How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

organic wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 11:57
Big Tea wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 00:19

I like Palmer and think he does a good job, but remember he does a different job to the others.
He has 20/20 hindsight and access to data TV does not. I'm sure all the live commentators would wish they could go back and change some of the things they said or wish someone interviewed had read the same script as them.

Palmer does live commentary on f1tv
I Did not know that, I have never seen him live but I like his youtube stuff
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bas550

ChrisF1 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 09:49
Goin back to the Johnny Herbert "he was sacked for speaking the truth", it's not what he said, it's how he said it, and how often.

He was outright disrespectful to Max, and gave a --- eating grin to the camera on more than one occasion as if to say "aren't I clever!"

Simple fact is that Max was the deserving champion, based on not crashing into the pitlane, not pressing the wrong button on his steering wheel, not crashing and being saved my red flags, and not relying on a teammate going bowling to stay in the title hunt.

The way it went down was wrong, but the result was right, and Herbert won't accept that.

And I say that as somebody who met Herbert many years back and thought he was brilliant - really enjoyed meeting him, so I don't have an axe to grind.
I could almost have written this post myself, even down to having met him! I met him at Silverstone in 2007 on the Friday, he was driving a golfcart about to look what is happening. We walked around the track as well and we where watching at Maggots/Beckets complex when he stopped by, walked up to near where I was and just watched along with us plebs...took about 10 seconds for him to be recognized and the ball to drop and he was very pleasant.

And unfortunately I share exactly your thoughts on his behavior RE Max. He, Crofty, Ted, Damon Hill..they're acting like sulky teenagers who didn't get their way regarding AD 2021, and think they're oh so clever for bringing it up time and time again. And for the reasons you write above, just shows how wrong they are.

bas550

Juzh wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 20:20
bas550 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 13:01
For F1TV, I think Jolyon Palmer is utterly fantastic. I wish they could have John Watson with him as often as possible...about as straight forward as they come. Ben Edwards is great as well. I despise Buxton, he wasn't very good in GP2 and after getting to F1, he's become worse as the chief narrator in DTS and the F1 games.
Palmer is very good when he is commentating qualifying and races as he takes those seriously, but sometimes when he's got a bit too much time on his hands during fps and particularly during testing he gets carried away too much with silly jokes and off topic stuff.
Like the other day sainz finally put on c4 tyre to do a fast lap and it seems none of them were looking at the screens, it took them 2/3 of a lap to realise somethings up.
I give Jolyon the benefit of the doubt regarding testing as I imagine it's really hard to either remain completely interesting during it and also, identifying the tyres a driver is on was hard enough if they were standing still let alone in motion. I'd actually love for someone to explain to me why they didn't go with a more coherent way of identifying tyres, much like we did pre 2019 or whenever it was when we had 7 different colours...

Chuckjr

dans79 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 22:22
I really don’t like any of them anymore. At this point I miss
Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett.
Steve Matchett was outstanding. Miss him a lot.
Watching F1 since 1986.

KeiKo403

I must say I'm really looking forward to having F1TV for this season especially given the difference in commentary quality during testing. Both teams made little comments/jokes but Crofty just really annoys me now with his comments basically mocking his colleagues.

chrisc90

You won’t look back!

GrizzleBoy

The sky sports app now gives all sky red button abilities like permanent driver outboards for any driver of your choice, timing, driver tracker etc.

I found it quite useful today.

Juzh

GrizzleBoy wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:34
The sky sports app now gives all sky red button abilities like permanent driver outboards for any driver of your choice, timing, driver tracker etc.

Would be interesting to know what stream source they are using, is it F1TV signals or the broadcast ones? Broadcast is far superior in quality, bitrate and signal integrity on most tracks, especially ones with lots of trees close to track (melbourne, baku among others). I know they used broadcast when they had a selection of few drivers.

Would be easy to check in melbourne. If onboard video is not breaking up or glitching every 15s then it's the broadcast signal.

GrizzleBoy

Juzh wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 15:24
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Would be interesting to know what stream source they are using, is it F1TV signals or the broadcast ones? Broadcast is far superior in quality, bitrate and signal integrity on most tracks, especially ones with lots of trees close to track (melbourne, baku among others). I know they used broadcast when they had a selection of few drivers.

Would be easy to check in melbourne. If onboard video is not breaking up or glitching every 15s then it's the broadcast signal.
Hmm I'm not sure to be honest. They play all the radio messages between the driver and engineer if that helps differentiate.

Juzh

GrizzleBoy wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 16:35
Juzh wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 15:24
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Hmm I'm not sure to be honest. They play all the radio messages between the driver and engineer if that helps differentiate.
This would indicate f1tv is being used (not 100%). A downgrade in my opinion, even if you can watch everyone now.

lio007

Watched Max's pole lap from onboard on F1TV. I wondered why I didn't hear GP although I had the team radio setting...
Is this a regular issue?

chrisc90

lio007 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 23:36
Watched Max's pole lap from onboard on F1TV. I wondered why I didn't hear GP although I had the team radio setting...
Is this a regular issue?
He wasnt there on F1TV either. First time its happened. It was there in the earlier qualifying though in Q1.

lio007

lio007 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 23:36
Is this a regular issue?
Ooops... Just realized this was the wrong thread. It was intended to be in the F1TV thread.

Mogster

Why did Sky get rid of DiResta and keep Hill? I like Damon as a colour presenter but as a technical SME in the booth he’s terrible.

I’m not sure Bernie Colin’s is a TV natural, she sounds very nervous, maybe she’ll get better. Her experience should bring good insight though. I have difficulty hearing what she’s saying over the atmosphere race sounds also.

gary71

Mogster wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 15:57
Why did Sky get rid of DiResta and keep Hill? I like Damon as a colour presenter but as a technical SME in the booth he’s terrible.

I’m not sure Bernie Colin’s is a TV natural, she sounds very nervous, maybe she’ll get better. Her experience should bring good insight though. I have difficulty hearing what she’s saying over the atmosphere race sounds also.
I agree about Damon, at one point yesterday I was wondering if he was feeling okay as his speech was slow and awkward. It was as if he was struggling to keep up with the others. Hopefully he is fine and it was just my imagination. As for Bernie I get what you are saying about hearing what she is saying clearly but it was still possible and , more importantly, what she was saying had quality. Personally I am really happy that they have her there with her input.