies sailing?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier

Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 12:34
SmallSoldier wrote:
langedweil wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 03:37

Well, the first year he'll be more expensive than Ricc by itself, as it's the buyout + salary ?
A lot of assumptions made in regards to the amount of the buyout, which would depend on the clauses in his contract (performance clauses), in addition, if Daniel has another ride, McLaren won’t be paying the full amount (or potentially any amount at all)… If McLaren pays Daniel his full salary, they could make him seat the 2023 season and I don’t think Daniel would like that.

I think that's the normal scenario but if Riccardo didn't know until this week and doesn't have other team or plan. He is the one with leverage. He can accept the pay out and he is free without team and then negotiate from there another contract salary on top of the pay out. Or he is forcing Mclaren to stay 1 year more by not accepting the pay out and have time to search for other team.

The reason probably is not made public yet is because Mclaren is looking for a team or solution for him which would be the one softing the pay out. Now would that team and project be convincing for Riccardo to accept? that's the pickle that Mclaren is in and Piastri tweet clarification have created. Because if Piastri move wasn't public convincing him to go other team or project would have been easier.
This could definitely play in different ways, I understand that everyone assumes that Daniel has all the control over the contract situation and I’m no so sure about it… We can speculate how it will play out in 10 different ways and the 10 would have the same probability of been right.

The one thing that would be very surprising to me is Ricciardo not knowing… Forget about the comments from Zak at Monaco or the fact that McLaren hired Palou, when your performance isn’t there, when you aren’t delivering, you know that the axe may be falling soon… I don’t think that he is either that naive or oblivious to not realize that McLaren had to be thinking about replacing him and that they were going to, the writing was on the wall.

Mogster

Big Tea wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 15:10
Redragon wrote:

Should we rule out Dan going to USA?
He is not going to do Formula E.
He could possibly consider tin-tops, but I can not really see it unless there is something else involved.
Not much else left, unless he fancies sailing?
I genuinely think Ric should consider Indycar he does seem to like the US. The series would love to have him, he’d be treated like a god…

LHamilton

Just a few minutes ago Theo Pourchaire did tweet out "Certified" (with two praying hands as well), before quickly removing it from twitter. Could that mean that he has gotten his super license? Fairly sure Pourchaire is eligable to get one, but perhaps just hasn't put "pen to paper" so to speak (before now), since he is still driving in F2.

Maybe the Silly season has reached Pourchaire and a possbility of either going to Alpine, or (more likely) Alfa Romeo taking the option of getting him into the second seat next year.

Or maybe it's just something else.

EDIT: https://ibb.co/wLWGt4h. Picture of the tweet. I used my very prolific "print-paint-upload" skills.

Jolle

My guess is that Ricciardo stays at McLaren next to Norris next year, like his contact states and Piastri has a test/reserve role there coming season with a seat in 2024.

mendis

Jolle wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 17:36
My guess is that Ricciardo stays at McLaren next to Norris next year, like his contact states and Piastri has a test/reserve role there coming season with a seat in 2024.
It would be a disaster for Piastri if Ricciardo picks up form in 2023 and forces McLaren to renew his contract!

Jolle

mendis wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 17:40
Jolle wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 17:36
It would be a disaster for Piastri if Ricciardo picks up form in 2023 and forces McLaren to renew his contract!
Or for McLaren if Piastri already has a contract that makes him a driver for the 2024 season.

Mogster

LHamilton wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 17:01
Just a few minutes ago Theo Pourchaire did tweet out "Certified" (with two praying hands as well), before quickly removing it from twitter. Could that mean that he has gotten his super license? Fairly sure Pourchaire is eligable to get one, but perhaps just hasn't put "pen to paper" so to speak (before now), since he is still driving in F2.

Maybe the Silly season has reached Pourchaire and a possbility of either going to Alpine, or (more likely) Alfa Romeo taking the option of getting him into the second seat next year.

Or maybe it's just something else.

EDIT: https://ibb.co/wLWGt4h. Picture of the tweet. I used my very prolific "print-paint-upload" skills.
1st in ADAC F4, 2nd in FIA F3, 5th in FIA F2 would seem to give Pourchaire 40+ SL points.

Redragon

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 15:12
Redragon wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

This could definitely play in different ways, I understand that everyone assumes that Daniel has all the control over the contract situation and I’m no so sure about it… We can speculate how it will play out in 10 different ways and the 10 would have the same probability of been right.

The one thing that would be very surprising to me is Ricciardo not knowing… Forget about the comments from Zak at Monaco or the fact that McLaren hired Palou, when your performance isn’t there, when you aren’t delivering, you know that the axe may be falling soon… I don’t think that he is either that naive or oblivious to not realize that McLaren had to be thinking about replacing him and that they were going to, the writing was on the wall.
Yes but he has a signed contract independently of his performance with a section that agrees to be replaced paying certain amount of money. If Riccardo wasn't in control Mclaren would have be made it already public

SmallSoldier

Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:34
SmallSoldier wrote:
Redragon wrote:

Yes but he has a signed contract independently of his performance with a section that agrees to be replaced paying certain amount of money. If Riccardo wasn't in control Mclaren would have be made it already public
Does he? Have you read the contract? If you have, can you share?… Or are we just repeating the speculation from “journalists”?… It has been repeated so many times that now it’s taken as fact? (It’s not different that the deadline for Piastri, which apparently wasn’t the reason why he was able to sign for McLaren).

McLaren isn’t making a public quote because they are still working with Ricciardo on how to manage the separation, also to avoid further speculation until all the pieces have fall in place and agreements reached… The only reason why we are all aware of the situation is because of Alonso, if he wouldn’t have signed for Aston Martin and Alpine wouldn’t have jumped the gun and announced Piastri as their driver, all of these would have happened behind the scenes.

Also, it is in McLaren’s best interest to have Daniel find a seat in another Team… Making statements about Ricciardo at this point would be counterproductive, for both McLaren and Ricciardo… They are managing the best way possible.

Redragon

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 21:38
Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:34
SmallSoldier wrote:

Does he? Have you read the contract? If you have, can you share?… Or are we just repeating the speculation from “journalists”?… It has been repeated so many times that now it’s taken as fact? (It’s not different that the deadline for Piastri, which apparently wasn’t the reason why he was able to sign for McLaren).

McLaren isn’t making a public quote because they are still working with Ricciardo on how to manage the separation, also to avoid further speculation until all the pieces have fall in place and agreements reached… The only reason why we are all aware of the situation is because of Alonso, if he wouldn’t have signed for Aston Martin and Alpine wouldn’t have jumped the gun and announced Piastri as their driver, all of these would have happened behind the scenes.

Also, it is in McLaren’s best interest to have Daniel find a seat in another Team… Making statements about Ricciardo at this point would be counterproductive, for both McLaren and Ricciardo… They are managing the best way possible.
As you say they are working on the separation, so Riccardo has a say, no I don't know the contract but for sure if it was just question of replacing him it would have been already announced. The rest you just posted is also specualtion from your part, what you wish but you don't know if Riccardo has the option or not to stay and if he wish to stay one year more or not. So I can speculate same as you