2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
lh13
lh13

Re: 2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 14:59
lh13 wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 06:23
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I'm sure the Monaco business world will fork over the money to keep this GP on the map until Charles can win it.

I for one like this GP so I hope it stays. From a technical standpoint maybe Monaco car regulations should be imposed. For example: A rule saying teams must run the car 1800mm wide at Monaco.

Tyres and front wings are 50mm narrower on each side.
Not with the cost cap, no. And its not like the 'trimmed' cars will 'just work', not a chance.
Cost cap has nothing to do with it though.

The teams arrive at Monaco, and Pirelli gives them a standard wheel and tyre which are 50mm narrower on each side.

Actually my calculations are wrong!

The tyres would need to be 100mm narrower on each side.

It is still possible. Depending on how far the spindle sticks out.
You said narrower tyres and front wings. The way tyre wake is managed, and front wing controls the flow of the whole car, you cannot expect the car to 'work' with trimmed tyres and wings. If you want them to work, you need to develop 2 concepts, which is foolish, just to make an effort to make Monaco better. How much better was Monaco in 2010 for example? Not much.

silver
silver

lh13 wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:58
PlatinumZealot wrote:
lh13 wrote:
Not with the cost cap, no. And its not like the 'trimmed' cars will 'just work', not a chance.

The teams arrive at Monaco, and Pirelli gives them a standard wheel and tyre which are 50mm narrower on each side.

You said narrower tyres and front wings. The way tyre wake is managed, and front wing controls the flow of the whole car, you cannot expect the car to 'work' with trimmed tyres and wings. If you want them to work, you need to develop 2 concepts, which is foolish, just to make an effort to make Monaco better. How much better was Monaco in 2010 for example? Not much.
Indeed! Changing the tyre profile is going to have a whole lot of impact on the car's entire behavior. Not just aerodynamic, but mechanical too. Imagine what the reduced weight is going to do for car's behavior, it's CoG. I am sure there many areas that can be discussed, but it's futile to have tyres of different configurations.

PlatinumZealot

lh13 wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:58
PlatinumZealot wrote:
lh13 wrote:

You sure missed the point of it all.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Make Monaco a Moto GP race where each driver has to drive a spec motorcycle.

Job done.

Big Tea

It would probably make a good time trial race. Qualli as now but the main event one car at the time, 3 runs and adjustment allowed between runs.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sevach
Sevach

Mogster wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 12:15
If not change the layout completely could the track not be widened at all?
Running from the tunnel all the way to Tabac looks achievable, also making that part of the track wider and adding a DRS zone as you come out of the tunnel.
I just don't know how it would affect the street that runs paralel to the short burst between the chicane and Tabac.

Mogster

Sevach wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 23:43
Mogster wrote:
Running from the tunnel all the way to Tabac looks achievable, also making that part of the track wider and adding a DRS zone as you come out of the tunnel.
I just don't know how it would affect the street that runs paralel to the short burst between the chicane and Tabac.
Surely the issue with removing the chicane is reaching Tabac at high speed and no run off whatsoever?

It does seem like the ACM has sat back and done nothing until the event has reached crisis point.

codetower

Monaco isn’t going anywhere. The drivers want to keep it, the teams want to keep it, and the historians want to keep it. Honestly, I’m OK with it staying on the calendar. It’s a different type of race for sure. It’s more team dependent than it is car/driver dependent. It’s all about strategy. It’s The most unique track on the calendar. We’ve seen, especially this year, how strategy can win or lose Monaco.

The track layout is obviously too difficult to change, but one thing they could do to make the race more exciting, is eliminate the hard tire. Keep only the C4 and C5. Force teams into a 2 stop.

Mogster

codetower wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 14:55
The track layout is obviously too difficult to change
Is it? Even if it was just widening some areas.

It just seems like the ACM has had an easy ride so far and been allowed to just say no to everything. I’ve always enjoyed the event on TV but the last couple of years it does feel slightly stale somehow. The ACM were lucky this year with the rain on race day, otherwise we’d potentially have had a full race of the whole field trundling round 5 secs off the pace, Alonso as he tends to do shone a spotlight on the deficiencies of the layout.

Something needs to happen I think.

Espresso
Espresso

Just thinking do cars in the same lap get blue flags? Or do we still allow them to race.
This specifically because of the debate of the so called 'backmarkers' Latify and Albon .
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Sevach wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 23:43
Mogster wrote:
No chance of that, how could they justify monaco having a license for f1 with no run off for the cars doing 200mph into a corner

mzso
mzso

Poor Leclerc. Driving against Ferrari PU failures, abysmal stewarding, and even worse Ferrari tactics.
Two straight race wins wasted by the team, -39 points, more if you compare to Verstappen, which you should. Slim chance of wining the title with this team...

wogx

After 1/4 of season, top 4 is still chillin' together :)

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Bring Alonso back to Ferrari to win WCC and WDC next year

sosic2121
sosic2121

selvam_e2002 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 12:05
Bring Alonso back to Ferrari to win WCC and WDC next year
+1