2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mvfad

Re: 2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

Russell vs Perez was equal to Mag vs Hamilton in Barcelona. Both race incidents, but one got a penalty and the other didn't.

Maybe if it was a HAAS or Williams or McLaren or anyway there instead of the Redbull, Russell wouldn't have been punished. 🤔

ridiculous inconsistencies.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

RZS10 wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 14:37
chrisc90 wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 10:48
Do we know what happened with the haas engine of k.mag?
[...]
Almost looks a little swerve as he catches the kerb with the way the car twitches.
From around lap 15 onwards he had misfires when accelerating from low revs, so he took most corners in lower gears to keep revs higher - i doubt there will be any more info about this.
___
Grip loss on the curb / understeer, from his onboard there's no opening of the wheel etc

Regardless of the penalty ... ultimately Perez assumed the risk of (potentially) leaving less than a car's width between his car and the line (ergo making the inside car climb the curb) and it did not pay off.
https://i.imgur.com/I0BWBtc.png
Exactly.

Look at the angle of Sergios car.

That only works if there isn't a car where you're trying to turn and nobody, not even the stewards would say George didn't have a right to be there.

And if you can manage to be balanced enough, you can see that George's understeer comes from being forced onto the kerbs by Sergio.

You can try as much as you want to take a line that ignores that there is a car there, but there is a price to pay for that.

I don't know if I want to believe anything that Marko says, but if Sergio was indeed warned to not try that move before the race even started, then it goes to show that even though George was penalised, RB themselves knows Sergio made his own bed there.

Sieper

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 16:10
I’m sure the Dutch fans were cheering him when he got onto the podium and post race interview.
I didn’t hear any booing? But all 300.000 fans were bad, Mercedes’ fans at danger from the Dutch, all 300.000 were Dutch, and at Silverstone nothing bad happened, no arrests were made for fights. And the ones that were, must have been Dutch fans.

This is getting beyond ridiculous.
Last edited by Sieper on 11 Jul 2022, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 17:02
chrisc90 wrote:
I’m sure the Dutch fans were cheering him when he got onto the podium and post race interview.
I didn’t hear any booing? But all 300.000 fans were bad, Mercedes’ fans at danger from the Dutch, all 300.000 were Dutch, and at Silverstone nothing bad happened, no arrests were made for fights. And the ones that were, must have been Dutch fans.

I think we all know it was just a few individuals on both sides, but this is the sort of crap that gathers clicks and clicks mean money. I would like to say ignore it, but that is not really sensible, so all I can say is we should all be balanced.

Dont know how many remember a couple of decades ago, football was often like this, so maybe we should loo at how they handled it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Gillian
Gillian

Hamilton was cheered on during both the interviews and the podium ceremony. He heard it and acknowledged it by saying a few good words.

Similarly he was cheered on a lot last year in Zandvoort and I'm sure he will be again this year.

There was some idiotic behaviour this weekend by a few people sure, but let's not pretend it's just because of Verstappen fans/Dutch people . Similarly not all Dutch people are Verstappen fans, nor are all Verstappen fans Hamilton haters.

There even exists dutch people who cheer for both Verstappen and Hamilton and who can see they both are excellent drivers.

Big Tea

Gillian wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 18:28
Hamilton was cheered on during both the interviews and the podium ceremony. He heard it and acknowledged it by saying a few good words.

Similarly he was cheered on a lot last year in Zandvoort and I'm sure he will be again this year.

There was some idiotic behaviour this weekend by a few people sure, but let's not pretend it's just because of Verstappen fans/Dutch people . Similarly not all Dutch people are Verstappen fans, nor are all Verstappen fans Hamilton haters.

There even exists dutch people who cheer for both Verstappen and Hamilton and who can see they both are excellent drivers.
I wish I could rate this positive =D> =D> =D>
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Big Tea wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 19:13
Gillian wrote:

Same. I can’t stand this polarising in society and inability to see the bigger picture. Happened on the discord forum too. Shame it has to happen everywhere we go

PlatinumZealot

There are majority good people but the point is that from an optics point of view the hooligan crowd is orders bigger than it was before 2021.

Cant say if it's the netflix effect or the orange army passing it's critical mass.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 19:51
Big Tea wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 19:13
Gillian wrote:

Same. I can’t stand this polarising in society and inability to see the bigger picture. Happened on the discord forum too. Shame it has to happen everywhere we go
I was reading a twitter thread about the upcoming JWST picture release, and some of the people there were busy arguing whether Trump or Biden are the worst i.e. nothing to do with the subject in hand. People with polarised views get everywhere.

But in F1, booing a driver is childish, cheering a crash is reprehensible, groping other race goers is criminal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sosic2121
sosic2121

After taking a closer look at the accident, I feel Russell shouldn't be punished. I think he left more than enough space.
What happened with Albon Vettel incident?

InsaneX_Badger

sosic2121 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 00:05
After taking a closer look at the accident, I feel Russell shouldn't be punished. I think he left more than enough space.
Think he was handed a 5 sec penalty quite swiftly?

F1NAC

sosic2121 wrote:
I initially thought that as well, but looking at the footage later on, he had tiny snap that led him into the Perez

sosic2121
sosic2121

F1NAC wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 08:04
sosic2121 wrote:
I initially thought that as well, but looking at the footage later on, he had tiny snap that led him into the Perez
Seemed like Perez had much more grip than George(Mercedes slow tire warm up?) and George just couldn't keep tight line. But still it looked to me like Perez could have avoided the crash.
Of course, penalty is not the issue, it's the lack of consistency!

Sieper

Big Tea wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 18:21
Sieper wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 17:02
chrisc90 wrote:

I think we all know it was just a few individuals on both sides, but this is the sort of crap that gathers clicks and clicks mean money. I would like to say ignore it, but that is not really sensible, so all I can say is we should all be balanced.

Dont know how many remember a couple of decades ago, football was often like this, so maybe we should loo at how they handled it.
I agree we should be vigilant, and I know from personal experience how these "fests" are. not my cup of tea, but I really fail to see how this is like an 80s football match, for the most part it was a big party, I haven't seen anything malicious (as like on Silverstone, just happy faces). Not even booing this time. Yet it is all we read about.

basti313
basti313

sosic2121 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 09:32
F1NAC wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 08:04
sosic2121 wrote:
Seemed like Perez had much more grip than George(Mercedes slow tire warm up?) and George just couldn't keep tight line. But still it looked to me like Perez could have avoided the crash.
Of course, penalty is not the issue, it's the lack of consistency!
If you hit the rear wheel of an opponent with your front wheel it is consistently in any racing series a penalty. F1 is starting to get back to this luckily. There is no inconsistency.
mvfad wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 16:29
Russell vs Perez was equal to Mag vs Hamilton in Barcelona. Both race incidents, but one got a penalty and the other didn't.
ridiculous inconsistencies.
Sorry, but did you ever watch the incidents?
Ham vs. Mag was wheel to wheel contact. Per vs. Rus was front vs. rear contact. Completely different. Consistently different ruling in every racing series.
Don`t russel the hamster!