2022 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313

Re: 2022 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 06 - 08

Mogster wrote:
10 May 2022, 08:23
JordanMugen wrote:
09 May 2022, 22:47
Mogster wrote:
09 May 2022, 14:21
I’m sure Liberty will be monitoring audience reaction and it’d be interesting to know how positive or otherwise it is. Assuming a lot of US viewers may be watching F1 for the first time, I don’t think this race was a particularly good advert for F1.
It wasn't too different to the various Indycar street races. The Miami track is quite a bit wider in places than a lot of the Indycar street tracks. :)

Indycar were racing at Alabama the week before on a permanent road track with nice scenery -- but the crowd there was minimal, so it is not like racing at permanent circuits is the answer in all cases.
I’d say the Indycar street tracks have far more character than this new build at Miami Gardens. You really can’t compare Indycar and F1 attendances.

As I said earlier I would like to see F1 race at one of the permanent US venues, Watkins would seem to be the most suitable. Liberty don’t seem interested in a US event at a traditional venue though.
But you simply can not. F1 cars are too fast, the security is not on level...furthermore most tracks suffer from low crowds as they are remote already in Indy car.

The security is the reason why they had to put the nasty chicane under the highway crossing...hopefully they find something better in the future. But the big issue is somewhere else....
For me the venue simply lacked good management, the weekend was set up shitty:
- Running a track with F1 first is always a risk. No idea why no one tries to get a weekend earlier ready and have some GT race ahead. That would have well cleaned the track and would have strongly reduced the stones coming out of the surface...and it would have showed the big issues. Having the last corner as a no grip zone ruined the racing there as it made following just more difficult.
- The other races were shitty and wrongly selected. They should have rubbered the track properly with F2. Not with an uninteresting local Porshe cup and F3 cars. Both use different rubber. Also this strongly robbed the show in F1.
- Also the frame program was just bad. The presentation on Thursday was nice, but...why on Thursday? There were not even 200 people at the track. The rest was completely irrelevant, compare the musical lineup with the last Singapore race...there is a huge discrepancy. If they want to make an event in a city, they have to make it an event.
- You can not make an event out of a strange podium celebration. That was just aweful, especially the plastic stripes...why not a proper show?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Mogster

basti313 wrote:
11 May 2022, 09:52
Mogster wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
09 May 2022, 22:47

It wasn't too different to the various Indycar street races. The Miami track is quite a bit wider in places than a lot of the Indycar street tracks. :)

Indycar were racing at Alabama the week before on a permanent road track with nice scenery -- but the crowd there was minimal, so it is not like racing at permanent circuits is the answer in all cases.
I’d say the Indycar street tracks have far more character than this new build at Miami Gardens. You really can’t compare Indycar and F1 attendances.

As I said earlier I would like to see F1 race at one of the permanent US venues, Watkins would seem to be the most suitable. Liberty don’t seem interested in a US event at a traditional venue though.
But you simply can not. F1 cars are too fast, the security is not on level...furthermore most tracks suffer from low crowds as they are remote already in Indy car.

The security is the reason why they had to put the nasty chicane under the highway crossing...hopefully they find something better in the future. But the big issue is somewhere else....
- Running a track with F1 first is always a risk. No idea why no one tries to get a weekend earlier ready and have some GT race ahead. That would have well cleaned the track and would have strongly reduced the stones coming out of the surface...and it would have showed the big issues. Having the last corner as a no grip zone ruined the racing there as it made following just more difficult.
- The other races were shitty and wrongly selected. They should have rubbered the track properly with F2. Not with an uninteresting local Porshe cup and F3 cars. Both use different rubber. Also this strongly robbed the show in F1.
- Also the frame program was just bad. The presentation on Thursday was nice, but...why on Thursday? There were not even 200 people at the track. The rest was completely irrelevant, compare the musical lineup with the last Singapore race...there is a huge discrepancy. If they want to make an event in a city, they have to make it an event.
- You can not make an event out of a strange podium celebration. That was just aweful, especially the plastic stripes...why not a proper show?
I don’t see how Watkins is more dangerous than Imola, Zandvoort, Suzuka, Spa and yes Jeddah and now Miami. At least at a traditional venue we’d have a decent show where the cars look good, rather than watching them scoot down an anonymous concrete channel.

