2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Re: 2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

dialtone wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:02
ringo wrote:I do not understand why Sainz pace was so far off Leclerc's.
It's like they're driving two different cars!
Leclerc is a different class of driver. I really want to see both on the front row and 1 and 2 after lap one.
We need to see them head to head with just the clean track in front of them.
But so far Sainz has no answer for Leclerc. Who he thought was his equal is just on another level.
Hopefully he figures out how to drive this car. I do not think he is that much slower than Leclerc, but I do think that he is not very adaptable and this car requires a certain style and trust level to drive.
Sainz pace was good at start of stints, faster than Ham in middle stint for example, but with the broken diffuser he had, the tyres would die off fast and needed to nurse them more than LEC or others.
SAI said car was good after the excursion, engineer said the same.

EDIT: Damage mentioned on lap 60
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

dialtone

So finally we can put this one to rest now?

Quantum

Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:35
Quantum wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:32
Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:26

I blame the driver that loses control, regardless of their name.

You should try some objective assessment sometime. It clears up some things.
Ironic, I have attested it to be on of those things, the same view the stewards took....it happens in racing, especially in the first few laps of the race for the many points I gave you.

But you do love sticking the boot in on Hamilton.

"objective assessment" :lol:
Yes. Hamilton is the undisputed Greatest of All Time in my book. That doesn't make him infallible however. Because I recognize that, I've been called a troll and a racist.

I'm quite sick of folks believing that their viewpoint has any special privilege in the world...🙄
And I'm no fan of either Mag or Ham.

In this instance you jump to blame inspite of the stewards themselves saying racing incident.

And this is not in isolation. You seem to have a pattern of doing that, I've observed.
Which is your right.

But it is very telling too.
"Interplay of triads"

hollus

Please agree to dissagree, thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

Zynerji

hollus wrote:
24 May 2022, 21:37
Hear, hear!

Big Tea

hollus wrote:
24 May 2022, 21:37

Is there an emoji for that? Save face and save the board. Maybe there should be one, a knot or something?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

So Sainz car was fine? Hard to beleive his pace was that slow but gives more credence to Mercedes saying they could hang with Ferrari.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dialtone

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 23:01
So Sainz car was fine? Hard to beleive his pace was that slow but gives more credence to Mercedes saying they could hang with Ferrari.
it wasn't fine, it was broken, reported on lap 60 of the onboard and repeated by Binotto after the race.

pakoyz250f

Hi to everyone! I´m new here I have been reading the forum since this season and it´s great... I´m mexican and I have been following F1 since 1998 when I was 11 years old. The schumi-mika era was great and I was hooked ever since...

So I may be biased of course but after reading the transcript for the red bull barcelona radios I think Checo had a legitimate reason to be angry, of course we will never know if he could win it but at least IMO he could have fight for it if he was allowed. Anyway this is shaping to be a great season!! Cheers !

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/23/why ... -in-spain/

Big Tea

I think everyone would agree with you that he was hard done by, but also that he probably knew what the score was when he signed, even if he did not openly agree to play the part.
We can sympathise with him, but on the other hand, if it was not for Red Bull taking him up, he probably would not have a drive now and may never have got back into a F1 car.

He has made enough of an impact with his time in Red Bull that if he does want out, he will probably have little trouble getting another good seat, but even then, will he gat as good a car as being in the 'second' Red Bull?

Bottas was the same this last couple of years at Merc. Not getting a fair crack where he was, but no option as good if he moved.
He is probably happier being second driver in the Bull than being first driver in any other seat likely to be open to him.

ringo

Regarding the redbull choice.
Why it is wrong is that basically Checo will not be able to go wheel to wheep with Max ever!
He cannot fight for a win even if he wanted to. Even if in a race Max was faster and closing down on him.. all he can do is step aside. :?
If i were Checo i would leave.
Its best to be a #2 like Webber who never got the best options but he could fight back.
For Sure!!

