How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fulcrum

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

A majority of the time, I find the commentators add nothing to the spectacle. Quite often, they detract from it, especially Croft. He needs to get back in the pub and commentate on darts.

I would happily listen to the 'enhanced lap' commentary, i.e. when the commentators say nothing and they turn up the sounds of the cars, for the entire race.

Watching the race without commentary, with enhanced car sounds and telemetry is my ideal.

Big Tea

I agree with Croft being a nuisance, he does yap on like a horse race commentary, but most of the others are ok (to me) as long as thy do not rabbit on about things non F1 or race related
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

silver

It's good that they have people like Nico in the team that quickly burst a faan Boi bubble the likes of Simon lazenby or Natalie try to create. Brundle does that with lesser authority. Can't they just fire Crofty, Simon, Natalie, Johnny, Karun et Al? Simply have Rachel, Naomi, Anthony, DiResta, Brundle, Button and Nico. Buxton and Barretto are another bunch of buffoons on F1TV.

the EDGE

I have 3 issues with sky…

1/ it’s boring OLD presenters like Crofty & Brundle
2/ it’s dumbed down commentary where they constantly feel the need to explain even the most basic rules
3/ the terrible sound mixing, where the commentators are far too loud and the track noise far too quiet

What annoys me the most is when Brundle tells the story of when Murray told him the key to successful commentary… basically… it doesn’t matter if you right… just make it exciting

Sadly he clearly choose to do the exact opposite

However, I’ve never found it biased in any way, but then I am British

Swed3120

silver wrote:
27 May 2022, 20:29
It's good that they have people like Nico in the team that quickly burst a faan Boi bubble the likes of Simon lazenby or Natalie try to create. Brundle does that with lesser authority. Can't they just fire Crofty, Simon, Natalie, Johnny, Karun et Al? Simply have Rachel, Naomi, Anthony, DiResta, Brundle, Button and Nico. Buxton and Barretto are another bunch of buffoons on F1TV.
The only one we actually need is febraga, his technical elements are a treat to watch

astracrazy

the EDGE wrote:
27 May 2022, 20:41
What annoys me the most is when Brundle tells the story of when Murray told him the key to successful commentary… basically… it doesn’t matter if you right… just make it exciting
I often feel Brundle does this far too much. I fail to believe he is unaware of the mistakes Crofty makes yet he seems happy enough to let him go along with it.
silver wrote:
27 May 2022, 20:29
You lost me a Naomi. This is an F1 program, so why you would get rid of someone with F1 experience like Karun for someone who hasn't come close on the analysis panel is beyond me. It is too obvious she is out of her depth and is often carried too much to bring any insight - which is her job.

cplchanb

id say bring back allen to replace croft. Him and brundle worked very well together in the 2000s and he did not use much scripted commentary like ILOaAWG.....

Quantum

So the SkyF1 commentary team got wasted at Red Bull's energy station on Friday night.

I do wonder how much is held back by commentary/journo's for fear of party passes being revoked.
"Interplay of triads"

Big Tea

Quantum wrote:
30 May 2022, 18:09
So the SkyF1 commentary team got wasted at Red Bull's energy station on Friday night.

I do wonder how much is held back by commentary/journo's for fear of party passes being revoked.
At least C4 team are neutral :twisted:

Quantum

Big Tea wrote:
30 May 2022, 18:14
Quantum wrote:

David Coulthard owned the production company from memory I think. :shock:
"Interplay of triads"

Big Tea

Quantum wrote:
30 May 2022, 18:19
Big Tea wrote:
30 May 2022, 18:14
Quantum wrote:

David Coulthard owned the production company from memory I think. :shock:
He also used to driver for them like Webber. Sorry I thought I was being obvious. I Failed again

Cuky

hollus wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:50
BBB?

I found the commentary on F1TV quite OK. Buxton and Palmer. They even forgot about Hamilton for like 40 minutes. Focus on The Bulls, a bit on Alonso, runaway Leclerc, and Russell only while he was soaking the camera time, then no more. No histrionics either. quite pleasant, actually.
I agree. I haven't started watching this season from the get go on F1TV, but finally bit the bullet just in time for Miami GP. At first I was taken by surprise that Sky team wasn't the default, so I switched to them. Then they started with Sky Pad which we obviously can't see in F1 TV coverage and remembered why I was annoyed by F1 TV broadcast in last few years with hearing people explain stuff that is supposedly on the screen but actually isn't. I switched back to F1 TV broadcast team and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with their accuracy, sound predictions of strategies, not dramatizing too much and actually coherently explaining stuff.

Also, I would like to say that I am very happy with overall product on F1 TV this year. With all the shows (especially Tech Talk) and live broadcasts going smoothly, as well as for the first time ever since F1 TV came out that I had 3 races in a row with not a single technical problem

Big Tea

I would like to see more of Sam Collings little explanatory spots. I find it a good mix of him asking people like Scarbs things he obviously knows but phrasing the question to get a 'mid range' answer not a deep technical or flippant fanboy level that does not really do much.

Zynerji

Cuky wrote:
30 May 2022, 21:50
hollus wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:50
BBB?

I found the commentary on F1TV quite OK. Buxton and Palmer. They even forgot about Hamilton for like 40 minutes. Focus on The Bulls, a bit on Alonso, runaway Leclerc, and Russell only while he was soaking the camera time, then no more. No histrionics either. quite pleasant, actually.
I agree. I haven't started watching this season from the get go on F1TV, but finally bit the bullet just in time for Miami GP. At first I was taken by surprise that Sky team wasn't the default, so I switched to them. Then they started with Sky Pad which we obviously can't see in F1 TV coverage and remembered why I was annoyed by F1 TV broadcast in last few years with hearing people explain stuff that is supposedly on the screen but actually isn't. I switched back to F1 TV broadcast team and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with their accuracy, sound predictions of strategies, not dramatizing too much and actually coherently explaining stuff.

Also, I would like to say that I am very happy with overall product on F1 TV this year. With all the shows (especially Tech Talk) and live broadcasts going smoothly, as well as for the first time ever since F1 TV came out that I had 3 races in a row with not a single technical problem
I've become a big fan of their coverage.

Mr5in1

Do you get F1TV in the UK now?

I hate the price for Sky sports F1, I would ditch everyone except Brundle, Ted and Karun.

I dont mind Nico, he calls out anyone, I also thought Danica in Miami was not bad too.

Brundle seems like Marmite for some in this forum, I've grown up listening to Brundle love his knowledge and passion for F1