How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

chrisc90 wrote:
08 May 2023, 17:01
mendis wrote:
08 May 2023, 16:57
Anyone know who is the new guy in F1TV commentating alongside Palmer? He appears to be in the category of Crofty.
https://corp.formula1.com/f1-tv-unveils ... 23-season/
I think Alex Jacques is the main commentator, supported by Jolyon Palmer. And then further by David Couthard and James Hinchcliffe at select races.

Laura Winter (stunning), will buxton and Lawrence Barretto do your out of session commentary and you get Sam Collins at the techy/strategy analysis.

mendis
mendis

chrisc90 wrote:
mendis wrote:
Anyone know who is the new guy in F1TV commentating alongside Palmer? He appears to be in the category of Crofty.
Thanks!

Nimrod

harty71 wrote:
08 May 2023, 12:40
I wished they'd get John Watson in for a weekend.
Halcyon days!

Zynerji

chrisc90 wrote:
08 May 2023, 17:03
chrisc90 wrote:
mendis wrote:
I think Alex Jacques is the main commentator, supported by Jolyon Palmer. And then further by David Couthard and James Hinchcliffe at select races.

Laura Winter (stunning), Will Buxton and Lawrence Barretto do your out of session commentary and you get Sam Collins AND SCARBS at the techy/strategy analysis.
Fixed it for you! :D

chrisc90

Zynerji wrote:
08 May 2023, 17:53
chrisc90 wrote:
08 May 2023, 17:03

Laura Winter (stunning), Will Buxton and Lawrence Barretto do your out of session commentary and you get Sam Collins AND SCARBS at the techy/strategy analysis.
Fixed it for you! :D
Dont let him see that post :lol: :lol:

Chuckjr

During FP2 in Hungary I noticed more than ever that F1 is starting to get that same cringy goofiness that Indycar has suffered for decades. Some millionaires in a board room are trying desperately to be relevant, and they’ve lost the plot in the process. Bud Light did this (try to appeal to people who are not in the fan base) recently, and we all know how that worked out.

F1 are trying to hard to appeal to lower age groups, are trying to endlessly pizazz it up, and are alienating themselves from the main fan base. Ironically, it’s the die hard fan base who foster a love for racing in their kids. It’s not the broadcasters job to dumb itself down, it’s the parents love for the sport that passes sport knowledge to the child, which in turn makes them a lifelong fan. F1 production should have more self-respect than this. Where’s the professionalism?

They are not hiring commentators for their quality or knowledge of the sport, but for some kind of commercially correct bias. Same thing is happening in medicine.

F1 have gotta get their act together. I thought I was watching a bad episode of child American Idol when they ran the deal with Ted Kravitz and Scarlett. Wtf is happening. 🤦‍♂️
Watching F1 since 1986.

slinger

Could we not offset the tyre saving by leaving most of the sky sports team at home....🤣
Overtake you must, if not loose you will...

Herc15
Herc15

I have to say one of my largest takeaways from this season on the non racing side has to be the appalling commentary. Used to listen to the BBC F1 commentary of Jack Nicholls and Jolyon Palmer in previous ears but with Nicholls gone and replaced by Ben Edwards things have gone downhill. F1TV is ruined by Jacques who is worse than Crofty and Sky as we have well established is awful. Commentary is such a make or break for the sport I'm really surprised they don't make improvements.

Big Tea

Herc15 wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 19:16
I have to say one of my largest takeaways from this season on the non racing side has to be the appalling commentary. Used to listen to the BBC F1 commentary of Jack Nicholls and Jolyon Palmer in previous ears but with Nicholls gone and replaced by Ben Edwards things have gone downhill. F1TV is ruined by Jacques who is worse than Crofty and Sky as we have well established is awful. Commentary is such a make or break for the sport I'm really surprised they don't make improvements.
My pet hate is the opening credits where it sounds like a bin riot. I have to hit hut until it is well into the program, who ever is responsible for that must be about to go nuts if that sounds right to them.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Juzh

Herc15 wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 19:16
If anytime there was a corporate shill commentator it's gotta be Jacques. He's only slightly less terrible than Croft because he's less biased in his commentary, almost certainly because he has to cater to wider F1TV audience. Just today croft blamed gasly when hamilton misjudged the situation and bumped into him, as is tradition. This is something i just cant stand.
For me Edwards/Palmer combo was by far the best, but fortunately Coulthard as a 3rd commentator is quite decent to somewhat offset obnoxious Jacques.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

I may be wrong but felt like Jacques became worse / more Croft-like through this year. Really frustrating that those are our two choices.

Juzh

BanMeToo wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 00:18
I may be wrong but felt like Jacques became worse / more Croft-like through this year.
Agree completely.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Bump I saw some good posts in the Japanese GP thread that would have fit here O:)