[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
G-raph

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

yinlad wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 19:05
I'm limited on what I can/can't say to back that up though so I'm afraid you need to take my word for it or disregard me as an armchair analyst :D
Same thing here, I can't say too much so you'll have to take my word for it... but no F1 car of any generation has ever had -8.0CL. Something around -6.0CL would be more appropriate (although still optimistic). Drag of 1.5CD is about right though.
Ft5fTL wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 19:35
Here is my car for round 2:
Your Race 01 car was already a thing of beauty, but this one is on another level again. Well done! Although I should protest your floor strakes for the next round (race 03), as I don't think they are "extruded in Z" as written in the rules.

variante wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 19:32
G-raph wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 23:28
Here is my Race 2 car. I know it doesn't look lile much has changed, but as I have finally been able to do a little bit of development in CFD, I think I have made a decent step. I didn't have time to do any Monza-specific low drag wings, though.
https://i.postimg.cc/m22xkgGk/grr-r02.jpg
So your original car didn't see much CFD time? It would impressive, given how well it performed right away.
It looks like you're already fighting for the podium!
Thank you! The full story is this one :

- I thought I would not be able to get Mflow working on my PC so I designed my Race 01 car conservatively, knowing I would not get any CFD result until the official results.

- In the end I was able to run an unrefined version (no parts in the "refined folder") of MRVC_Fast for 1000 iterations just 3 days before the deadline.

- This showed 3 major issues : top surface separation on the floor leading edge ; not enough cooling ; rear wing endplate separation on the outside.

- I tried to fix them in CAD as best as I could quickly and submitted the new surfaces straight away for race 1.

- The official results have shown that I didn't fix the floor leading edge, that I improved cooling but not enough, and that the rear wing profiles were separating at the junction of the endplate.

- For race 2 I have done 9 loops of CFD (still with the unrefined settings mentioned above) and correlating that to the official CFD results (that give +0.6 CL compared to my settings). I hope the gain I think I have found fully translates to the race. :wink:

Ft5fTL

G-raph wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 23:26
Your Race 01 car was already a thing of beauty, but this one is on another level again. Well done! Although I should protest your floor strakes for the next round (race 03), as I don't think they are "extruded in Z" as written in the rules.
They are extruded in z direction with some curvature. If that is illegal, curving them on y direction should also be illegal.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

variante

Here's the updated car for Monza. Changes are:
- smaller rear wing, less aggressive beam wings, tighter rear end, maxed out gills array, larger sidepods slats, open front wing endplates.
As the previous one, this is also largely FIA legal.

G-raph wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 23:26
The full story is this one :
I'll confirm that it's very impressive, then.
It sounds like you have experience in F1 too. You guys should found a club...

Another sinuous car from PurePower!
And if yinlad's updates on the front work, he'll also be fighting for the podium.

yinlad

Some prettier renders, albeit with the lower poly count STLs
MVRC - Panthera

TalnoRacing

Very nice cars from everyone. I will unfortunately not compete in the second round as I could not work on the car. I hope to back for round 3.

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 12:44
Some prettier renders, albeit with the lower poly count STLs
Another interesting car.

I'm starting to think the MVRC level is too high for me (with only a mechanical back ground) this year

Anyway, this are additional images of the car for Monza.

As Variante is doing, I am trying to keep the car as much near to FIA rules as possible, except for some details that are impossibile (or penalising) to replicate because of the 10mm rule.

Last edited by CAEdevice on 12 Sep 2022, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Ft5fTL

It is a bit late but i like to use the late submision for this race if possible.

Edit: On the second thought i wont use it. Sorry about the confusion. :oops:

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 16:06
I'm starting to think the MVRC level is too high for me (with only a mechanical back ground) this year
Yeah, despite some "generational change", the level seems to have remained high this year.
But you managed to win races and championships against equally worthy opponents in the past. It's certainly not the first time that people with motorsport experience and aero academics participate to this challenge.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 12:54
CAEdevice wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 16:06
Yeah, despite some "generational change", the level seems to have remained high this year.
But you managed to win races and championships against equally worthy opponents in the past. It's certainly not the first time that people with motorsport experience and aero academics participate to this challenge.
You are right. Maybe I am just getting order.

RicME85

Take a look at the McLaren underside photos that have been posted, some interesting things going on there.

Really struggling to find time to produce a car at the moment. The closeness of races hasnt helped either. Doesnt help that I am wanting to move away from Sketchup but am struggling to get to grips with proper CAD modelling. I find Sketchup so intuitive. Latest software I have downloaded to try is CorelCAD

Ft5fTL

RicME85 wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 15:13
Take a look at the McLaren underside photos that have been posted, some interesting things going on there.

Really struggling to find time to produce a car at the moment. The closeness of races hasnt helped either. Doesnt help that I am wanting to move away from Sketchup but am struggling to get to grips with proper CAD modelling. I find Sketchup so intuitive. Latest software I have downloaded to try is CorelCAD
How about Fusion 360? It's free and easy to learn.

RicME85

Ft5fTL wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 17:32
RicME85 wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 15:13

How about Fusion 360? It's free and easy to learn.
I have tried it. I think my problem is my brain just cannot adjust to the different type of modelling :D
I have a number of 3D printers and have used Fusion 360 a few times to create some very basic fixings to print. I read that disabling the part history is a good way for long time Sketchup users to switch to Fusion 360 but I still couldnt get there. I know what I want to do and how I would do it in Sketchup but translating that to Fusion or whatever other software causes such brainfarts.

Earlier I was messing around trying to make a basic F1 tub in Fusion but couldn't figure it out. I made one shape for the A-A bulkhead (as in the old F1 regs) and went to extrude it to B-B but once I had I couldnt work out how to adjust the dimensions of the surface that makes up B-B. I then tried a different approach, more akin to doing it in Sketchup where I started with A-A then drew a line from there to where B-B would be and tried to draw the shape for B-B but it was in completely the wrong place on the plane and I couldnt figure out how to move it.
Probably all just stupidly simple things to sort but between my brain (which is filled with loads of opiates on a daily basis) and not knowing the Sketchup to Fusion 360 name/tool differences just got me frustrated :lol:

jjn9128

show us your floors damnit :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 21:24
show us your floors damnit :lol:
You'll see them. But not yet. Not yet.

(Maybe privately, contact me by mp).

By the way, I can't wait to see all the cars for Monza end the results.

LVDH

Homepage updates are coming...