[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
spacehead3

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

That livery is great! Hope we get to see the others in detail too.

Here is the telemetry from the top 3, not much in it! The big dip in Variante's speed through the esses was just a balance issue.

Because 3rd and 4th were so close, here is a bonus with Variante vs. CAEdevice. CAE had the edge with top speed in sectors 1 and 2 but the lack of downforce caught up to him in the end.

And it looks like Christian's table might have got sorted wrong so here is the official table that was used to calculate the lap times:
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

Thanks for the update and the additional data. The results are now aligned with my simulations.

variante

Congratulations to GRaph. Those updates payed off!
And well done to Koldskaal and everybody else too.
There's still little difference between the 1st and 7-8th position, despite very different design/setup philosophies.
And, of course, thanks to the whole MVRC staff.

I'm not too happy with my result because i'm experiencing big correlation issues, especially in terms of predictability.
Drag is ok, but downforce acts weirdly, and consequently so does CoP.
The official results of the 1st race (high DF) gave me +20.3% downforce over the fast simulation, those of the 2nd race (low drag) gave me +14.1%, and those of this race (high DF) +11.0% (with the largest CoP shift, 0.103m).
I could use the standard simulation instead of the fast one, but last time i tried it gave me equally unreliable results (especially CoP).
Anybody else experiencing something like this?

spacehead3 wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 13:46
Here is the telemetry
PS: there are some differences between the official laptimes and the ones we can calculate through the website. Maybe a different release?

BlueCheetah66

Still holding the back of the grid like I expected. My car for the next race is looking more promising, as long as I can get the rear wing working and the balance fixed

CAEdevice

Am I wrong or most of the cars have been faster than F1 cars ar Cota 2022? The pole position Lap (Sainz) was around 92s and the best lap during race (Hamilton) was around 95s.

Are we still using the cl*A trick? Wouldn't be better to use real data for the next race?

spacehead3

variante wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 14:29
PS: there are some differences between the official laptimes and the ones we can calculate through the website. Maybe a different release?
Yeah, it's a function of the website using a regression of the real simulation, looks like it was not so good for this track. But I do check the official results vs. the website each time just to make sure nothing is wrong. I don't believe that it changed the finishing order at all.

I'd love to let you all play with the real simulator but I don't know any good way to do that.
Max Taylor

spacehead3

CAEdevice wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 14:49
Am I wrong or most of the cars have been faster than F1 cars ar Cota 2022? The pole position Lap (Sainz) was around 92s and the best lap during race (Hamilton) was around 95s.

Are we still using the cl*A trick? Wouldn't be better to use real data for the next race?
The real reason is that the lap sim setup and correlation is based on a 2020 car. Over the winter I will update it with 2022 data and that should bring it all back into alignment.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 14:52
CAEdevice wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 14:49

The real reason is that the lap sim setup and correlation is based on a 2020 car. Over the winter I will update it with 2022 data and that should bring it all back into alignment.
I am not sure, bit we are much faster also considering pre 2022 cars. Wouldn't be easier to use real cfd data? The laptime simulator by itself works perfectly.

CAEdevice

I just noticed that the laptime software can simulate drs, cool!

How much does drag/dowforce change with drs? Does the online version also take drs into consideration?

variante

spacehead3 wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 14:50
variante wrote:
Yeah, it's a function of the website using a regression of the real simulation, looks like it was not so good for this track. But I do check the official results vs. the website each time just to make sure nothing is wrong. I don't believe that it changed the finishing order at all.

I'd love to let you all play with the real simulator but I don't know any good way to do that.
Ah, i didn't imagine it was that, because the difference is almost 1 second. But yeah, it's not an actual issue.

spacehead3

CAEdevice wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 15:09
I just noticed that the laptime software can simulate drs, cool!

How much does drag/dowforce change with drs? Does the online version also take drs into consideration?
Yep, that's all baked into the web version. It varies slightly per track but for COTA it was 81% CD and 93% CL.
Max Taylor

yinlad

variante wrote:
Congratulations to GRaph. Those updates payed off!
And well done to Koldskaal and everybody else too.
There's still little difference between the 1st and 7-8th position, despite very different design/setup philosophies.
And, of course, thanks to the whole MVRC staff.

I'm not too happy with my result because i'm experiencing big correlation issues, especially in terms of predictability.
Drag is ok, but downforce acts weirdly, and consequently so does CoP.
The official results of the 1st race (high DF) gave me +20.3% downforce over the fast simulation, those of the 2nd race (low drag) gave me +14.1%, and those of this race (high DF) +11.0% (with the largest CoP shift, 0.103m).
I could use the standard simulation instead of the fast one, but last time i tried it gave me equally unreliable results (especially CoP).
Anybody else experiencing something like this?
Yeah most definitely. Developed the car to make more frontal downforce this race but at some point the correlation between fast and normal shifted and it left me with cop issues I couldn't fix in time.
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

Super cool, I am just amazed how the results are now presented. Best part is - I have no extra work. So super big thanks to Max and Christian. We need to get these cool renders onto the main page. Finally having a good tire supplier is also great.
And congratulations to GRaph Racing. What a season. Monday morning, I will update the page which includes scrutineering. This time, a bunch of people managed to get warnings for rather small issues around every aspect of the cars.

Koldskaal

Here are previews of the 4 MVRC liveries: https://imgur.com/a/ybA6ejX

You can download them here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

They are made for the RaceSimStudios Formula Hybrid 2022 (for Assetto Corsa)
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

variante

Koldskaal wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 17:33
Here are previews of the 4 MVRC liveries: https://imgur.com/a/ybA6ejX
Ahh very nice! Time to update the website, i guess...