Interesting Stuff

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
johnny comelately

Re: Interesting Stuff

Big Tea wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 00:35
originally posted this on the new engine thread, but decided it was off topic. It is a way of using 'waste heat'.
I was thinking indirectly via exhaust or cooling.
It could possibly be the basis of real H recovery.

Yes, very interesting. It is not like there is a lack of surplus heat on race cars.
I have noticed the emergence of bifacial PV cells capturing heat reradiated from the earth or other bodies. Then there is organic electricity, the obvious example being the 800 volt electric eel, now there is a story....but we have digressed

Big Tea

johnny comelately wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 22:55
Big Tea wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 00:35
originally posted this on the new engine thread, but decided it was off topic. It is a way of using 'waste heat'.
I was thinking indirectly via exhaust or cooling.
It could possibly be the basis of real H recovery.

Yes, very interesting. It is not like there is a lack of surplus heat on race cars.
I have noticed the emergence of bifacial PV cells capturing heat reradiated from the earth or other bodies. Then there is organic electricity, the obvious example being the 800 volt electric eel, now there is a story....but we have digressed
Eelectricity.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

johnny comelately wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 01:22
Williams Advanced Engineering debuts ultra-high performance EV platform for hypercars;
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/0 ... liams.html

As an aside, in one of the pictures it shows the battery pack in a post and rail subframe which I thought is so passe, but maybe it is required for safety regulations as they stand??. The new Hennesy (piston powered) has an 86 kg monocoque!
Interesting. I wonder if this is going to end up as a basic platform for companies like Lotus/Caterham/Etc...🤔 Just building the aero-shell and the interior might be enticing.

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 04:22
johnny comelately wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 01:22
Williams Advanced Engineering debuts ultra-high performance EV platform for hypercars;
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/0 ... liams.html

As an aside, in one of the pictures it shows the battery pack in a post and rail subframe which I thought is so passe, but maybe it is required for safety regulations as they stand??. The new Hennesy (piston powered) has an 86 kg monocoque!
Interesting. I wonder if this is going to end up as a basic platform for companies like Lotus/Caterham/Etc...🤔 Just building the aero-shell and the interior might be enticing.
Is that more or less what VW have done with the ID electric platform?
I think also Nissan/Renault also have

Big Tea

Some more interesting stuff. Fast charging- o-80% in 8 min? (Claimed)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taehg2rZBpY

30-80% in 5 min?

gruntguru

Makes a mockery of the naysayers who point to present charging technology and claim it is always going to be that slow. EV proliferation is still a long way off yet already we are seeing massive improvements in charging rates.
je suis charlie

johnny comelately

A fresh look at laminar flow in the aircraft industry

johnny comelately

Acoustic Energy & Surprising Ways To Harness It (Intro To Thermoacoustics)

Zynerji

gruntguru wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 07:16
Makes a mockery of the naysayers who point to present charging technology and claim it is always going to be that slow. EV proliferation is still a long way off yet already we are seeing massive improvements in charging rates.
Cellphones have shown this for years. I don't think it's ever been in question about the speed. I think it's been alot about speed/safety at scale. We saw what the Note7 batteries did to a car. I can only imagine what 1500 of them could have done.😟

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 19:38
Some more interesting stuff. Fast charging- o-80% in 8 min? (Claimed)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taehg2rZBpY

30-80% in 5 min?
Too bad 67% of China's electricity comes from burning oil and coal.

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 17:39
Big Tea wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 19:38

30-80% in 5 min?
Would you prefer natural gas generated electricity, now that the EU has deemed that particular fossil fuel "green" and "sustainable"?🤔

Tommy Cookers

Zynerji wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 17:58
diffuser wrote:
Would you prefer natural gas generated electricity, now that the EU has deemed that particular fossil fuel "green" and "sustainable"?🤔
well he might ....
natural gas can give a lot less carbon (and particulate) emissions....
because it contains more hydrogen ie less carbon - and it can be used in combined cycle
the EU said it's a transitional fuel - not that it's sustainable

I meant to write a thing on the (quite good') laminar flow' video ....
airliner makers and their customers prefer planes that are commercially 'low drag' - not aerodynamically 'low drag'
they have a straight fuselage so the plane can be sized 'by the yard' to suit each customer requirement ....
not in the last 70 years a fancy (prolate spheroid is the name) fuselage shape that can't
regulators/insurers may demand oceanic fuel load contingency for loss of LF due to rain or dust
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 25 Sep 2022, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Zynerji

Tommy Cookers wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 18:40
Zynerji wrote:
diffuser wrote:
well he might ....
because it contains more hydrogen ie less carbon - and it can be used in combined cycle
Actually, they do call it sustainable.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/world/eu ... index.html

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 21:14
Tommy Cookers wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 18:40
Zynerji wrote:

well he might ....
Actually, they do call it sustainable.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/world/eu ... index.html
All the cars in the world create 7% of the worlds green houses gases per year. Doesn't really matter what you power cars with, if you don't deal with the other 93% of the problem. EVs are like the move to Diesel in the 90s and early 2000, we'll eventualy wake up and find out it's not the climate change resolusion. My guess at why cars get so much of our green house gas focus is because it's one for the few things in the green house gas battle that the ordinary Joe can control. So, mislead, we demand it and the car manufactures comply. Countries need to Push they're elected representatives to really look at this and come up with a plan for the other 93%...Part of it will likely be build more electric generating water dams and if you can't build dams, you need to build nuclear power plants (they are cleaner that solar and wind).

johnny comelately

USA but you get the picture (from the EPA)

This is no longer interesting...