Opinion on 2022 regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mr5in1

Re: Opinion on 2022 regulations

Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 14:16
I think the bigger problems with most regs is that they're changed way too often. I'm sure 2025 will be great and then once again there will be a change when it all looks ok.

I think the racing is better this year but it is still way too much a three team series. Mercedes will be there soon. The teams after the top 3 are nowhere.
I agree with all of the above, you keep the same rules and you have a convergence in performance, all these technical changes into 22 and it's still the same result 2 teams way ahead

browney

I think the new rules seem to have helped the dirty air issues. So I think they have gone in the right direction compared to the previous aerodynamic formula.

However, I am not sure how much non-DRS overtaking you can have when the cars have so much grip. The braking zones become short and more corners become flat out. I understand why lots of people like the cars pulling huge G forces but I would prefer them to have less grip while still having a lot of power, so there is more braking and accelerating required.

The cars are also huge.... but it seems like nothing can be done about this, unfortunately.

Mandrake

The cars being huge at least leads to them looking slow and sluggish on the track. I guess most of you have seen the McMurtry run at Goodwood. That is is fast but looks even faster. Because it's small. I think F1 would benefit from smaller cars as well. It will just be almost impossible to fit all the modern tech into them.

Shrieker

With this ruleset, we should've had rear tyre fairings in front of the rear tyres a la indycar, to prevent front/rear tyre overlaps as was seen today.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mandrake

Shrieker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 16:35
With this ruleset, we should've had rear tyre fairings in front of the rear tyres a la indycar, to prevent front/rear tyre overlaps as was seen today.
Any fairing would need to be very structural to withstand the impact that was created. Elseit would just flap away and the car would flip. Are the indycar fairings structural?

ispano6

What level of politicking took place for such regulations and scrutiny to be introduced mid-season? One can imagine...

Someone or some team must have been really curious to find out what RedBull are doing and used their influence to get the FIA to find out. Perhaps a team came to the conclusion that they would need flex floors and assume RedBull or Ferrari must already be doing it.

F1 has always been about exploiting the gray areas, it should not be hindered by cost caps or politicking. Mercedes got to keep DAS all year, so it's curious why some teams are allowed to keep their advantage and some teams are not. My initial hunch is Ben Sulayem is catering to Mercedes or "billionaire" Wolff. The FIA already reneged the second stay after Mercedes tested that it didn't help. Mercedes probably has a rear wing that flexes 3mm already, right? Why can't the regulations be updated to ALLOW flexing under certain conditions to reduce porpoising?

At the end of the day, brilliant minds like Newey will find a solution and the teams will adjust their spend to accommodate it. Gray areas in the cost cap will be found by all teams. Teams can leverage technology from other projects and racing series like Mercedes did with Formula E, etc.

senja

If this flor flexing was banned in season, then Mercedes sidepod wing should be banned too. It's obvious that is not intended by the rules...

f1jcw

senja wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 19:38
If this flor flexing was banned in season, then Mercedes sidepod wing should be banned too. It's obvious that is not intended by the rules...
The two things have no relevance to each other.

What is it with people who think that teams should be allowed have parts flex about beyond the allowed amount, it should be stopped now not in a few races time

senja

Your reaction is obviously biased for some team...

It's practically the same. Both things are gray holes by weak wording in the rules. And both was not intended by the rules. So, if flex floor is banned by adding TD, then same should be done for sidepod wing too.

chrisc90

Maybe they should look at the front wings again too. Especially the split design

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 21:59
Maybe they should look at the front wings again too. Especially the split design
Repeat after me - all the front wings flex and they all do to much the same amount.

Not all floors are alleged to flex.

See the difference?

Good. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 23:03
chrisc90 wrote:
Repeat after me - all the front wings flex and they all do to much the same amount.

See the difference?

Good. 8)
If it passes the test, it's good to race.

I wish some teams would just get better instead of complaining. 🙄

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 23:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

See the difference?

Good. 8)

The ones that complain changes with the ones that are being "clever". Red Bull have done plenty of complaining about stuff over the years. None of them is better than any other in that regard.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 01:03
Zynerji wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 23:53
Just_a_fan wrote:

See the difference?

Good. 8)

The ones that complain changes with the ones that are being "clever". Red Bull have done plenty of complaining about stuff over the years. None of them is better than any other in that regard.
I'm just saying in general. I hate it when any team complains about a competitors engineering solutions. If it passes scrutineering, it should be off limits from concern.

Chuckjr

The cars can definitely follow more closely but could do better with an electronic suspension. It would help level the playing field and that would be good. It would help with cost savings. Some parts could be standardized to lower costs further. It would bring them as close to close following racing as possible. Introduce it in 2025. Yes this would really disappoint the analogue suspension fans like when they removed manual gear boxes. I’m still not over that one and it was decades ago.
Watching F1 since 1986.