Interesting Stuff

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
johnny comelately

Re: Interesting Stuff

Koenigsegg vs Rimac vs Murray vs Hennessey: The Ultimate Car Boss Chat

johnny comelately

Rodak wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 04:05
johnny comelately wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 02:45
Rodak wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 02:24

The 1H isotope is 99.972% of existing hydrogen on earth. Atomic hydrogen is not 'manufactured', it's separated from molecular structures, such as water or methane. Nothing new is created.
The separation being manufacturing.
Yes, that is the manufacturing, the production of 'pure' hydrogen from some precursor molecule that contains hydrogen, i.e. the hydrolysis of water with electricity (2H2O + electricity yields 2H2 + O2) . But there is no hydrogen being created, and hence, no ability to produce deuterium preferentially. The only hydrogen isotope actually produced on earth is tritium, which is produced in nuclear reactors by exposing hydrogen (with a single proton) to neutron bombardment and eventually adding two neutrons to the nucleus.

This is a very expensive procedure, more expensive than enriching Uranium 238 to increase the concentration of U235, which is the fissionable isotope. Tritium has a half life of slightly more than 12 years and is used as a fuel in hydrogen bombs, or to enhance (boost) fission weapons.
Additionally (hydrogen ain't hydrogen) what is interesting about this is that when one form changes to the other there is heat release without bond breaking! :
Molecular hydrogen occurs in two isomeric forms, one with its two proton nuclear spins aligned parallel (orthohydrogen), the other with its two proton spins aligned antiparallel (parahydrogen).[1] These two forms are often referred to as spin isomers[2] or as nuclear spin isomers.[3]

Parahydrogen is in a lower energy state than is orthohydrogen. At room temperature and thermal equilibrium, thermal excitation causes hydrogen to consist of approximately 75% orthohydrogen and 25% parahydrogen. When hydrogen is liquified at low temperature, there is a slow spontaneous transition to a predominantly para ratio, with the released energy having implications for storage. Essentially pure parahydrogen form can be obtained at very low temperatures, but it is not possible to obtain a sample containing more than 75% orthohydrogen by heating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_isomers_of_hydrogen

Big Tea

I don't know if this will have any effect on the rumoured F1 tie up, it could bean more or less likely

When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

𓄀

Big Tea

I did not know where to put this, so picked this thread as the best match, sorry if it is out of bounds.

I saw a short clip last night of Lewis Hamilton mentioning he can lose 4kg during a race, and someone asked him where it goes.
This is a very interesting question.
Is it all fluid? if so, is it all collected in his race suit and counted in the total weight, or does it go out as heat etc?
Although I have always known it happens I have never really given a though to where it goes and what part of it is fluid.

Without going mega deep, does anyone have the appropriate knowledge?

Edit.
While looking for info on it I came across this which is interesting.

Hamilton apparently has half ltr of commercial electrolyte.

Big Tea

Not F1 related, and not likley to be in a car this century, but some very interesting stuff

Andres125sx

Best engine sounds video ever, activate subtitles for car identification, some really unique cars!! =D>

Big Tea

If this has been posted please excuse and delete