[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
BlueCheetah66

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Final Car of the season for HRT 2.0, hopefully it can get some points

I've had a lot of fun in my first year on MVRC and I'm actually quite grateful that I found this when I did. I would like to say a thank you to all the people that make this challenge possible.

I would also love to get some insight into some other contestants design process in making different parts ,etc. Sidepods, Floors

variante

Looking good. It's an elegant design. Not sure about cooling, though, with those small intakes.

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 21:27
I would also love to get some insight into some other contestants design process in making different parts ,etc. Sidepods, Floors
Yeah, me too. I'll make my own analysis soon.

Ft5fTL

This is the car i send for this race. I was working on a completely new chasis for the last race but cannot optimize in time. So i bolted the rear wing from that car and fixed the front wing (again) for legality reasons and changed the endplate. I dont expect much, probably messed up the cop with that rear wing but too much work got wasted and i wanted something to carry on from that.

Nevertheless as i said before im very happy from the results of this season as a person that has no engineering or mechanical degree/experience. I'm planing to release some post-process images and my findings in couple of days time.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

beschadigunc

I will join next year ;) .
When does it start

LVDH

Ft5fTL wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 21:29
Ft5fTL wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 16:28
It is a bit late but i like to use the late submision for this race if possible.

Edit: On the second thought i wont use it. Sorry about the confusion. :oops:
I intended to use it before for fixing the curved floor leading edge fences but abandoned that idea quickly (couple of hours later) after realizing its not a quick fix. Is it still count as used or may i use it?
Ok, so obviously called it and then at last minute deciding not to take it cannot work. Otherwise everybody would constantly be calling it and also I would loose track...
But as I understand, this is all moot, right?

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 21:27
I've had a lot of fun in my first year on MVRC and I'm actually quite grateful that I found this when I did. I would like to say a thank you to all the people that make this challenge possible.
Always happy to hear, thank you.

Ft5fTL wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 00:38
I like this view a lot. This is how F1 cars should look like. It is a modern car but has a lot of those 1994 cars.

beschadigunc wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 01:13
I will join next year ;) .
When does it start
The intention, every year, is to get the season running early to have spread out races. And as we have most rules and so on in place now that should be easy to achieve, just like every other year.
The reality is that it often starts second half of the year and then everything is a bit cramped. I can only hope that I get everything managed a bit better this time around.
After the season we can do what someone suggested and start a dedicated thread about the 2023 season. There we can talk about proposed rule changes and so on. I know you guys have a lot in mind.
One piece of advice to anyone, who would like to join next year: Sign up on the challenge homepage now! That way, you are in the mailing list and will receive an invite when the new season is announced.

LVDH

Ft5fTL wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 21:29
Ft5fTL wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 16:28
It is a bit late but i like to use the late submision for this race if possible.

Edit: On the second thought i wont use it. Sorry about the confusion. :oops:
I intended to use it before for fixing the curved floor leading edge fences but abandoned that idea quickly (couple of hours later) after realizing its not a quick fix. Is it still count as used or may i use it?
I just read this here once more and realized the date here. As my answer above is a bit late, I say you can use the extended deadline.

variante

I like infographics.
After 1 short week of development, i expect marginal improvements.
Hopefully, the true performance of the car won't fail to manifest, this time.

Ft5fTL wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 00:38
https://i.imgur.com/GcupBVf.jpg
Very sexy bodywork :D

BlueCheetah66

I feel like I should have asked this earlier in the challenge but what is a good area for the heat exchanger surface because I've been going for size rather than placement

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 11:09
I just read this here once more and realized the date here. As my answer above is a bit late, I say you can use the extended deadline.
Thanks, i will try to use it wisely.

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 15:17
I feel like I should have asked this earlier in the challenge but what is a good area for the heat exchanger surface because I've been going for size rather than placement
In my experience less rotation=better cooling. So my first aproach to it would be around 15-20° of rotation on the hx. On those angles the hx surface will be considerably tall so it's better to put it where the sidepod volume is most spacious (usualy the middle section).
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

spacehead3

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 15:17
Looking at your car, I would guess that the radiator inlet is probably stalled. Need to make sure that the flow stays attached all the way. In general this is probably easier to do with a more upright HX but it's not a requirement. All of the exit louvers in the world won't help you if the flow never actually gets into the sidepod.

Max Taylor

spacehead3

And if we're doing final beauty shots...

A bit disappointed that I slipped so much after that strong start but I certainly didn't expect the crazy level of development and competition that we had this year.

I ended up sticking with my strategy of running lots of small iterations with the fast template. Maybe not the most efficient development strategy but I'll keep chugging along.

Max Taylor

variante

spacehead3 wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 16:53
I ended up sticking with my strategy of running lots of small iterations with the fast template. Maybe not the most efficient development strategy but I'll keep chugging along.
Cool to see the progression of your development.
I also made a ton of "fast" simulations. Not that i had much of a choice, since my laptop takes 6 hours to run them.
My intention was to run a few "medium" simulations as well, to make sure i was on the right path, but they also don't correlate that well with the official results on the "long" settings. And they take a considerable 15 hours...

LVDH

I really like this plot. A similar one showcasing Cl over Cd would also be cool.

All simulations are prepared and running. Scrutineering is also done. Pure Power seems to have finally made a fully compliant car! It is almost a Christmas miracle. This weekend, I will probably post the CFD images from the previous race as well as the car images from this one.

beschadigunc

Andre have you checked the mantium email ? I wrote in the request section ,
To everyone , If I cant log in after now , Merry Christmas

LVDH

Good morning everyone,
I have small Christmas presents:
Full images can be found on the challenge page.
The simulations are probably done, but I am not sure when I will be able to tell the lady at home that I am going to the office, but I will try to sneak out at the first opportunity.

beschadigunc wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 13:24
Andre have you checked the mantium email ? I wrote in the request section ,
To everyone , If I cant log in after now , Merry Christmas
Just triple checked everything. I cannot find any email. To where do you even want to log in?