Big Tea

ringo wrote:
25 May 2022, 01:09
Regarding the redbull choice.
Why it is wrong is that basically Checo will not be able to go wheel to wheep with Max ever!
He cannot fight for a win even if he wanted to. Even if in a race Max was faster and closing down on him.. all he can do is step aside. :?
If i were Checo i would leave.
Its best to be a #2 like Webber who never got the best options but he could fight back.
But where would he go? He has by far the best available drive. (I agree its not fair, but its the best he can have)

dialtone

IMHO it's not about playing 2nd to max, it's about not being straight with him but lying to him.
Bird: Let’s give him a shot now. We’ll pay back later.
Checo: Okay
Checo: Get me Max out of the way so I overtake quickly.
Bird: Yeah copy Checo. So build the temperature margin for now. Brakes are a bit on the warm side.
Bird: Let’s wait at two seconds for now. We’re in a different race from them.
Checo: Why don’t you let me by? I have very fresh tyres. I can get by quickly.
Bird: Build the margin on the tyre temps, build the margin on the brakes, we’ll get our chance.
Checo: We will compromise our race, mate.
Checo: Come on guys, let me by.
Bird: You’ve still got fresh tyres, you’re going to get your shot.
Checo: I did help Max earlier, man, come on.
Bird: Yeah we know Checo.
On a "different race", but forced to stay behind.

There's no need to lie to him or make him believe things that don't exist like "you'll get payback later".
Just tell him straight on the radio: "this is what you signed up for Checo, you are the second driver and you will come second always, and we won't hesitate to ruin your race to get it done even if you were ahead in the WDC".

The thing is, "this is what you signed up for" isn't actually spelled out in the contract, you of course sign up to help your teammate, but treating your drivers like that can easily end up with very negative effects, and you can claim they signed up for it but that's very short term thinking. They will need Checo to drive to win the whole championship.

Big Tea

dialtone wrote:
25 May 2022, 01:52
IMHO it's not about playing 2nd to max, it's about not being straight with him but lying to him.
Bird: Let’s give him a shot now. We’ll pay back later.
Checo: Okay
Checo: Get me Max out of the way so I overtake quickly.
Bird: Yeah copy Checo. So build the temperature margin for now. Brakes are a bit on the warm side.
Bird: Let’s wait at two seconds for now. We’re in a different race from them.
Checo: Why don’t you let me by? I have very fresh tyres. I can get by quickly.
Bird: Build the margin on the tyre temps, build the margin on the brakes, we’ll get our chance.
Checo: We will compromise our race, mate.
Checo: Come on guys, let me by.
Bird: You’ve still got fresh tyres, you’re going to get your shot.
Checo: I did help Max earlier, man, come on.
Bird: Yeah we know Checo.
On a "different race", but forced to stay behind.

There's no need to lie to him or make him believe things that don't exist like "you'll get payback later".
Just tell him straight on the radio: "this is what you signed up for Checo, you are the second driver and you will come second always, and we won't hesitate to ruin your race to get it done even if you were ahead in the WDC".

The thing is, "this is what you signed up for" isn't actually spelled out in the contract, you of course sign up to help your teammate, but treating your drivers like that can easily end up with very negative effects, and you can claim they signed up for it but that's very short term thinking. They will need Checo to drive to win the whole championship.
Fair call, but did you expect any different? I did not.
Mercedes have done it Ferrari have done it, they have probably all done it right down to HAAS and Williams.
Not saying it is right, just that it is what it is. The only way Checo is going to win ahead of Max is if Max is out or there is more than one car between them. I can understand it, We don't have to like it.

pakoyz250f

Big Tea wrote:
25 May 2022, 00:57
I think everyone would agree with you that he was hard done by, but also that he probably knew what the score was when he signed, even if he did not openly agree to play the part.
We can sympathise with him, but on the other hand, if it was not for Red Bull taking him up, he probably would not have a drive now and may never have got back into a F1 car.

He has made enough of an impact with his time in Red Bull that if he does want out, he will probably have little trouble getting another good seat, but even then, will he gat as good a car as being in the 'second' Red Bull?

Bottas was the same this last couple of years at Merc. Not getting a fair crack where he was, but no option as good if he moved.
He is probably happier being second driver in the Bull than being first driver in any other seat likely to be open to him.
I totally agree with you, it was more of a he could have at least fight for it.

Even I tought that he had no chance to fight but after reading the radios it changed my view.

In all the other points yeah I´m with you... I noticed that in the pics after he looked geniunely happy.. I think he cooled down and tought exactly what you said but anyways I hope this gives him more motivation.

He needs to be better at saturdays. This race if he could be at a better starting position and were ahead of russell and closer to Max when max went off track, Checo would be gone when Max was stuck behind Russell.

Big Ifs but he must qualify better to be in a better position if something happens