2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
codetower

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

ringo wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 06:51
Also Leclerc isnt entitled to wins. I agree with letting sainz win.
Leclerc messed up qualy, and messed up the start by crashing into Perez.
He made his bed by damaging his own wing.

As for leaving ferrari, biggest mistake if he does so. Leclerc is still reletively new to F1. It would be very ungrateful if he left just because of 1 race where he made crucial mistakes.
It just goes to show that at Ferrari its not about being the most talented. The team comes first.
What's important is he finished ahead of Max.
In the next races he should keep his nose clean and make sure he is in P1 after q3 and lap 1.
Going by this logic, neither is Sainz. He messed up by not being able to hold onto the lead with Verstappen behind, and not being able to maintain Leclerc's pace, being overtaken by him.

If Leclerc leaves, it wont be because of one race, as has been pointed out many times. This weekend was not about the team. The better TEAM result would be to have the win, have a driver move up ahead of your rival into 2nd, and take as many points away from RB.

JPower

codetower wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 21:37
\
Going by this logic, neither is Sainz.
Who said he was?

Regardless, what's done is done.

Looking forward to the intrateam battle going down the stretch. Hopefully Binotto lets them race.

Stu

hollus wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 21:15
Ferrari's strategy blunder in Silverstone seems to be all the rage here, and even in the Austrian GP thread... during the race I too was screaming what are they doing?!
But looking at it coldly:
That disaster (not stacking both cars to get Leclerc on new softs), turned a likely 1-3 into a 1-4. It is only a catastrophe from Leclerc's point of view.
On the other side, that 3rd turned 4th meant that if the hard had turned out to be better, Ferrari would still have won.
It meant that Hamilton had no scenario in which he beat both Ferraris, at least not one in which he was likely to have track position and decent tires. Not even with the advantage of doing "opposite to".
It meant that if there was another SC, or a red flag, the team had preserved track position.

If you do a full probabilistic cost benefit analysis, I am not so sure it was a bad decision. And, hush, hush, they even won the race.

But we all saw how then politics mixed badly with brainy strategy and likely they mixed best for the team with perceived best for Leclerc.
Had they have stacked, there are two possible outcomes. Hamilton doesn’t pit (the rule of do the opposite), which would mean Perez immediately behind Sainz, but unlikely that Leclerc is out in front of Hamilton. Hamilton then get mugged at the restart and Leclerc wins from Perez and Sainz.

Or…

They all pit, Leclerc leads from Hamilton, Sainz and Perez at the restart; Hamilton gets mugged at the restart and either Leclerc or Perez wins followed by Sainz and Hamilton.
Perez or Leclerc winning would depend on how quickly Perez is able to clear Sainz and Hamilton.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Hammerfist

If they all pitted there is a higher chance of a ferrari 1-2 since we know the merc was likely to get mugged due to tire warmup issues. It was a screwup of epic proportions. Sorry Sainz fans.

JPower

Hammerfist wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 22:29
If they all pitted there is a higher chance of a ferrari 1-2 since we know the merc was likely to get mugged due to tire warmup issues. It was a screwup of epic proportions. Sorry Sainz fans.
Nothing to be sorry about if you're a Sainz fan. Easily the most successful weekend of his career. :lol:

codetower

JPower wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 21:39
codetower wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 21:37
\
Going by this logic, neither is Sainz.
Who said he was?

Regardless, what's done is done.

Looking forward to the intrateam battle going down the stretch. Hopefully Binotto lets them race.
Well, to be fair, no one said Leclerc is entitled to wins either. I was just stating that mistakes can happen throughout a race. Leclerc made up for his mistakes and then it seems the win got taken away from him.

But I agree... what's done is done. I too am looking forward to the battles down the stretch. and DEFINITELY hope Binotto lets em race.

tpe
tpe

Andres125sx wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 08:17
tpe wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 17:41
Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 08:05

Ferrari did explain that, they thought new soft tires would not last the remaining laps so he could not regain the leadership. That´s assuming if they both pitted their rivals wouldn´t. That´s the problem of leading a race when a SC is deployed, your rivals can react and take opposite strategy to take the lead
Which means that the data they got from FPs where wrong!
Not to mention of course that this is a lie, since they LEC-SAI had 9 seconds diff when the SC came out. Unless the 5 secs they told us in Monaco was BS. I doubt tough, because if you consider that the average pit stop is around 3.5, 5 sec diff sounds about right.
You´re assuming if both Lecrerc and Sainz pitted, their rivals would too. But that´s not real. If you´re third and the two cars in front of you do change tires, any team will keep his driver on track to try the victory. Ferrari thought in that case they could not overtake because the soft tires would keep their advantage for few laps.

