2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sosic2121

Re: 2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

So ocon got penalty for not leaving the space (and rightly so) but Russell got none for pushing Max wide last race.

Mogster

sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 15:47
So ocon got penalty for not leaving the space (and rightly so) but Russell got none for pushing Max wide last race.
Squeezing someone against the barrier at Monaco is slightly different than pushing someone onto the endless run off of Barcelona T3 I think.

chrisc90

Mogster wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 18:12
sosic2121 wrote:
Squeezing someone against the barrier at Monaco is slightly different than pushing someone onto the endless run off of Barcelona T3 I think.
Principle is the same isnt it? Ill still stand by what I said earlier....Ocon was harsh to get a penalty

Mogster

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 18:18
Mogster wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
Principle is the same isnt it? Ill still stand by what I said earlier....Ocon was harsh to get a penalty
The potential result is totally different though isn’t it. One is at best race ending for your rival and at worst dangerous, the other disadvantages your rival slightly. If the paved run off wasn’t there, Max wouldn’t have put his car on the outside.

sosic2121

Mogster wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 20:58
chrisc90 wrote:
Mogster wrote:

The potential result is totally different though isn’t it. One is at best race ending for your rival and at worst dangerous, the other disadvantages your rival slightly. If the paved run off wasn’t there, Max wouldn’t have put his car on the outside.
I agree, but it shouldn't matter. Track is the track, and it ends with the white line.

So wall means penalty and tarmac means no penalty. What about gravel and grass?!

We have new rules this year and that's the reason ocon got penalty.

wogx

Mogster wrote:

Wait a sec :-k

FIA race director Michael Masi has explained Lewis Hamilton’s penalty in the British Grand Prix, noting that all of the teams previously agreed not to judge incidents on their consequences.

Hamilton was handed a 10-second time penalty for a collision with Max Verstappen that ended with the Dutchman requiring precautionary checks in hospital. Red Bull team principal Christian Horner criticized the decision, saying “putting a fellow driver in hospital, writing off the car, and receiving a menial penalty and winning the grand prix doesn’t feel like much of a penalty.” However, Masi noted that what follows the collision has never been a consideration.

“I think one of the big parts has been a mainstay for many, many years, and this came through discussions prior to my time between all teams, FIA and F1 and team principals,” Masi said. “(The teams) were all quite adamant that you should not consider the consequences in an incident, so when they’re judging incidents, they judge the incident itself and the merits of the incident, not what happened after as a consequence.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

hollus

wogx wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 11:12
Mogster wrote:

Wait a sec :-k

FIA race director Michael Masi has explained Lewis Hamilton’s penalty in the British Grand Prix, noting that all of the teams previously agreed not to judge incidents on their consequences.

Hamilton was handed a 10-second time penalty for a collision with Max Verstappen that ended with the Dutchman requiring precautionary checks in hospital. Red Bull team principal Christian Horner criticized the decision, saying “putting a fellow driver in hospital, writing off the car, and receiving a menial penalty and winning the grand prix doesn’t feel like much of a penalty.” However, Masi noted that what follows the collision has never been a consideration.

“I think one of the big parts has been a mainstay for many, many years, and this came through discussions prior to my time between all teams, FIA and F1 and team principals,” Masi said. “(The teams) were all quite adamant that you should not consider the consequences in an incident, so when they’re judging incidents, they judge the incident itself and the merits of the incident, not what happened after as a consequence.
Let's not confuse things on purpose or hold on too much to yeaterday's (yestermonth's?) discussion. In that particular segment, Mogster did not talk about what the FIA would do, he talked about Max doing a judgement call of risk benefit. If it goes wrong, it is race over for me -> I better wait. If it goes wrong it is a 3-5 second loss for me -> Let's try it.
Rivals, not enemies.

Stig14

sosic2121 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 08:46
Mogster wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I agree, but it shouldn't matter. Track is the track, and it ends with the white line.

So wall means penalty and tarmac means no penalty. What about gravel and grass?!

We have new rules this year and that's the reason ocon got penalty.
Pretty sure the fact there was gravel on the outside of Austria's turn 4 was the justification for giving Norris a penalty when he pushed Perez wide in 2021. There is precedent for this being a factor but certainly it has not applied consistently. Norris felt aggrieved about this topic too given what happened later that same year but not sure if there has been any clarification on this from the new race director setup
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/norri ... r/6805424/

wogx

hollus wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 16:15

Let's not confuse things on purpose or hold on too much to yeaterday's (yestermonth's?) discussion. In that particular segment, Mogster did not talk about what the FIA would do, he talked about Max doing a judgement call of risk benefit. If it goes wrong, it is race over for me -> I better wait. If it goes wrong it is a 3-5 second loss for me -> Let's try it.
This was more or less a discussion about Ocon's penalty vs Russell's defence of Verstappen, I just didn't want to post a multi-level quote. Rules should be applied strictly, without regard to the consequences of an accident
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

mzso

Mogster wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
It wasn't even an actual push. It was marginal how much space he left and if Verstappen could have held a tigther line hi might not have left the track at all.

sosic2121

mzso wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 19:21
Mogster wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
It wasn't even an actual push. It was marginal how much space he left and if Verstappen could have held a tigther line hi might not have left the track at all.
Yes, if only his car was 80cm wide, maybe he would have the space. I think you need to rewatch the incident
https://youtu.be/bmTT50fVZUQ

organic

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... /10318845/

Confirmation of pit exit rule change

TimW

organic wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 12:53

c) Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the Stewards), any tyre of a car exiting the pitlane must not cross any line painted on the track at the pit exit for the purpose of separating cars leaving the pitlane from those on the track.
I wonder how they will achieve this purpose while allowing tires to cross the line....

organic

TimW wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 13:48
organic wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 12:53

c) Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the Stewards), any tyre of a car exiting the pitlane must not cross any line painted on the track at the pit exit for the purpose of separating cars leaving the pitlane from those on the track.
I wonder how they will achieve this purpose while allowing tires to cross the line....
:mrgreen: indeed. I eagerly await someone in the pitlane using their tyre (over the line) to impede someone on the racing line - probably has to be a leader, or it'll just be brushed under the rug as per

chrisc90

I guess it brings in line with track limits with having a whole tyre across the line. Makes sense. You can bet the drivers will still keep right, it’ll be impossible for them to see how their tyre is positioned on the line