It seems the Miami Gardens organizers didn’t make any money and the prawn sandwich eaters weren’t happy with the hospitality. Couple that with increasing complaints from the locals and maybe F1 won’t be returning to this place as quickly as it seems.

basti313

Mogster wrote:
11 May 2022, 21:31
basti313 wrote:
Mogster wrote:

I don’t see how Watkins is more dangerous than Imola, Zandvoort, Suzuka, Spa and yes Jeddah and now Miami. At least at a traditional venue we’d have a decent show where the cars look good, rather than watching them scoot down an anonymous concrete channel.

It seems the Miami Gardens organizers didn’t make any money and the prawn sandwich eaters weren’t happy with the hospitality. Couple that with increasing complaints from the locals and maybe F1 won’t be returning to this place as quickly as it seems.
Please, the Glen is most probably the worst scenario of all US tracks:
- No good run offs, directly into metal
- Trackside not secured for ripping off dirt in some corners
- Start finish too short

These are only the points that make it fail Grade 1.
Additionally it is one of the most remote tracks in the world...

And I disagree with the point of cars "looking good". On tracks like Imola you sit on a grandstand (take the big one as example) where you see NOTHING. You watch everything on a big screen and you have a straight in front of you where you see cars for 2sec passing at 100m distance from your seat...
In Miami or Spore when you are at the track, you can directly walk on the fence and see cars from some 2-3 meters. This is looking good!
Don`t russel the hamster!

Mogster

I’m talking more about how the race looks on TV. Imola, Spa, Monza, Suzuka look great on TV. Miami was very dull. It wasn’t helped by the fact we were told ad infinitum how awesome it was going to be…

The proposed waterfront track would have been much better from a TV point of view.

PlatinumZealot

I don't like how Max and Charles are respectful of each other. It's too politically correct.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Stu

basti313 wrote:
11 May 2022, 22:55
Mogster wrote:
11 May 2022, 21:31
basti313 wrote:

Please, the Glen is most probably the worst scenario of all US tracks:
- No good run offs, directly into metal
- Trackside not secured for ripping off dirt in some corners
- Start finish too short

These are only the points that make it fail Grade 1.
Additionally it is one of the most remote tracks in the world...

And I disagree with the point of cars "looking good". On tracks like Imola you sit on a grandstand (take the big one as example) where you see NOTHING. You watch everything on a big screen and you have a straight in front of you where you see cars for 2sec passing at 100m distance from your seat...
In Miami or Spore when you are at the track, you can directly walk on the fence and see cars from some 2-3 meters. This is looking good!
Watkins Glen sounds no different to Monaco, Jeddah, Baku, Miami, etc, etc. they all have approval for F1. The drivers change their risk strategy to suit each track. Just look at how they are keeping to the track limits this year, last season (and previously) it was something that some of them claimed was “not possible in these corners”.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Spoutnik

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2022, 06:09
I don't like how Max and Charles are respectful of each other. It's too politically correct.
Don't worry. It will became "peak terrorism" if they're still close in the 2nd half of the season.

SirBastianVettel

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I'm certain it won't stay that way if they are still in a close fight in the latter stages of the championship.

Juzh

In a sense he did because he made a mistake into T17 on the very first time verstappen got drs. Meanwhile verstappen made zero mistakes when leclerc put him under pressure later on.

SirBastianVettel

Juzh wrote:
12 May 2022, 12:03
In a sense he did because he made a mistake into T17 on the very first time verstappen got drs. Meanwhile verstappen made zero mistakes when leclerc put him under pressure later on.
I think he did run wide once when Leclerc made an attempt at an overtake. But since it wasn't followed directly by a DRS zone he got away with it.

dialtone

Spoutnik wrote:
What a load of nonsense…

Mogster

SirBastianVettel wrote:
12 May 2022, 09:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I'm certain it won't stay that way if they are still in a close fight in the latter stages of the championship.
It only really kicked off last year at Silverstone.

Also it does seem it’s easier to overtake and race wheel to wheel in the 2022 cars.

organic

dialtone wrote:
12 May 2022, 14:01
Spoutnik wrote:
What a load of nonsense…
I mean it's evidently true. Max had an easy pass into T1 which Charles didn't/couldn't defend because of the mistake Charles made at T17 which lost him a few tenths. The mistake was made on the first lap max was in DRS; how is that not immediately cracking?

Yes it's obvious RB had better pace, especially on the medium tyre, but Charles made it easy for his title rival