2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Re: 2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

There’s a discussion to be had about porpoising and a discussion to be had about the basic ride quality; let’s not conflate

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the pilots are experiencing higher peak & ave. loads relative to previous yrs. They’re all crashing into bumps and over kerbs initially, rebound is where there’s a big difference between teams. That initial crash is def something that should be removed, it serves no purpose.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Ryar

Schuttelberg wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 13:53
siskue2005 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 21:28
Schuttelberg wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 21:16
Mercedes have finally accepted that they cannot fix the bouncing without losing performance so Russell, Hamilton and Wolff are going to go into a PR overdrive to make this out as a safety issue.
Sainz, Leclerc, Magnussen, Riccardo are also with the Merc PR team I belive :D
Maybe all of them are hoping to get a merc drive soon, or it must be a genuine issue
And they are also bouncing and suffering. You cans simply raise the ride height of the car at the cost of performance but these guys are lobbying for a mandated ride height so that the field is levelled. Why should the teams who have sorted the issue suffer? You can read or watch what Lando said.

It appears that Mercedes has created a dog sh.!t of a car and wants to pull down others to that level. :)
Last edited by Ryar on 13 Jun 2022, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Hakuna Matata!

chrisc90

There’s already a minimum ride height which all teams have to pass at scrutineering after the race.

epo
epo

siskue2005 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 21:28
Schuttelberg wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 21:16
Mercedes have finally accepted that they cannot fix the bouncing without losing performance so Russell, Hamilton and Wolff are going to go into a PR overdrive to make this out as a safety issue.
Sainz, Leclerc, Magnussen, Riccardo are also with the Merc PR team I belive :D
Maybe all of them are hoping to get a merc drive soon, or it must be a genuine issue
That stupid smiley says enough, and Leclerc is not on that team, he is totally fine how it is, show me some article where he states there should be changes?

Sevach

Since they say "it's dangerous" Mercedes should get a black and orange flag next time they start porpoising like crazy, that's what happens when your car is a danger to yourself and others right.
epo wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 14:19

That stupid smiley says enough, and Leclerc is not on that team, he is totally fine how it is, show me some article where he states there should be changes?
Charles has been on record that he doesn't feel it at all.
Sainz and Ricciardo seem to be the biggest non-Mercedes critics.

Still nowhere near Russell who can't stop talking about it.

PlatinumZealot

Altered suspension is the easiest way. It's not really that much of an expense. They can always attach new housings to the dampers and run reservoirs as needed. This porpoising adds nothing to the show, and it must be nipped in the bud before F1 returns after summer. Grant an extra 1 million for the modifcations and call it day. We need to move on from this distraction.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Incognito

Juzh wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 12:13
As usual verstappen pre-empted VSC ending in a perfect way, so he was already on full throttle for a second or two before it was actually over, that's why gap to perez went from 4.2s down to 2s in just a single straight. Perez was probably sitting very close to delta limit and only floored it once VSC was fully lifted.
It's possible.
https://ibb.co/dmVHrVG Just as the VSC is about to be deployed. The gap seems to be 5.937 seconds.
https://ibb.co/HD2nnzP As the two leaders come to the end of the start/finish straight. With the cars up to speed the gap seems to be 2.096 seconds.
Looking at the timings, the VSC ended as Verstappen rounded the apex of turn 16. The gap falls as the pair accelerate down the straight but stabilises as Perez passes turn 20. If Verstappen really was on the power earlier, wouldn't it continue to fall for longer? Perhaps not with the realtionship between speed and drag, I'll happily bow to any data you can produce.
langedweil wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 03:55
That's just partially telling what happened there. If you watched carefully you saw these seconds came all back to him just before the VSC ended .. so maybe he went way below his delta and picked up right before the VSC ended?
I'm not certain what you mean by "all came back to him"? Happy to take on board the evidence you have too. I've watched it several times, specifically to try and get to the bottom of this.

