2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Noble29

Re: 2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

That's the problem with social media / media outlets who are more interested in clicks and views rather than facts. The above Tweet doesn't even question what's going on, rather just state something as fact when it's not correct as there's no evidence. From the 4 second video, it actually looks like he's being very careful to keep his arms and body away from the car as he 'scoots' passed and simply has a look as he walks by the side of it. But again, people will see what they want to see, rather than what's actually happening, fuelled by false information provided and stated as fact to back up what they want to be happening. And of course, it involves a certain driver. Is this the part where we pretend to be shocked?

organic

Pretty obvious (imo) that he was trying to move past without touching the car/wing

Quantum

Noble29 wrote:
24 May 2022, 12:20
That's the problem with social media / media outlets who are more interested in clicks and views rather than facts. The above Tweet doesn't even question what's going on, rather just state something as fact when it's not correct as there's no evidence. From the 4 second video, it actually looks like he's being very careful to keep his arms and body away from the car as he 'scoots' passed and simply has a look as he walks by the side of it. But again, people will see what they want to see, rather than what's actually happening, fuelled by false information provided and stated as fact to back up what they want to be happening. And of course, it involves a certain driver. Is this the part where we pretend to be shocked?
Partisan bias is definitely present. And it works both ways, especially in cases of hero-worship or villian bashing.
Hamilton is actually a classic example of people losing their sh£$ by veering too far in either direction.
"Interplay of triads"

RZS10

It shows the sad state of F1 media when they'd rather write an article than to zoom in on the video and slow it down to see how clearly his hand emerges from behind the wing in a position no one would use to "touch" anything (in the inspecting kind of way) ... someone took the only frame where one could even remotely argue that he might possibly have touched it and of course some people ran with it ... unless he was fondling the wing prior to the video starting but it's rather unlikely seeing how he tries not to touch it with any part of his body in the entirety of said video.

It is also evident that the space between the railing and the car narrows which explains why he moved his arms up in the first place, it also reinforces the idea that he was trying to avoid contact.

edits: corrected typo, added image
Last edited by RZS10 on 24 May 2022, 13:26, edited 2 times in total.

bluechris

Lol .. this forum slowly become expert from technical in f1 to video editing forum :)

Zynerji

Quantum wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:45
Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 01:49
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
23 May 2022, 22:14

Yes knag has the right to go around the outside but the rules require an overtaking driver to do so safely, that was not a safe move by kmag and he caused a collision, should have been penalized.
Uh, KMag isn't the one that lost control of his car tho. As professionals, it is the person that makes the mistake of car control that should be penalized. We've seen plenty of brake lock-ups that have caused damage and gotten penalized. This is no different.
Wouldn't you say that a prudent driver would leave a larger gap?

There's a lot of risk factors involved in this incident.
Firstly all cars have full tanks.
Secondly, all cars have less than optimal tyre temps.
Thirdly, Turn 4 at Barcelona is notorious for incidents and cars spinning offline, and random gusts (Sainz, Max for eg)
Fourth, Ham had turbulence from 2 cars (Sainz, Mag) in addition to risk factors 1 and 2.
Fifth, where was Mag hoping to go once Ham hangs him out to dry on the kerb?
Sixth, Ham was on mediums to Mags softs, a prudent decision would be to utilise the tyre at the most oppurtune moment ie(not on the outside turn 4)

The motivation to pass seemed reckless to me, and the outcome fully backs that up.
Magnussen was risking his entire race to make an unlikely pass on the outside of turn 4 at Barcelona on full tanks and cold soft tyres, against a car that was hemmed in front and left with cold medium tyres?
What did Magnussen expect? Had he given more room for error such as the understeer a car would suffer being on a compound harder, with less than optimal aero on full tanks, there would've been no contact.

I just don't see how Ham is responsible on the racing line with a variety of factors not in his control when a guy decides to send one round the outside, knowing full well he has a high chance of feeding his sidepods gravel.
No matter who the driver is, if they lose control of their car in a way that then makes contact with another car, it is their fault.

I don't see how prudence of another driver has any connection...

ENGINE TUNER

I think the merc strategy team missed an opportunity to win by not putting RUS or HAM on the hards. HAM right after the collision, and RUS at his second stop. Kmag was the only driver i saw to use the hards, was there any data on it? I would think it would work well with the higher temps.

mzso

ringo wrote:
23 May 2022, 14:46
You also have to factor that George and Lewis had to slow considerably in the last couple laps because of coolant leaks.
It was fuel saving for Hamilton, wasn't it?

Quantum

Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 13:46
No matter who the driver is, if they lose control of their car in a way that then makes contact with another car, it is their fault.

I don't see how prudence of another driver has any connection...
Oh of course, Magnussen's prudence in taking a vanishing line full knowledge he was going to run out of road has no connection to making an actual connection with Hamilton.
No connection but the actual connection you blame Hamilton for so readily....
"Interplay of triads"

PlatinumZealot

sosic2121 wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 01:32
Also Hamilton car would have lost rear downforce as Magsussen's front wheel would. basically block half of the car's air flow. In other words, Magnussen caused this to himself.
He should have known better than to try outside maneuver against octogod :!:
I was a bit surprised that Magnussen came of worse just by running accross the gravel.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
24 May 2022, 11:09
Just seen this on Facebook.

https://i.ibb.co/W0MVQvr/FFC1-D5-BE-F69 ... -C0-EF.jpg

That’ll be €50,000 please
:lol:

Sigh.

Rent free. Rent free.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

chrisc90

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 15:24
chrisc90 wrote:
24 May 2022, 11:09
Just seen this on Facebook.

https://i.ibb.co/W0MVQvr/FFC1-D5-BE-F69 ... -C0-EF.jpg

That’ll be €50,000 please
:lol:

Sigh.

Rent free. Rent free.
Yawnnnnnn

PlatinumZealot

Can I have my €50,000 back?

Anyway come one people. Sure there were other things happening in the race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

mzso wrote:
24 May 2022, 14:56
ringo wrote:
You also have to factor that George and Lewis had to slow considerably in the last couple laps because of coolant leaks.
They said HAM was told to cool the car from lap 7!! I think for George it was a bit later. So this explains the low top speed too. So yeah the W13 is brimming with potential.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LM10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 16:15
mzso wrote:
24 May 2022, 14:56
ringo wrote:
They said HAM was told to cool the car from lap 7!! I think for George it was a bit later. So this explains the low top speed too. So yeah the W13 is brimming with potential.
Interesting viewpoint.