Opinion on 2022 regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Opinion on 2022 regulations

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:08
adrianjordan wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:59
avoid one team running away without opposition!!
I dont think its just 1 team though? Ferrari are giving a strong fight so far. Just been a bit unlucky with a couple reliability issues. Which is a separate issue to the porpoising.
Who's to say that the porpoising isn't having an impact on their reliability though?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

chrisc90

adrianjordan wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:32
chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:08
adrianjordan wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:59
avoid one team running away without opposition!!
I dont think its just 1 team though? Ferrari are giving a strong fight so far. Just been a bit unlucky with a couple reliability issues. Which is a separate issue to the porpoising.
Who's to say that the porpoising isn't having an impact on their reliability though?
It could well be. It could well have been the same reason that the Red bulls had double DNF at the start of the season too. However they worked round the problem.

However, the fact that it seems to be solely related to Ferrari PU's and their reliability, would also mean it would affect the other teams. Why isnt Mercedes having any issues? They clearly have the 'worst' car on the grid for porposing...surely you would expect problems if you used that analogy for reliability

chrisc90

Adding onto this....

I believe the cars should be fitted with a vertical G meter, which is monitored throughout free practice. Now I do think there should be a set level which would have to be agreed with on the teams. If they are exceeding the limit, they should have to raise the car to reduce it. However, it would get very difficult to 'police' in qualifying and the race where cars generally run a lot faster (at least in qualifying). So whilst it would be good to have a limit, to protect the drivers, it would be very hard to enforce during the time that matters.

Zynerji

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:11
Adding onto this....

I believe the cars should be fitted with a vertical G meter, which is monitored throughout free practice. Now I do think there should be a set level which would have to be agreed with on the teams. If they are exceeding the limit, they should have to raise the car to reduce it. However, it would get very difficult to 'police' in qualifying and the race where cars generally run a lot faster (at least in qualifying). So whilst it would be good to have a limit, to protect the drivers, it would be very hard to enforce during the time that matters.
This seems like a PERFECT use of the GPDA and it's members to force some changes. Even if it's a self policed limit on vertical gForce over time.

Edax

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:11
Adding onto this....

Why not? For one I think the referees should have taken Hamilton out of the race, when he was complaining about his back. The same with boxing, when the stakes are this high you have to protect the athletes from permanently damaging themselves even if they want to continue.

Having a G-sensor would make that decision less arbitrary.

f1jcw

When Merc was able to utilise party modes better then everyone else, it was removed
When they could do das it was removed
When they could do fric better then everyone else it was removing it

We now have a safety issue, but strangely people want the rules to come up with one that will protect a single team rather then solve a problem.

DChemTech

f1jcw wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:27
When Merc was able to utilise party modes better then everyone else, it was removed

We now have a safety issue, but strangely people want the rules to come up with one that will protect a single team rather then solve a problem.
A 'safety issue' that can be resolved within existing regulations. So yeah, no need to change the rules, except for perhaps adding something that porpoising may not exist (some threshold) for safety concerns.

DAS was not banned during the season by the way; I see no issue with changing regulations between seasons. During the season, like for party modes or wing thresholds, is another matter - strongly against that. If a team manages to get most out of the regulations, they should be commended, not penalized.

TimW

A rule that teams may not purposely (or porpoisly) put their drivers health at risk seems a healthy rule change to me.

If how Lewis came out of the car was no play, then Merc should not have let him race like that. Most likely they already measure the accelerations, so they knew beforehand what they were exposing him to.

notsofast

FIA should not solve problems. Constructors should solve problems. That's why we have a constructors championship.

To protect the drivers, FIA could implement a rule, like, drivers may not be subject to more than X g vertical acceleration on average during a race. Let the constructors figure out to accomplish that.

Neuron

If all - literally all teams would have such problem then of course it should be taken on consideration to change something.
But.. for the love of god - if some teams can handle it it means that it is possible. Some teams did better job than others - it's F1's gene...

f1jcw

notsofast wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:50
FIA should not solve problems. Constructors should solve problems. That's why we have a constructors championship.

To protect the drivers, FIA could implement a rule, like, drivers may not be subject to more than X g vertical acceleration on average during a race. Let the constructors figure out to accomplish that.
So, when Merc had fric, party modes, DAS, why did the FIA solve the issue, why didn’t the other constructors solve the problems?

f1jcw

Neuron wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:53
If all - literally all teams would have such problem then of course it should be taken on consideration to change something.
But.. for the love of god - if some teams can handle it it means that it is possible. Some teams did better job than others - it's F1's gene...
As above, Engine Modes, why wasn’t those able to use allowed to, why did they have to be banned to the lowest common denominator

f1jcw

DChemTech wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:38
f1jcw wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:27

A 'safety issue' that can be resolved within existing regulations. So yeah, no need to change the rules, except for perhaps adding something that porpoising may not exist (some threshold) for safety concerns.

DAS was not banned during the season by the way; I see no issue with changing regulations between seasons. During the season, like for party modes or wing thresholds, is another matter - strongly against that. If a team manages to get most out of the regulations, they should be commended, not penalized.
Other things were banned in season, why not now. Why the hypocrisy from everyone.
Should be commended? Why haven’t people thought this in the past.

Neuron

f1jcw wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:56
Neuron wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:53
As above, Engine Modes, why wasn’t those able to use allowed to, why did they have to be banned to the lowest common denominator
I don't remember FIA'a statement on it. Was it legal or not? They forbidden something legal to use without any reason?

SiLo

Be funny if they do implement a "no more than X vertical gs" rule and then one team is like 6 seconds a lap quicker because they figure it out first. Still stand by my opinion that we should have had active suspension this season too as it would have been far cheaper for teams to run.
Felipe Baby!