[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

I need some clarification about the rules.

12.3 When intersected with any X-plane, it m
ust only produce only continuous closed sections with all parts of the section either visibly from above or below.
12.4 When intersected with any Y-plane, it must only produce only continuous closed sections with all parts of the section either visibly from above or below
Is it to be interpreted as only 1 closed section per section plane? (Both in X and Y directions, so no holes allowed in the floor).

12.5 After these requirements are met, additional parts may be added to the volume inside of the volume RV_FLOOR_FENCE_V01:
12.5.1 Up to four fences are permitted per side of the car.
12.5.2 The fences must be a part extruded purely in Z-direction.
12.5.3 The fences have to be a separate part.
12.5.4 The fences must have a constant thickness of 10mm
Does it mean that only 4 vertically extruded components can be added in this region? (No horizontal surfaces, planes or winglets are allowed).
Last edited by CAEdevice on 16 Jul 2022, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 21:19
yinlad wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 21:18
CAEdevice wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 20:26
Hi the Linux release looks OK, the symmetry plane is in the right place and also the vertical alignment is ok.
that's interesting. I wonder if the alignment issue is Windows specific in that case. I even got the new reg files and exported the wheels to test, but they are still floating above the floor in mflow
I did not update wheels and suspensions, maybe it depends on this.
Nah my entire car is 275mm off the floor, I tried the latest files to check if it was perhaps something in an older version of the regs, but it's still the same for me
MVRC - Panthera

samuel_l25

yinlad wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 21:31
CAEdevice wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 21:19
yinlad wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 21:18

that's interesting. I wonder if the alignment issue is Windows specific in that case. I even got the new reg files and exported the wheels to test, but they are still floating above the floor in mflow
I did not update wheels and suspensions, maybe it depends on this.
Nah my entire car is 275mm off the floor, I tried the latest files to check if it was perhaps something in an older version of the regs, but it's still the same for me
I'm getting the same issue.

Ft5fTL

Yep, cad files are on incorrect position.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

G-raph

Hi,

Sorry for being dumb, but where can I find this latest Windows version of MFLow? I have registered my team but nothing appears in the Windows download section on the website.

Thanks for your help!

Koldskaal

yinlad wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 18:07

It seems to be approximately 260mm off the ground. I've moved the wheels down 260mm and they seem to be at the same level as the wind tunnel floor but I can't be certain it's exactly correct

EDIT:

Checking the reg files I'm seeing things are 275mm in Z

Setting this to 0 puts the wheels approximately 15mm through the WT floor, not sure if that's intentional for sealing etc. But I don't know if the mflow windtunnel is wrong or the regulation files are wrong

I think at this point if we could move the wind tunnel up to match the files that'd be easier than having to go through and transform every part we've made against the reg files.
I agree. You can pretty easily fix this yourself in the meantime. After building the case go into system/blockMeshDict and edit the z coord of the first 4 vertices to -0.04 (adding the 0.275m)
then go into the "0" folder and edit the file "U". Find the front and rear wheels and edit the z-coord of the origin to 0.275

Save the changes and run the case like you would normally
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

LVDH

OK, guys,
I messed that up. I had the new wheel positions on my list but forgot to address it. For now, you can work with what Koldskaal suggested. I will implement the fixes on Monday. At least MFlow is running again. This was quite a difficult issue to fix. And now I do not only hate Windows PCs but PCs in general, I want my Amiga back...

LVDH

Oh, my poor, non-existent testing is not only because of my lack of time but also I do not have a new car, developed by the new rules. Please someone send me a car, so I can run it. Many thanks.

RicME85

G-raph wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 23:29
Hi,

Sorry for being dumb, but where can I find this latest Windows version of MFLow? I have registered my team but nothing appears in the Windows download section on the website.

Thanks for your help!
https://mantiumchallenge.com/download/m ... 2-windows/

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 09:57
Oh, my poor, non-existent testing is not only because of my lack of time but also I do not have a new car, developed by the new rules. Please someone send me a car, so I can run it. Many thanks.
I'm just kicking off a run with a half baked car, all seems well so far. I'll feedback on whether the fixes for floating have worked etc.
MVRC - Panthera

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Koldskaal wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 07:24
yinlad wrote:

It seems to be approximately 260mm off the ground. I've moved the wheels down 260mm and they seem to be at the same level as the wind tunnel floor but I can't be certain it's exactly correct

EDIT:

Setting this to 0 puts the wheels approximately 15mm through the WT floor, not sure if that's intentional for sealing etc. But I don't know if the mflow windtunnel is wrong or the regulation files are wrong

I think at this point if we could move the wind tunnel up to match the files that'd be easier than having to go through and transform every part we've made against the reg files.
I agree. You can pretty easily fix this yourself in the meantime. After building the case go into system/blockMeshDict and edit the z coord of the first 4 vertices to -0.04 (adding the 0.275m)
then go into the "0" folder and edit the file "U". Find the front and rear wheels and edit the z-coord of the origin to 0.275

https://i.imgur.com/PK4gXwY.png

OK I don't know why but it seems that my car has issues with the Y direction as well

The version of the Mflow is downloaded today, and the STL files are from .... 1st of july V5

Ft5fTL

I can confirm that my simulation went fine. No issues on Y direction or anything.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

G-raph

RicME85 wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 13:54
G-raph wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 23:29
Hi,

Thanks for your help!
https://mantiumchallenge.com/download/m ... 2-windows/
Thanks RicME85, but I don't have access to any file to download on this page. And if I follow the dropbox link it is not the latest version (and therefore doesn't work on Windows as previously reported).

I have registered my team on the website, so I'm not sure why I can't access it.

yinlad

k.ko100v wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 18:14
Koldskaal wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 07:24
yinlad wrote:

EDIT:

https://i.imgur.com/PK4gXwY.png

OK I don't know why but it seems that my car has issues with the Y direction as well

https://imgur.com/rclWzT0.jpg
https://imgur.com/c74UXWc.jpg

The version of the Mflow is downloaded today, and the STL files are from .... 1st of july V5
Make sure you set the mode in mflow to one of the MVRC options before opening the case. I think the tunnel differs slightly between the modes
MVRC - Panthera

Koldskaal

k.ko100v wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 18:14

That certainly looks weird... are you sure you exported the stls correctly? iirc you use solidworks right?
There is an option in SW that moves stls into "positive" space when you export them. You dont want that. This could explain what you are seeing.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian