FIA failed again?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ispano6

Re: FIA failed again?

The FIA's failure is the inconsistent rules changes. Rules are rules. DAS wasn't banned mid- season, but flexiwings were. It seems that some teams have been benefitting from both the FIA's action and inaction. I'm not even confident in the FIAs ability to verify like for like in a parc ferme.

Neuron

LM10 wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 10:23
Do you really want the drivers being the only differentiator?
This is big question - whether F1 should be about the best drivers or the best drivers in the best cars? Or even medicore drivers in the best cars. What is more important - driver or a car? What is more important for viewers? This is at the end a question if Hamilton was faster than everyone or just faster than Bottas? Schumacher just faster than Barichello or everyone? Vettel in RBR era faster than Webber only?

Has this ever been the case in F1?

Why not change if in this terms it's bad?

Why don’t people being unhappy about the driver not being the only differentiator go watch spec racing instead? It exists.
Quite egoistic behaviour - don't ask don't complain, just go away if you don't like what you see, ya ?

marvin78

That's ok if there are alternatives. Then complaining is pretty senseless.

LM10

Neuron wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 20:30
This is big question - whether F1 should be about the best drivers or the best drivers in the best cars? Or even medicore drivers in the best cars. What is more important - driver or a car? What is more important for viewers? This is at the end a question if Hamilton was faster than everyone or just faster than Bottas? Schumacher just faster than Barichello or everyone? Vettel in RBR era faster than Webber only?
For me it’s not a big question, but a simple one with a straightforward answer to it. I want more differentiators, not only the drivers. Pinnacle engineering with different clever solutions has always been the hallmark of F1. It’s enough done by giving teams the same financial possibilities. Let the rest be their problem instead of making things even stricter just because not every single car has the same pace.

Neuron wrote:
What exactly is the bad part? We’ve had an amazing title fight last year and this year is not going to be a walk in the park for a single team either.

Neuron wrote:
Quite egoistic behaviour - don't ask don't complain, just go away if you don't like what you see, ya ?
It’s at least as equally egoistic from your side to wish for changes just because you don’t like things as they are.

SiLo

ispano6 wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 20:07
The FIA's failure is the inconsistent rules changes. Rules are rules. DAS wasn't banned mid- season, but flexiwings were. It seems that some teams have been benefitting from both the FIA's action and inaction. I'm not even confident in the FIAs ability to verify like for like in a parc ferme.
Well DAS was permitted by the rules, and was closed off as a loophole for the next year. Flexible wings have been a point of contention for years, so it always gets clamped down quickly. I think DAS was handled quite well tbh.
Felipe Baby!

Andres125sx

Neuron wrote:
LM10 wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 10:23
Do you really want the drivers being the only differentiator?

Has this ever been the case in F1?

Why don’t people being unhappy about the driver not being the only differentiator go watch spec racing instead? It exists.
Quite egoistic behaviour - don't ask dont complain, just go away if you don't like what you see, ya ?
F1 has always been the same, even at the beginning. 1950 season only had 3 drivers winning a race, and the third was at Indianapolis which was in the F1 calendar, Farina and Fangio won all the rest

It's not egoistic, it's assuming what you're watching which is a championship were both drivers and manufacturers/teams compete.

Even so I'd also prefer if drivers role was bigger, but F1 is what it is, drivers like Button, Rosberg or Kimi can win the title even if they fight with much more talented drivers like Hamilton, Verstappen or Alonso, if they are in the right car. Drivers on the best car also deserve some merit, teams are not idiots, if they hire him there must be a reason, and it is not that they are mediocre, period :wink:

JordanMugen

Andres125sx wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 12:45
Drivers on the best car also deserve some merit, teams are not idiots, if they hire him there must be a reason, and it is not that they are mediocre, period :wink:
Sir Frank Williams' views on the best driver to sign seemed to vary a lot between 1992 and 1998! :lol:

That seemed to show that with the best car it didn't matter that much whether Mansell, Prost, Senna, Hill or Villeneuve was driving it... Through probably Hill was not good as the tragically killed Senna or retired Prost hence losing to Schumacher's Benetton.

Jolle

ispano6 wrote:
There are a lot of differences. With DAS, Mercedes consulted the FIA during the design process and before the season with DAS asking clarifications about it's legality. If they had done the same with flex wings, how big would the chance be that they were green lit like DAS?

Andres125sx

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 00:39
Andres125sx wrote:
Drivers on the best car also deserve some merit, teams are not idiots, if they hire him there must be a reason, and it is not that they are mediocre, period :wink:
Sir Frank Williams' views on the best driver to sign seemed to vary a lot between 1992 and 1998! :lol:

That seemed to show that with the best car it didn't matter that much whether Mansell, Prost, Senna, Hill or Villeneuve was driving it... Through probably Hill was not good as the tragically killed Senna or retired Prost hence losing to Schumacher's Benetton.
I hope you´re not insinuating Mansell, Prost, Senna, Hill or Villeneuve were mediocre drivers :?:

PlatinumZealot

Neuron wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 20:34
During 2021 we have heard a lot of high hopes:

- new era is coming!
- equal chances!
- equal start!
- equal budget!

And what we got in the middle of this new era is the picture below. We are still forced to watch RBR, Mercedes and Ferrari. 10km/h+ faster through the corners. Still 1st and 2nd league.

I know that F1 always was like that (even worse considering Schumacher's , Vettel's and Hamilton's marathones) but what was the reason to make such big promises?

Or... I am wrong and budget cap will work hard from 2023?

https://i.imgur.com/z7pNX9M.jpg
Very premature! Give it some time.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JordanMugen

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 07:40
JordanMugen wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

I hope you´re not insinuating Mansell, Prost, Senna, Hill or Villeneuve were mediocre drivers :?:
Not at all! Merely the notion that a team would hire and then presumably retain the best drivers.

It seems Sir Frank was more than willing to replace an excellent driver with another excellent driver, and produced 4 different WDCs in 6 years of competition.

So much for the conventional wisdom that stability is best!

ispano6

Jolle wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 01:55
ispano6 wrote:
There are a lot of differences. With DAS, Mercedes consulted the FIA during the design process and before the season with DAS asking clarifications about it's legality. If they had done the same with flex wings, how big would the chance be that they were green lit like DAS?
Like I mentioned, it is the ability of FIA to be able to accurately police fairness and legality but now they also police the 'spirit' of the rules. DAS was deemed illegal wasn't it, clever but still utilized the steering wheel to do something other than turn the car, as well as change the settings of the tow, not to mention possibility even altering aerodynamics and wake. Flexiwings had a static test, specific prescribed tests, but Mercedes voiced complaints that the flex rear wing flexed under aerodynamic load, again a spirit of the rules policing. DAS was allowed all season, not flexiwing. In the end, Red Bull and Max won WDC with Honda power so it's all good. This season Mercedes came off arrogant but dropped the ball with porpoising or forgot to pick it up as they were caught out by flexifloors that they hadn't considered, if it is that teams actually have flexing floors.

Incidentally, Ferrari seemed to have some porpoising in France entering Turn 10, I wonder if it is within FIAs oscillation limit.

Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 19:18
DAS was deemed illegal wasn't it,
No, it wasn't. The rules were subsequently rewritten to specifically prevent it being done again precisely because it wasn't illegal according to the rules in force at the time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 21:36
Andres125sx wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 07:40
JordanMugen wrote:

Not at all! Merely the notion that a team would hire and then presumably retain the best drivers.

It seems Sir Frank was more than willing to replace an excellent driver with another excellent driver, and produced 4 different WDCs in 6 years of competition.

So much for the conventional wisdom that stability is best!
Sir Frank changed drivers because he wasn't prepared to pay the salary that a newly crowned world champion might ask for. Certainly that applied with Mansell and Hill. Prost retired after a single title-winning season with Williams, Senna never got the chance to.

Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
The FIA's failure is the inconsistent rules changes. Rules are rules. DAS wasn't banned mid- season, but flexiwings were.
DAS wasn't against the rules, flexing wings were. That is consistent.