lh13

Incognito wrote:
Juzh wrote:
As usual verstappen pre-empted VSC ending in a perfect way, so he was already on full throttle for a second or two before it was actually over, that's why gap to perez went from 4.2s down to 2s in just a single straight. Perez was probably sitting very close to delta limit and only floored it once VSC was fully lifted.
It's possible.
https://ibb.co/dmVHrVG Just as the VSC is about to be deployed. The gap seems to be 5.937 seconds.
https://ibb.co/HD2nnzP As the two leaders come to the end of the start/finish straight. With the cars up to speed the gap seems to be 2.096 seconds.
Looking at the timings, the VSC ended as Verstappen rounded the apex of turn 16. The gap falls as the pair accelerate down the straight but stabilises as Perez passes turn 20. If Verstappen really was on the power earlier, wouldn't it continue to fall for longer? Perhaps not with the realtionship between speed and drag, I'll happily bow to any data you can produce.
langedweil wrote:
That's just partially telling what happened there. If you watched carefully you saw these seconds came all back to him just before the VSC ended .. so maybe he went way below his delta and picked up right before the VSC ended?
I'm not certain what you mean by "all came back to him"? Happy to take on board the evidence you have too. I've watched it several times, specifically to try and get to the bottom of this.
Where do you see 5.9 seconds? Its 3.503

Or are you telling everyone that Hamilton was 21 seconds behind Gasly, Vettel was 22 seconds behind Hamilton, and Tsunoda was 23 seconds behind Vettel?

Incognito

lh13 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 15:25
Incognito wrote:
Juzh wrote:
It's possible.
langedweil wrote:

Or are you telling everyone that Hamilton was 21 seconds behind Gasly, Vettel was 22 seconds behind Hamilton, amd Tsunoda was 23 seconds behind Vettel?
Excellent point, well made! Along with Juzh's point, mystery resolved. Turns out I am an idiot, after all #-o :D

lh13

Incognito wrote:
lh13 wrote:
Incognito wrote:It's possible.
Looking at the timings, the VSC ended as Verstappen rounded the apex of turn 16. The gap falls as the pair accelerate down the straight but stabilises as Perez passes turn 20. If Verstappen really was on the power earlier, wouldn't it continue to fall for longer? Perhaps not with the realtionship between speed and drag, I'll happily bow to any data you can produce. I'm not certain what you mean by "all came back to him"? Happy to take on board the evidence you have too. I've watched it several times, specifically to try and get to the bottom of this.

Or are you telling everyone that Hamilton was 21 seconds behind Gasly, Vettel was 22 seconds behind Hamilton, amd Tsunoda was 23 seconds behind Vettel?
Excellent point, well made! Along with Juzh's point, mystery resolved. Turns out I am an idiot, after all #-o :D
Sometimes the gaps are displayed between drivers, and sometimes relative to the race leader.

Incognito

I knew that...which only makes my idiocy worse. Perhaps it's this 37 year old (i.e. me) who has no place being around F1!

Sieper

Yeah, they constantly switch those, makes sense when they do, but I too still get caught out sometimes.

lh13

Incognito wrote:I knew that...which only makes my idiocy worse. Perhaps it's this 37 year old (i.e. me) who has no place being around F1!
Don't make me feel bad...man.

Sevach

lh13 wrote:

Or are you telling everyone that Hamilton was 21 seconds behind Gasly, Vettel was 22 seconds behind Hamilton, and Tsunoda was 23 seconds behind Vettel?
When the VSC is called the gap between cars will dilate on the lock because cars are travelling slower, the distance between them remains the same (theoretically), under VSC this 3s gap was appearing as 6s yesterday, when they accelerate the gap normalizes.
Verstappen seems to have gotten the better of Perez in up to 1s plus, sometimes it happens due to timing and where you are when the release happens.
Keep in mind that Max had some tow down the straight so he naturally gained a bit from it too.

With the deg Checo had all it would've meant is that Max overtakes one lap later.

langedweil

Incognito wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 15:21
lh13 was way more clear in stating what I meant; VSC indeed is about relative distance, not about time.
The time-diff for a 500m gap @ 300kph is only 50% of that same gap @ 150kph.
A driver has to drive to a delta over multiple sections, and as the VSC is announced to be ending, one could hold back a little and accelerate before the VSC-ending which results in a higher speed when it really does end. It's a little fiddling ofcourse, but I cannot imagine teams did not work this out.
Then again, you kinda have to be lucky where on track you are the exact moment the VSC is lifted; in de midst of a hairpin, or on a 1.5km straight with a tow makes quite some difference.
Last edited by langedweil on 14 Jun 2022, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !