[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 18:28
variante wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 14:23
My Silverstone HTML report is also broken (images not in their compact form and numbers not visible).
This is a mistake on my side and is at least easy to fix. If you look into the folder containing the html file, you are trying to open, you will see that there is no css.css file. Just copy paste it from an older report and put it into the folder. This file actually never changes.
Ahhh right. Fixed, thank you.

G-raph

Thanks for the floor pictures, they are very interesting!

I was convinced that my floor was lacking performance, because I didn't do as much development as I wanted, so I'm pleasently surprised by the results! I now need to find out why I am missing so much on the rear wing compared to Variante and Koldskaal.

- Is my beamwing too aggressive? I'm the only one with dark blue on both the diffuser trailing edge and the beamwing. I went aggressive because that's what F1 teams have done, but maybe it doesn't work with our cars and CFD model.
- Is my bodywork and cooling flow strategy sending too much loss to the rear wing? That's quite likely.
- Are my rear wing profiles just :-# ? Again I haven't done may iterations so I may need to spend more time there.

Anyway, with these cars there are clearly 2 distincts philosophies :

1) Bias all the floor loading to the back, maximising massflow and energy with a high floor inlet and not very aggressive fences. Then you just need a big front wing to balance the car. This will degrade the front tyre wake but if the front of the floor doesn't do much it may not be a problem. Variante, Koldskaal and Tolo have gone this way and given they have won 4 races out of 5, this sounds quite a successful strategy.

2) Share the floor loading beetwen the fence region and the diffuser. The idea is that there would be less requirement to balance the car purely with the front wing. This should mean a less extreme front wheel wake which in turn would help with fence performance. Everyone else have gone this way and my car is the most extreme / successful example of that.

variante

For those who asked, check out the "[MVRC] Variante" thread for a brief analysis on my car.

G-raph

Thanks to Variante pictures in his separate thread, I can compare numbers and underfloor vortices between the 2 fastest cars (although none of them won the championship!).

I think these illustrate the point I made in my previous post very well.

Variante
Front Wing = 1.563 Cl / 32.4%
Rear Wing = 1.076 Cl / 22.3%
Non-wings (mainly floor then) = 2.186 Cl
Total = 4.825 Cl

G-Raph
Front Wing = 1.355 Cl / 30.3%
Rear Wing = 0.905 Cl / 20.2%
Non-wings (mainly floor then) = 2.213 Cl
Total = 4.473 Cl

This confirms that my floor produces marginally more downforce, and is visually more balanced, but Variante wings are much more performant than mine.

As for underfloor vortices, this confirms my more aggressive and intricate fence arrangement, as well as cleaner diffuser vortices that lasts longer. I also noticed that my floor outboard edge vortex is stronger than anyone else, which is funny because my bodywork and floor edge design focussed on making that as clean and weak as possible!

variante

Cool comparison.

I'd argue that it's hard to assess how much downforce comes directly from the floor from those data. Wheels lift aside, we have different design philosophies. For example, I invest much more in downwash, trying to favor the rear wing. The drawback is additional lift on the sidepods and engine cover, which is hard to discriminate from the floor performance.

CAEdevice

Hello everyone,

The prize for MVRC 2022 is finally ready to ship!

All the winners of a single race and the winner of the championship will be awarded.

The cap is produced in two graphic versions: MVRC "official" (grey) and MVRC "winner" (light blue with numeber 1): please specify wich version do you prefer.

In order to carry out the shipment, I need to know your shipping address (preferably by email to matteoATcaedevice.net).

In case of non-exhaustion of the budget of the sponsor budget, additional hats could be sent at the end of the awards.
For legal reasons, I cannot sell directly online at the moment, so we need to know your address, in order to ship the cap for free.

beschadigunc

what exactly does purely extruded in Z direction mean (fences rules). Does it mean we cant no use splines to make profiles like rbrs ?

Koldskaal

beschadigunc wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 13:26
what exactly does purely extruded in Z direction mean (fences rules). Does it mean we cant no use splines to make profiles like rbrs ?
Consider these fences:

A is illegal, contains Y and Z extrusions.
B and C are legal
D is illegal, no longer pure Z extrusion/10 mm thickness exceeded.

NB: There are (currently) no rules regarding the top and bottom surface of the fences. So the bottom for example doesn't have to follow the bottom surface of the reference volume
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

beschadigunc

Should we consider to open up the rules about pure Z extrusions , instead give a box to avoid double floor like tricks. or a reference shape that it should match in certain angles

Koldskaal

beschadigunc wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 02:08
Should we consider to open up the rules about pure Z extrusions , instead give a box to avoid double floor like tricks. or a reference shape that it should match in certain angles
The current rules are very much made to avoid double floors. What do you mean by the box? I can't really see how the reference shape idea gives you more freedom.

I think the fence rules are fine as they are. You have more freedom than F1 and it is still quite easy to scrutineer.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

beschadigunc

I dont believe you have more freedom than F1 check RB18 fences for example only freedom would be you can cut your fences in Y direction a little to mix it up. I meant you can legally stop it from being horizontal with a example set ot geometries and saying it can not be swept / extruded more than 15 degrees to Y or X

CAEdevice

CAEdevice wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 13:11
Hello everyone,

The prize for MVRC 2022 is finally ready to ship!

All the winners of a single race and the winner of the championship will be awarded.

The cap is produced in two graphic versions: MVRC "official" (grey) and MVRC "winner" (light blue with numeber 1): please specify wich version do you prefer.

In order to carry out the shipment, I need to know your shipping address (preferably by email to matteoATcaedevice.net).

In case of non-exhaustion of the budget of the sponsor budget, additional hats could be sent at the end of the awards.
For legal reasons, I cannot sell directly online at the moment, so we need to know your address, in order to ship the cap for free.

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... _Prize.jpg
Just a quick reminder: you have time to require (by pm or email) the prize untill the end of February.

CAEdevice

Just a message on the 2022 thread to confirm that all the prizes have been shipped and delivered. In case someone who asked it has not received it yet, please let me know by mp or email.