Probably wrong, but that´s easy to say with hindsight. They did prefer split strategies to secure the victory. Too conservative? Sure, but that´s what Ferrari has been doing for many years, not that they´re intentionally ruining Lecrerc championship, simply that they´re some step down RBR on the strategy department
Your point just emphasise what I say about their data from FP.
Also, they should already know that tire difference was too high (Seb, 2018).
The strategy is an issue for Ferrari for ages... Some times they get it right, but most of the times, they are wrong, miscalculating, or simply slow.

Andres125sx

Exactly, but stating Ferrri is intentionally favouring Sainz as some have claimed in this thread, is really laughable

Schuttelberg

Aesop wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 08:36
Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 08:01
Schuttelberg wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 20:53
Anyone else here desperate to see Charles in any other team?
What would you expect to improve if that´s the case?

Right now it would only be a step forward (car perfomance wise) if it´s RBR, any other team will be a huge step backwards. And politically speaking a move to RBR would be a step backward, maybe Ferrari do not provide him clear #1 status (yet), but at RBR he would be a clear #2, at least while Max is still there
Team.performance wise you mean.
It is the way Charles is being treated which is crap. The errors, wins and losses and Charles' own errors is all a team sport. It's about the team boss pointing fingers in public and that too when the error is down to him. On the other hand there's Mercedes issuing apologies from strategists and team bosses in public domain at the slightest issue in the silver car.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

mzivtins

Schuttelberg wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 09:37
Aesop wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 08:36
Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 08:01

What would you expect to improve if that´s the case?

Right now it would only be a step forward (car perfomance wise) if it´s RBR, any other team will be a huge step backwards. And politically speaking a move to RBR would be a step backward, maybe Ferrari do not provide him clear #1 status (yet), but at RBR he would be a clear #2, at least while Max is still there
Team.performance wise you mean.
It is the way Charles is being treated which is crap. The errors, wins and losses and Charles' own errors is all a team sport. It's about the team boss pointing fingers in public and that too when the error is down to him. On the other hand there's Mercedes issuing apologies from strategists and team bosses in public domain at the slightest issue in the silver car.
I agree with this 100%

I adored the sainz win, but Ferrari have let down both drivers most of the year, with Leclerc suffering the most.

They had a 9 second gap to double stack cars, and said they did not want to double-stack. Clearly worried about what happened in Monaco, which was NOT a double stack, that was a complete breakdown of communication and disaster.

The fact the team thinks that the issues caused previously are something as dismissible as "double-stacking" shows there is now root cause analysis, or if there is, the results of that are either kept as a secret or two sensitive to reveal.

It almost feels like the team cannot say what the team does wrong, how can a team learn and improve without understanding where problems are?

Of all the issues we though we would have this season:
  • Ham VS George as teammates
    Perez Winning over Max
    Max Close Fighting With Leclerc
The only thing that has become a genuine issue is Leclerc Vs the Ferrari team.

I was so happy to see Ferrari do so well at the start of the season, no I believe Sainz and Leclerc deserver better.

PlatinumZealot

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 08:00
Exactly, but stating Ferrri is intentionally favouring Sainz as some have claimed in this thread, is really laughable
I feel they favoured Sainz, but only for that race. Now that they have appeased him they will focus back to Leclerc.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

maxxer

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 00:08
Andres125sx wrote:
I feel they favoured Sainz, but only for that race. Now that they have appeased him they will focus back to Leclerc.
They would have both ended up in their drs range i think , the other wasnt that much quicker then the other

Andres125sx

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Maybe with hindsight, but they´ve explained their pov and even if it was wrong, it was genuine. Splitting strategies was the best bet to secure Ferrari victory

People tend to confuse Lecrerc interest with Ferrari interest. In normal conditions Ferrari best bet to win the title is Lecrerc, but normal conditions are not guaranteed by any means, and there are only 11 points difference between Charles and Carlos while there are more than 300 points left in the championship

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 14:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Maybe with hindsight, but they´ve explained their pov and even if it was wrong, it was genuine. Splitting strategies was the best bet to secure Ferrari victory

People tend to confuse Lecrerc interest with Ferrari interest. In normal conditions Ferrari best bet to win the title is Lecrerc, but normal conditions are not guaranteed by any means, and there are only 11 points difference between Charles and Carlos while there are more than 300 points left in the championship
Yes, historically Ferrari have always wanted the constructors, the drivers was a by-product.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

atanatizante

Is that true that due to a Silverstone wet qualy session the teams could run in the race in whatever ICE mode they would like? that`s the same situation with the tyres you choose to run in the race after a wet qualy ...

Another question is regarding where VER had suffered floor damage ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus