Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
continuum16

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 16:59
continuum16 wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 16:50
The more I look at it, the more this just looks like a slap in the face to AM. [...]
Hiring a rookie driver means you have wasted your time with a world champion in the seat for two years, after you fired a guy who was no worse, knew the team, and brought you sponsorship!
I'm sure that if AM were actually heading in the right direction, there'd be more motivation for Seb to stay. Unlike the young guns, Seb has a young family and being away from them will be hard and getting harder as time goes on. Without positive outcomes at the races as compensation, there's no motivation to look in his kids' eyes and say "bye" every other week.

As for a slap in the face, I think that's over-dramatising it. If the team can't get its act together and produce a decent car, no driver with Seb's record is going to hang around for ever. He's out of contract at the end of the year and maybe when he started negotiations the team and he were too far apart to be able to agree another deal. Only the team and Seb know the answer to that.

I wonder if Stroll Jnr's move on Seb at the end of the French GP made him think "sod this", especially if he mentioned it to the team and was met with silence (no idea about that, of course).
"Slap in the face" might have been a bit over-done, but I what I mean was this generally does not reflect well on AM. They sold him a project, and at the end of the day, he no longer believed in it. Or at least, to the extent that he did when he started. His reasons for leaving are both sound and understandable. I never really saw Seb have any connection to Stroll Jr except for the color of their cars. Seb is articulate, charismatic, detail-oriented, and socially outspoken. LS18 is none of those, at least publicly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the France incident unfolded as you speculated.

I wonder if the team will begin to lose sponsors as the effects of their poor performance and loss of star driver will become clear. They are on the verge of starting a vicious cycle like McLaren was in for years, where the disconnect between the top and bottom of the team becomes ever more apparent. But McLaren at least had history on its side. AM has the Strolls.

I don't know who they can get to replace him. I don't think it would be wise for MSC to leave the Ferrari family, but who knows, maybe he will follow his uncle Ralf instead. AM is losing leverage in contract negotiations it seems. Alonso would be the only one who could fit their desire, but I doubt the feeling is mutual. Although, when has Fernando ever been known to make well-timed contract decisions? Maybe he will go there. And then Alpine will conveniently win the WDC in two years lol.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Zynerji

Ricciardo to AM paving the way for Herta at McL?

Jolle
Jolle

continuum16 wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 18:50
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 16:59
continuum16 wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 16:50
The more I look at it, the more this just looks like a slap in the face to AM. [...]
Hiring a rookie driver means you have wasted your time with a world champion in the seat for two years, after you fired a guy who was no worse, knew the team, and brought you sponsorship!
I'm sure that if AM were actually heading in the right direction, there'd be more motivation for Seb to stay. Unlike the young guns, Seb has a young family and being away from them will be hard and getting harder as time goes on. Without positive outcomes at the races as compensation, there's no motivation to look in his kids' eyes and say "bye" every other week.

As for a slap in the face, I think that's over-dramatising it. If the team can't get its act together and produce a decent car, no driver with Seb's record is going to hang around for ever. He's out of contract at the end of the year and maybe when he started negotiations the team and he were too far apart to be able to agree another deal. Only the team and Seb know the answer to that.

I wonder if Stroll Jnr's move on Seb at the end of the French GP made him think "sod this", especially if he mentioned it to the team and was met with silence (no idea about that, of course).
"Slap in the face" might have been a bit over-done, but I what I mean was this generally does not reflect well on AM. They sold him a project, and at the end of the day, he no longer believed in it. Or at least, to the extent that he did when he started. His reasons for leaving are both sound and understandable. I never really saw Seb have any connection to Stroll Jr except for the color of their cars. Seb is articulate, charismatic, detail-oriented, and socially outspoken. LS18 is none of those, at least publicly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the France incident unfolded as you speculated.

I wonder if the team will begin to lose sponsors as the effects of their poor performance and loss of star driver will become clear. They are on the verge of starting a vicious cycle like McLaren was in for years, where the disconnect between the top and bottom of the team becomes ever more apparent. But McLaren at least had history on its side. AM has the Strolls.

I don't know who they can get to replace him. I don't think it would be wise for MSC to leave the Ferrari family, but who knows, maybe he will follow his uncle Ralf instead. AM is losing leverage in contract negotiations it seems. Alonso would be the only one who could fit their desire, but I doubt the feeling is mutual. Although, when has Fernando ever been known to make well-timed contract decisions? Maybe he will go there. And then Alpine will conveniently win the WDC in two years lol.
If you expect that a driver stays longer with a team, they just should of signed a longer contract.

PlatinumZealot

It's not a slap in the face at all. Sebastian is not the same driver he used to be. He's just barely in front of Lance on most days. There is literally no point in continuing if the car is far away from winning. Outside of Sebastian's detailed feedback it's pretty much a waste of time for everyone involved to keep a driver that doesn't want to be there any longer.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JordanMugen

Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 19:04
If you expect that a driver stays longer with a team, they just should of signed a longer contract.
Ironically, McLaren has the opposite problem. :P

Unless the O'Ward, Herta & Palou tests are a mere diversion, and McLaren actually has every intention on not just retaining Ricciardo for 2023 but renewing Ricciardo's contract for another 2-3 seasons beyond that, so pleased they are with the Australian? :?: :)

jumpingfish

Norbert reveals why Sebastian Vettel decided to retire. In an exclusive interview with RTL, Norbert Vettel admitted he saw the announcement coming, especially after the ‘low point’ his son suffered earlier this season at the Red Bull Ring.
“It’s a shame, but I understand him. That was an incredible career for my son and the low point was Austria. It hurt him so much to drive around at the end of the field and that accelerated this thought,” he said.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 13:19
I don't see why any of the current drivers would want to go to AM at the moment. They are basically the tail of the grid and so far don't look to be improving very much. Would Alonso want to go there from an Alpine that is giving him chances to score solid points if not podiums so far this year? I don't see why he would unless he just wanted to go there and do better than Seb did so he could say "I'm better than Seb". I don't see that happening, does anyone else?

Likewise Danny or others on the grid currently. Even Schumacher is basically doing as well in the points standings as Seb. Would that happen in AM rather than with Haas?
Wow, that aged well, didn't it? Frenando is going to AM for a multi-year deal. :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Italiano
Italiano

what?

#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

mendis
mendis

Italiano wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 10:26
what?

https://imgbb.com/
Aston's revenge on Otmar. :lol:

Lance Stroll would be distraught and destroyed. :lol:

So I guess then it is Piastri in that seat at Alpine.

alexx_88
alexx_88

I don't think Alonso wanted to go as much as he was pushed out by Otmar.

Sawtooth-spike

Does the Alonso move mean he will be the first drive to have driven all the Power units of the Hybrid Era? Ferrari, Merc, Honda and Renault.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

kptaylor
kptaylor

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 15:34
Does the Alonso move mean he will be the first drive to have driven all the Power units of the Hybrid Era? Ferrari, Merc, Honda and Renault.
Interesting stat!

Jolle
Jolle

kptaylor wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 16:01
Sawtooth-spike wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 15:34
Interesting stat!
And, with some bending of facts, all were the least powerful when they were in Alonso’s car.. that guy just can’t have a clean break/luck/whatever

Jolle
Jolle

My guess is that Alonso’s move is mostly a very good pay check.
His chances of getting in one of the championship contenders cars is very low and with all the constant internal shifts at Alpine/Renault it’s also clear that, not only isn’t hè their sole focus, but they are not really going to challenge redbull/Mercedes or Ferrari the next few years.
So battle for 7th for a small-ish paycheck or be the undisputed leader of the team battling for 12th for a huge pay check.

For someone who doesn’t care about 2 or 20th, because it’s not first, it makes sense.

And just a reminder, AM is second to last now, only ⅕ of the points Of Alpine.

Spacepace

Never would of thought 17 years ago Alonso would be driving for Jordan