2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 16:15
mzso wrote:
24 May 2022, 14:56
ringo wrote:
23 May 2022, 14:46
You also have to factor that George and Lewis had to slow considerably in the last couple laps because of coolant leaks.
It was fuel saving for Hamilton, wasn't it?
They said HAM was told to cool the car from lap 7!! I think for George it was a bit later. So this explains the low top speed too. So yeah the W13 is brimming with potential.
It was a water leak for Hamilton in the end, not fuel saving.

PlatinumZealot

Hence he had to cool the car from early. I dont know where this fuel saving speculation came from? There was no indication of fuel saving in the slightest.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

I do not understand why Sainz pace was so far off Leclerc's.
It's like they're driving two different cars!
Leclerc is a different class of driver. I really want to see both on the front row and 1 and 2 after lap one.
We need to see them head to head with just the clean track in front of them.
But so far Sainz has no answer for Leclerc. Who he thought was his equal is just on another level.
Hopefully he figures out how to drive this car. I do not think he is that much slower than Leclerc, but I do think that he is not very adaptable and this car requires a certain style and trust level to drive.
For Sure!!

hollus

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 17:27
Hence he had to cool the car from early. I dont know where this fuel saving speculation came from? There was no indication of fuel saving in the slightest.
In F1TV live commentary, after both Russell and Hamilton were told to lift and coast “even more”, Palmer immediately declared it fuel issues.
It might have been wrong, but it has obvious logic: what could, simultaneously, 2 laps from the end, happen to both cars? The realization that they were under fueled and there would be no safety car is an obvious example.
Rivals, not enemies.

dialtone
dialtone

ringo wrote:I do not understand why Sainz pace was so far off Leclerc's.
Leclerc is a different class of driver. I really want to see both on the front row and 1 and 2 after lap one.
But so far Sainz has no answer for Leclerc. Who he thought was his equal is just on another level.
Hopefully he figures out how to drive this car. I do not think he is that much slower than Leclerc, but I do think that he is not very adaptable and this car requires a certain style and trust level to drive.
Sainz pace was good at start of stints, faster than Ham in middle stint for example, but with the broken diffuser he had, the tyres would die off fast and needed to nurse them more than LEC or others.

PlatinumZealot

hollus wrote:
24 May 2022, 17:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
In F1TV live commentary, after both Russell and Hamilton were told to lift and coast “even more”, Palmer immediately declared it fuel issues.
It might have been wrong, but it has obvious logic: what could, simultaneously, 2 laps from the end, happen to both cars? The realization that they were under fueled and there would be no safety car is an obvious example.
Ok. I watch the Sky feed where no one alluded to that.

I have never seen "cool the car" be code for "save fuel" for Mercedes so it's strange that Palmer would think that. I guess the Mercedes engine is a dud story makes things more exciting.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

dialtone wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:02
Sainz pace was good at start of stints, faster than Ham in middle stint for example, but with the broken diffuser he had, the tyres would die off fast and needed to nurse them more than LEC or others.
HAM came in for his medum tyres on lap 23, SAI 9 whole laps later (lap 32), how are the two stints even comparable? And as far as I know, Lewis had visible damage to his car's diffuser, which was pointed out by Ted Kravitz immediately after his coming together with MAG, Carlos' only after the race by Binotto...

RZS10

Wouldn't you stop both cars after crossing the line in hopes that you will have enough fuel for the probe if you were running low? Contrary to that you'd want to continue crawling around the track to get some air into the coolers instead of leaving an overheating car stationary with no mechanics in sight.

dialtone
dialtone

HungarianRacer wrote:
dialtone wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:02
HAM came in for his medum tyres on lap 23, SAI 9 whole laps later (lap 32), how are the two stints even comparable? And as far as I know, Lewis had visible damage to his car's diffuser, which was pointed out by Ted Kravitz immediately after his coming together with MAG, Carlos' only after the race by Binotto...
I don’t know what kind of discussion you want… implying that Binotto is lying is far fetched considering he hasn’t lied once in 3 years. But now that you mention it, you must be right, Hamilton would have won and lapped everyone 3 times starting 4 laps down.

Zynerji

Quantum wrote:
24 May 2022, 15:14
Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 13:46
No matter who the driver is, if they lose control of their car in a way that then makes contact with another car, it is their fault.

I don't see how prudence of another driver has any connection...
Oh of course, Magnussen's prudence in taking a vanishing line full knowledge he was going to run out of road has no connection to making an actual connection with Hamilton.
No connection but the actual connection you blame Hamilton for so readily....
I blame the driver that loses control, regardless of their name.

You should try some objective assessment sometime. It clears up some things.

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:21
hollus wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I have never seen "cool the car" be code for "save fuel" for Mercedes so it's strange that Palmer would think that. I guess the Mercedes engine is a dud story makes things more exciting.
I would not be at all surprised if Hamilton needed to do some fuel saving late on as they would not have calculated in the dash to reach the pack or the battle through. It is also unusual not to have a safety of any description at this track, so it would have probably been on the limit if everything went to plan.
I don't think it had anything to do with the call to cool though, as we often hear a lift and coast order, why would they change this week? No benefit to the competition knowing if they need to save fuel at the end of therace, they probably know exactly what was in there by then anyway.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Quantum

Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:26

Ironic, I have attested it to be on of those things, the same view the stewards took....it happens in racing, especially in the first few laps of the race for the many points I gave you.

But you do love sticking the boot in on Hamilton.

"objective assessment" :lol:
"Interplay of triads"

Zynerji

Quantum wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:32
Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:26

Ironic, I have attested it to be on of those things, the same view the stewards took....it happens in racing, especially in the first few laps of the race for the many points I gave you.

But you do love sticking the boot in on Hamilton.

"objective assessment" :lol:
Yes. Hamilton is the undisputed Greatest of All Time in my book. That doesn't make him infallible however. Because I recognize that, I've been called a troll and a racist.

I'm quite sick of folks believing that their viewpoint has any special privilege in the world...🙄

PlatinumZealot

Big Tea wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:21
hollus wrote:

I would not be at all surprised if Hamilton needed to do some fuel saving late on as they would not have calculated in the dash to reach the pack or the battle through. It is also unusual not to have a safety of any description at this track, so it would have probably been on the limit if everything went to plan.
I don't think it had anything to do with the call to cool though, as we often hear a lift and coast order, why would they change this week? No benefit to the competition knowing if they need to save fuel at the end of therace, they probably know exactly what was in there by then anyway.
The Mercedes engines, at least up to 2021, tended to be more fuel efficient than the others.. We used to get much save fuel instructions to drivers of Ferrari and RedBull engined cars? But almost never for any of the Mercs. That would be really something notable if it flipped for this year and only the Mercedes out of all the cars were told to save fuel.

The other thing too, these cars are heavier this year so the fuel penalty is not as harsh as it used to be. Carrying a bit more fuel doesn't punish the laptime as much, I notice the qualifyings this year that the teams run multiple laps and the lap time doesn't go down much.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

RZS10

Watch the best onbaords video , pause it at the timestamp and then place the cursor on the edge of the white line and continue frame by frame with [.] - look for cursor position vs edge of the line.